Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4 Front Spring Top Insulator Alternative Required - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 Front Spring Top Insulator Alternative Required

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

removing them will effectively lower the car...

I have JRZ adjustables so I don't use them anymore, but then I also have adjustable spring perches.

It would be possible to make a simple mold and make some out of polyurethane, but it would help to have an undamaged one to create the mold from...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 5 years later...
On 02/02/2012 at 21:24, Vulcan Grey said:

removing them will effectively lower the car...

I have JRZ adjustables so I don't use them anymore, but then I also have adjustable spring perches.

It would be possible to make a simple mold and make some out of polyurethane, but it would help to have an undamaged one to create the mold from...

I know it's an old thread but I am fitting new springs and I was wondering whether I would change them or not and ended up here. Anyway, the pair I have on my car are just two big black rubber (?) washers so a mould would be easy to make. For your information SJSportscar has them available apparently. But I suspect they are not the Lotus original ones since they are yellow and the pair I have is black.

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/A082C4069F.htm

Do you all confirm there is nothing at the rear axle? (I can't see anything like an insulator from the diagram but I haven't addressed the rear springs yet)

Thanks, yes in the meantime I had a look at the parts manual rather than the deroure drawing and I basically found the same thing.

The only problem is that in the comment column it's not written the VIN number limit ... I suspect the later part is always preferred? (in my case for a european S4s it would be a P625.3103.009AF too)

May I ask you gentlemen if there is any idea, apart from lifespan, in making these front and rear isolators in polyurethane?

And those yellow ones from SJ for the front, are they in polyurethane?

I was thinking that if one does the Whole suspension setup, why not swap these as well, so they are firm and nice for many years, not going sloppy like rubber.

Would it be even better to use the ones in aluminium? Or can they all four be deleted?

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

25 minutes ago, Jacques said:

May I ask you gentlemen if there is any idea, apart from lifespan, in making these front and rear isolators in polyurethane?

Steve from SJSportscars confirmed it's made out of polyurethane, same shore hardness as the originals in rubber.
I think these are the only one available (at least the only ones I found yet)

25 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Would it be even better to use the ones in aluminium?

Better I don't know, it probably depends on what you are after. The thing I know is that, generally speaking on modern cars, those pads can actually be complex compounds chosen very wisely, with non linear deflection laws, and that the spring behaviour is calculated and dimensioned with that deflection law in mind.

And a rubber/polyurethane probably helps the spring to resist to corrosion by protecting the paint, too.

33 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

SJ lists the S4s rear isolators.

Yes, but would you confirm the European S4s proper part number is P625.3103.009AF? (my part manual doesn't say anything about the VIN limit unfortunately ...)

EDIT : Apparently, all models with Brembo brakes use P625.3103.009AF as rear upper cups isolators (just got a reply from Steve/SJS)

4 minutes ago, Giniw said:

Yes, but would you confirm the European S4s proper part number is P625.3103.009AF? (my part manual doesn't say anything about the VIN limit unfortunately ...)

Yes, that's correct.

You should trust sailorbob, though. If that's what he says it is, then that's what it is!

Margate Exotics.