Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
finally got around to removing the anti roll bar - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

finally got around to removing the anti roll bar

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done simialr a few times on other cars.

I usually cut most of the way through in a couple of places if possible then chisel a section out, but you need to be really careful you don't hit the bore.

I'm concerned about getting the new one back in TBH...

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

Interested to see how you do it Pete as i have a pair sitting on the shelf in the shed, waiting for the day when I strip the front suspension again. But if you manage to get them in on the car I will take it as inspiration and have a go.

well, the antiroll bar is now ready for the reinstall, i was going to begin putting the bushes in but i had a turbo stud snap (as i was taking them out to replace) so looks like it will be tomorrow night.

1451899d.jpg

It's Oogies turn to boogie

well i got the anti roll bar bushes in this evening, a made up tool using a 32mm impact socket a long 19mm headded bolt and a few thick washes. used some washingup liquid on the outside of the bush. just take your time and in it goes., i used a 13mm bolt to get it started, then the 19mm as the pressure will strip teh threads on the 13mm.

ca8aca40.jpg

c2d1a84b.jpg

3dff8e88.jpg

• Gold FFM

Worse come to worse you can always use a propane torch to burn out the bushing. ( I realise it makes quite a foul smell ) I have had to do this a few times when i was in places I could not get the part to the 20 ton press.

Peter looks like you have been progressing well

• Gold FFM

Well done. There's always a way. :thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Excellent, that was what I was planning but I was concerned it wouldn't be enough!

Better get some ordered....

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• 2 years later...

Something else that helps when installing bushings is to put them in the freezer overnight to freeze them which makes them a bit smaller and then just before taking out of the freezer to install heat up with a torch where they go in so it expands. Let cool enough to not melt of course..

All this talk of circlips has got me confused

I need to replace the ARB to lower link bushes on my 1990 N/A, which look like the ones at SJ, part number A089C6088F.

Looking at the old ones and the photo on the SJ website these just look like rubber bushes and I can't see any clips holding the (wobbly) old ones in.

I'm hoping that I can just cut out the old ones and wind the new ones in with some studding, suitable nuts and washers and a bit of lubricant? Am I missing something??

The 88-SE's have a slightly different ARB bushing that then later S4 and S4s cars.  The earlier bushing is just rubber and presses in, it is not retained by a circlip.

You need this

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/68222-arb-bush-insertion-tool/

IMAG0931.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

New bushes arrived today - wow my old ones are worn! The hole in the centre of mine is so big that it just slides onto the ARB. The hole in the new one is tiny by comparison!

Now, before I get to lubing and pressing, which way round do they go?

I'm sure I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the wider shoulder goes towards the front and that they should be pressed in narrow shoulder first? That means they need to be fitted from the front then? Doesn't that mean that the fixed wishbone would be in the way of the press piston?

Just need to be certain I have them the right way round before it's too late

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

So for proper orientation, look at this photo.

The thicker half of the bushing goes in first in this orientation.  So the thicker portion will be towards the front of the car.

IMAG0943.jpg

Thicker side down.

IMAG0944.jpg

Also look here

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/59803-replacing-front-suspension-bushes-advice-please/

This image shows orientation as well

front_suspension_parts_03.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks Travis. I just assumed they would need to be fitted 'thin end first' for ease.

I'm going to try drawing them in with some studding and washers so may try going in from the front, then they will still be the right way round once fitted.

I'm borrowing PilotSteve's special cone tool so hoping that this won't be too painful an experience...

I's pretty easy with the cone tool like Steve's.  I also made a conical pusher, that is obviously not needed, since Steve doesn't have one.  I did use liquid dish soap as a lubricant on the bushing.

I'm not sure drawing them in with a stud will work, since the inner diameter of the bushing probably needs to shrink a bit to get through the hole in the wishbone.   I did try that method (without the cone) and that did not work at all...

A large bench vise with a cylindrical pusher would work...  My press made it super easy.

MAKE SURE!!! that you only support the cylindrical lip of the wishbone, so that you don't bend the entire thing!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Ian,

Yours is an S4s model with completely different ARB and bush's.. The configuration of the mount within

the bottom wishbone has changed using a simpler system with cir-clips.. Very straight forward and does

not require a installation tool ...

I'm not sure drawing them in with a stud will work, since the inner diameter of the bushing probably needs to shrink a bit to get through the hole in the wishbone.   I did try that method (without the cone) and that did not work at all...

That's what my concern is... I'll give it a try with some 10mm studding which is smaller than the hole. I'm hoping there'll be enough 'pull' to drag it through while the studding keeps everything centred. That's the optimist in me right there...

If not, then plan B is my friend's large vice. Plan C is the garage down the road who have a press.

Thanks to both of you, Travis and Dave!

I was already to machine up a tool, there!

Ian, I think your problem is the circlips... From what I've read here they can seize into the hole. I don't have that problem with mine but I have plenty of other challenges to overcome. All part of the fun (apparently).

Mine needed a tool to put them in. Give the recesses for the circlip a good clean an you may need a thin screwdriver to get the remains of the circlips out. I also found it easier to fit the atr into the bushes drivers side 1st