Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Antifreeze - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Antifreeze

nigeninja

Just been down to halfords for some Antifreeze,i left the shop without buying any.

I looked at the ones in the shop and most of the labels said things like, engines built after 98,one had engines built after 2004,I think one said after 98 and suitable for alloy engines :dizzy: .

Most of them had this on the label Organic Acid Technology,so is this a load of B****CKS and I can just put anything in or is there somthing specific i should use ? :):shuriken:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently using the comma pink one, which you can get in halfords...although I couldnt find it originally, so made the mistake of asking someone who worked there, they said they only sold their own brand...then two mins later I found it in a different part of the shop! Useless...

Anyhow I digress, I use the pink one x40 I think it is as its suitable for alloy engines, Lamborghini etc.... I do have a stock of the proper castrol stuff too for the next engine out service end of the year to change too. Ive had no issues, it runs fine with no temp issues etc. As any coolant in my car wont be in there for more than about 2 years, or 3 to5000 miles I dont see any issues.

if you aren't doing a full flush, then you need to put in the same color as what you had. Changing to a different type while there is still old coolant is bad, they will reduce each others corrosion prevention additives. And can gunk things up.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 5 weeks later...

Most antifreeze doesn't have as good thermal transmission properties as pure water but using pure water brings far more issues than it solves. So, using antifreeze means the car's system tends to be running very marginally warmer with antifreeze but each type will be marginally different.

And that's bad because.....?

I'm glad that Sue's engine runs cool on the pink stuff, one less thing to worry about !

John

Boost old boy, if the engine runs under 73-78 degrees you dont get max boost

To be fair John, I think I have a thermostat issue, rather than it just being the coolant type, but that plus the extra core in the new rad contributes.

• 6 months later...

Ring Lotus now and ask for their technical dept. They'll recommend the pink stuff (OAT), we had all this come up some years ago when a dodgy vendor was selling chargecooler impellers which dissolved in it!

Blue stuff - change annually.

Pink stuff - change ever 5 years.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

As I said before, use the same color that was already in the car!

Unless you are flushing about 10gal of distilled water through to change the color of antifreeze. Which I have done...

If you mix two different types they turn into gunk and you lose the corrosion prevention.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

They still use the same technology for coolant!

No offense guys but....... http://www.jaylenosg...ant/index.shtml

I have it in my cars and never changed it. The minute you introduce water to the cooling system you are compromising. Period.

http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/

Edited by Bentzion

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

Do not rely on the colour of the antifreeze to identify it, there is no agreed standard and manufacturers can pick the colour regardless of type. For example, Toyota used a red dye for their IAT antifreeze that contained no silicates.

You should not mix antifreeze types; OAT chemicals react with the inorganic salts in IAT antifreeze and, as said above, causes sludge to form as the salts precipitate out. If you ensure the system is properly flushed then you'll be OK to switch types (assuming the antifreeze you are using is OK for your engine).

Buddsy,

Living in southern California you run very hot temps and I can attest that my truck and car run consistently better with the Evans. In 160k miles on my truck I have already replaced the radiator and cooling ancillaries twice in seven years because of corrosion!! Besides that that this stuff doesnt run water it also doesnt run contain really bad chemicals that are trying to counteract the effects of the water. I would call one of the racing shops on their lists of stockists on the UK site and talk to them before making a decision. Good Luck!

Edited by Bibs
Removed quote

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?

I use the pink comma type. Purely because thats what I bought and its compatible with all-alloy engines like ours. As mentioned, dont mix it with different types qnd also mentioned its the characteristics of the coolant not the colour dye that determin its compatibility so check the lable!

Also on another note, dont fret too much over particular makes as we dont live in an extreme environment country that would demand a certain performance as such...so long as your system is in good order, clean and efficient there should be.no issues with using any of the varieties available.

As bibs mentioned, 'pink' seems to have a longer life span, however as the consciousness owners we all are im sure, the timing belt change should also be done every time with a change of waterpump. This would require a.coolant flush or change, resulting in a coolant change every2 or3 years anyhow deypendant upon you model and year..

Edited by dodge1979