Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sell up or upgrade? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Sell up or upgrade?

red vtec

I have been thinking of selling the Esprit and maybe looking for an SE/S4/GT3.

But I'm in two minds, I currently have an early stevens carbed turbo, that I have basically sorted all the fiddly bits on, gearlinkage, windows, A/C, new brakes etc etc.., should I upgrade it for a bit more power? or sell and replace with a charge cooled model or will I just be starting again with sorting fiddly issues out? I like the idea of fuel injection and the ability to strt up and drive away, the carbed turbo takes some cranking and then needs to warm up a bit.

I really do not know which way to go.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Convert it to injection using a stand alone ECU (that will dispense with the distributor too) add a chargecooler, poss recon/gasflow head and away you go. Better the devil you know etc...

• Gold FFM

GT3 mate - you know it makes sense!

I still miss my Carb Turbo, but the GT3 performance/handling/ride more than compensate. Find yourself a younger car.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

GT3. Had a refresher drive at the weekend and they are just the greatest 4 cylinder Esprit made. Its the later dash, power steering and braking system that seals the deal.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I really dont want to start fitting injection etc as I feel it will ruin the car from a price point of view in the long run, carbed turbos are rare.

I have always liked the GT3, power steering etc..Sparky is the GT3 really that much better?, I have only really driven my esprit.

Trevor just lend me the 350 ;)

I noticed on the trip up to Gaydon last year, I was running out of puff with all of the later cars.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Chris,

I have to agree with Sparky and Trevor, and not just because I almost did Sparky in with a glass of Knob Whiskey...LOL !

Seriously though, There is much to benefit from by selling up as opposed to upgrading. I finally had the chance to sit in an earlier car. Still am amazed at even how much the S4 is different...from the electrics to the seating...with comparison to your current car.

Yes, I believe that getting a newer one you will be back into the fiddling around with minor issues and such. However that is also the part of joy of owning older supercars. If I could not fiddle around but just drive I would be utterly bored with my Lotus. Though I do have the tendency to go to some extremes.

Having never driven a GT3 I can imagine it is quite the car.

• Gold FFM

Reckon you need to come and drive it, mate!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The easier and probably cheaper option is sell and buy one with what you want, it would mean the risk of "What if the new one turns out to be a pile of ****?", that's a risk you always taking buying a car that's used but a decent bit of research before and you should be OK.

stand alone ecu.. thats what I am doing on my s3.

Very sensible move as it loses the distributor and you can programme 2 or 3 different boost curves either by switching or by gears. Plus when it is mapped on a rolling road you will get the best power and economy - especially if you use closed loop.

• Gold FFM

Knob Creek - my God.

The GT3 is truly wonderful to drive. It's as if Lotus saved up all the fixes and bundled them into this model. This car is so sorted, it really can be your daily drive. And when you open it up, plenty of power to have fun with!

It drives beautifully, like a modern car, around town and in traffic, yet behaves as a Lotus should on the open road. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Mike, unfortunetly I 'm not a bus driver in Corby, but a few things have happened round me lately and i'm thinking its a time to get on with things.

I'm going to start having a look around I don't mind something that needs work on it, or trim that needs renovating etc.

Sparky I used the current one as a daily driver the other year, whilst ok it was hard work.

Amateurs built the Ark

I have seen that one Pete, Hopo are you serious???

Amateurs built the Ark