Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Another code 26 problem - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Another code 26 problem

Well after messing around getting the laptop to work I finally got the fault codes off the ECU using Freescan.

codes read as follows.

26- Quad driver (QDM) circuits

26- TIP some relay (Probably) or secondary injector is open circuit

26B- a/c clutch, EGR, chk lite, fan, wastegate or canister relay

26A- Coolant or RPM relay - secondary injectors

Car is a 96 GT3 with revised relays in engine bay, car has no a/c.

car starts ok runs for 30-40 secs then the chk engine lite comes on. It runs a little lumpy at idle but really it always has. I know about the QDM error in freescan so what is likely to be the cause? relay's or secondary injectors?

Would Espritmon be better to diagnose if so how, I'm not really an electronics/diagnostics man so simple language would help.

Thanks in advance

Ade

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best to clear the codes and see if they come back. Occasionally a few codes can all pop up at the same time due to a voltage spike, or other intermittent condition.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Yes did that Travis as there were a couple of stored codes relating to low coolant level. Started car then after about 40 secs CEL came on and the above codes were seen. Will re set this morning to see if same happens.

Having read loads of post about code 26 problems I'm going to try and use Espritmon to test the relays, If I can work out how.

• Gold FFM

Try pulling the relays out, cleaning contacts and simply refitting them. Amazing how many times that has fixed electrical issues I have had in cars and motorbikes.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

You'll have to follow the steps for the diagnostic flow chart in the EMH manual for those code 26's.

The steps are pretty easy to follow, IIRC you only need a multimeter and a test light, and freescan or espritmon. Not sure if either of those can enter "Field Service Mode" or not though...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Adrian, if you need to eliminate the secondary injectors whilst testing I think ive got a spare secondary relay knocking around...infact if it is the relay at fault its easy to repair...however, if you can get espritmon working, youll need to activate the relays.as.you mentioned using the program...this is the easiest way. Freescan is.not as.accurate, I think if.i remember right it lists a qdb fault for either 2 or 1 on the wrong table...

I also had the same issue getting the program working with windows7... I still.do.it.seems pot luck on my laptop!

Thanks Darren, I may need to take you up on that. Going to have another look at it today as I didn't yesterday due to coming down with a stinking cold. I have finally got the programs running on windows 7 as soon as I managed to assign one of the usb ports as a comm port using the link that Chris posted. Can you pm me your number in case I need it?

If it is one of the relays are they readily available from a motor factors or special Lotus parts?

Cheers

Ade

Hi John,

Yes read that along with anything else I can find code 26 related. I'm fairly sure it's a relay and probably the secondary injector one.

Darren has very kindly offered to meet up at this weekends LDC breakfast meet and play swap the relay to see if that is the issue. I have checked all the vac pipes and had all the associated connectors off and cleaned them all to no avail.

Ok, its a secondary injector resistor module....if the resistors blown for some reason, then the ecu wont be recieving the correct signals at whatever voltage it requires, even when the circuit isnt demanding use surely?type of thing.... :s if it does turn out not to be that system, Ive got a spare vac solenoid for the ebv/throttle jack..they also throw the code up..forgot to mention that earlier when we talked.Ill bring it anyhow.

Thanks Darren, that would be great, at least then we can eliminate the relays which will hopefully solve the problem. If it does turn out not to be relay related I suppose other things it could be is the MAT sensor but I dont think so as I was getting a MAT reading on freescan, throttle jack, or the wastegate solenoid.

A variety of problems can cause code 26 errors; low voltage, high voltage, duff relays etc etc. Can I suggest you try Espritmon or TunerPro to narrow down the error to A, B or both QDMs.

QDM 'A'

Canister purge relay

Check engine lights

Radiator fan relay

Wastegate solenoid

QDM 'B'

A/C control relay

EBP valve / throttle jack relay

Engine overheat relay

RPM relay

Secondary injectors / secondary injector ballast resistor

The search goes on. Thanks to Darren who very kindly let me play swap the relay yesterday but to no avail. We did find something odd however that I would like confirmation on. My car which is a November 96 GT3 does not have a throttle jack solenoid fitted. I know the GT3 does not have an EBV but I didn't realise it didn't have a throttle jack either or is my car unique. The connectors are in the wiring loom but tie wrapped together out of the way.

We decided that the most likely cause is the purge solenoid.

I really want to check if these are working but I cannot get espritmon to run. How do you change the value in the config file to 0 to run the data?

The throttle jack is there to raise the idle rpm in order to overcome the increased back pressure caused by the EBP valve. I don't believe it was fitted to the GT3 models.

Open the 'lotus.cfg' in a text editor (such as Windows notepad) to alter the setting. You'll find the file in the Espritmon 'cfg' sub directory.

• 2 weeks later...

My car regularly has engine check light on, it's always code 26 and all I have to do is remove the relays give them a shake, shove them back in and all is well, well it is a lotus.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Here we are 3 months on and i have changed everything related to code 26 and some things that arn't. I have swapped all the relays with the ones in Darren's car, fitted a new O2 sensor, and also fitted a new purge canister, and still the light is on. There is a slight running issue developed that may be related, when i start the car either warm or cold and move off for the first minute or so at low revs the car seems to misfire and have little power. A quick blip if the throttle to get the revs above 2000 sorts it and after about a minute all is ok. So whats the next move?

Hi Adrian

Mine had a radiator problem a couple of weeks ago. The day before l took it to Matty to get sorted it started doing exactly the same as you are mentioning, on startup after a minute or two the CEL.

They sorted it out, they said something about the throttle jack also, seems to have sorted it.

Erik

Edited by Whirlybird

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

Ok, won't be that then. I didn't think the GT3 had the throttle jack but the service notes say it is used if you have a/c which I do have on mine.

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order, AS THEY SHOULD BE !

The vacum solenoid for it was still there along with the one for the EBV valve, but I thought they didnt have the EBV valve as standard....mind you talking last time I saw Ade we think his might be a bit 'special' in some areas!