Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus in the post DB era - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus in the post DB era

I've so enjoyed the discussions in the Bahar Suspended thread, but I think it is time we move on. Of course, I'll continue to follow the developments in the bunker in that thread, but the DB era is over and we need not rant on about it any longer.

What I am missing from Lotus right now is any clear message on the future. I accept that DRB has stated to continue development of the Esprit, but that is not going to be enough to make LOtus profitable. DB (oh no, not again) started many initiatives, but we havn't heard anything about their future. The Esprit alone will not be sufficient to make Lotus profitable, all competitors have more than one model out there and specifically the Eterne would seem to fit the market. Will we ever see a new Elise?

On the other hand will the merchandising and the Regent Street store continue? I think they should, its a business with the potential to print money and it really doesn't matter if customers are currently buying Enstone or Hethel - as long as they are buying.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Hopefully the man at the helm will inform us what he intends for Lotus future during Goodwood think he will have been in charge 2 weeks then; I seriously don't think he was not primed on what could and did happen with his promotion etc hopefully he has bought into what the paymasters have mapped for the future of Lotus cars

I am also keen to hear if he wants to retain the services of the people DB brought into GL and indeed are they willing to stay at least in the short term i.e. Esprit into production and Elise replacement

Oh so many questions

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Given the way people are speculating and confidence in the company is so low, they need to quickly confirm that something new is coming and give an indication of how big a model range they envisage in the short to medium term. Otherwise sales of the current cars will almost certainly be weaker.

I would also do it ahead of Goodwood as they are launching product there. BMW killed Rover by discussing its future at the Rover 75 launch. If they can announce something in the next week so that details of the business' future are discussed fully in the press separately then the new product can dominate articles about the launches and not be undermined.

Agreed, they need to set their stall out and inspire confidence.

Goodwood's a tricky one though, it's clearly part of DB's master plan and not cheap either! Will the new mob still want to promote the products DB had in mind, or are there major reshuffles behind the scenes? Either way it's a great showcase for the new owners and an opportunity to introduce themselves to the world, let's hope they don't blow it!

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

Hopefully the man at the helm will inform us what he intends for Lotus future during Goodwood think he will have been in charge 2 weeks then

I really hope we do not hear any new plans for Lotus after only 2 weeks. Someone new to the company should be spending the first few weeks meeting the key people, getting their opinions and then deciding whats good / where there needs to be continuity and whats bad / where there needs to be change.

Perhaps 2 weeks is enough to decide on a few no brainers where no change is needed (perhaps continuing with the new Esprit ?) Any significant changes of direction made after 2 weeks in the role will lack some credibility and smack of a new boss making changes just to show he is the boss.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, was just reading how the recently deceased FA Porsche was "encouraged" in the 70's to leave Porsche to form Porsche Design. He was brought back to the fold in the 90's as Supervisory Board Chairman. Even after retiring in 05, he was kept on as the honorary president of the Supervisory Board.

I don't think I have to say where I'm going with this. ;)

I'd first and foremost like to see a formal state from Lotus (or Hicom) conclusively stating confidence and stability in Lotus' future with some discussion of the future of the current models as well as those in the pipeline.

The Lotus needs to get into high gear and produce the cars on order and forthwith!

I think Lotus need to get away from all of the Bahar marketing fluff and sponsorship of non Lotus racing cars and do what they do best. Engineer and produce great cars.

With Lotus financial difficulties one must wonder how smart it is to spend any money at all on racing, even with the win on Sunday sell on Monday axiom. But if they are going to go racing then all racing activities should be limited to supports of cars actually made by Lotus, rather than badge engineering another chassis. I am perfectly OK with Lotus in F1 as is as the team (while historically named other things) do actually make a bespoke chassis. THe announcement of Kodewa is now contracted to produce a bespoke LMP cars is OK with me as well. Clearly racing the production cars as Lotus are currently doing is a good idea, but they need to provide actual support to the teams and assist with development rather than supplying tired machines and broken engines and then expecting any results. The Indy program and the lesser open wheel programs need to be scuttled. THe money spent there can go to other programs.

The really high end nobody in their right mind would spend that on a T-shirt accessories should be brought back to reality. Having at least some line of basic accessories that are reasonably cheap for the general public and enthusiasts alike to buy can only be a good thing.

But mostly I'd like to see my car get built.

Kyle Kaulback

He's visited all the white collar staff and said hello, found out what they do for the company which is a good, personable start. :)

And at a leading dealer I was told a visit was expected soon, as part of a trip around them all. (I've just realised that I'm very hazy as to the meaning of "all" in that context right now!)

And as to the model range near term, apart from the Elise S and Exige S, the Evora has the potential to be a truly marvellous car, in both versions, provided that the NA is given the "Radium equivalent" plus sports silencer and the S another 30 bhp or so. My fingers are crossed for Goodwood.

Edited by mdavies

And as to the model range near term, apart from the Elise S and Exige S, the Evora has the potential to be a truly marvellous car, in both versions, provided that the NA is given the "Radium equivalent" plus sports silencer and the S another 30 bhp or so. My fingers are crossed for Goodwood.

Any doubters, just see the Cold Air Intake thread for the new post by Anubis on his high speed test of the Radium kit! Satnav measured top speed of 174 mph! Now what does the S do.....?

Link to the Google Translate article in Bilanz Interesting bit is that it states that 35 senior folk have had contracts terminated including Bob Lutz. (I'd imagine if that is the case then it's the whole advisory board).

Bilanz has a good reputation here & it wouldn't be surprising if their source wasn't close to DB given the Swiss connection.

Link to the Google Translate article in Bilanz Interesting bit is that it states that 35 senior folk have had contracts terminated including Bob Lutz. (I'd imagine if that is the case then it's the whole advisory board).

Bilanz has a good reputation here & it wouldn't be surprising if their source wasn't close to DB given the Swiss connection.

tbh it took a while to get the translation right but now that i have the jist of it ...it all makes sense.

Mark my words on the Solstice of 2012 ....DB is going to ring them.

Anyway i digress ,the future ( so used to the suspended thread) Goodwood i agree is going to show a lot of nervous faces .Let us hope not embarressing though !!!

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

1. Sales in the US and China are key. The Elise and Exige need to make a reurn to the States. I love the Evora but dealers in the US can not survive on one car.

2. I hate to say this but Lotus needs a sports coupe to survive. People want sporks. (thats a utensil that combines a fork and spoon) Thats aCars that do everything for them. Eventually Lotus will need a SUV too. That is the only was to keep money flowing and continue making the great cars with personality.

My dealer is getting 5-10 calls per week asking about the Exige S, but it's not for sale here because Lotus didn't want to spend the $6M to get the emissions sorted. And of course the Elise was pulled too. So yes, all we have over here is the Evora.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

No worries, the new Eviscerate with the federally approved Evora S engine replacement installed is expected soon. Should be a screamer!

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

My dealer is getting 5-10 calls per week asking about the Exige S, but it's not for sale here because Lotus didn't want to spend the $6M to get the emissions sorted. And of course the Elise was pulled too. So yes, all we have over here is the Evora.

surely it is airbag / crash testing. The transmission is already over there, is it not?