Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus in the post DB era - Page 10 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus in the post DB era

People seem to forget Lotus past. When the Esprit was launched it cost more than any Ferrari at the time, the Elite was very expensive too and my S1 Elise at over £30k 12 years ago was hardly cheap.

They'll always be badge snobbery but the Esprit will sell if they do it well from the start ( not a half finished launch mode like the Evora was).

That would be good for Lotus! Both Nissan and Renault would/could be build on a shortened or lengthened Evora chassis. This could generate enough cash for Lotus to start development on the next gen Elise assuming that Esprit is in its final phase of development that is!

Edited by NedaSay

Apologies if this has been mentioned before and I missed it, but since we were talking earlier in this thread about the lack of Elise and Exige S in the US market now, I thought I'd mention that Lotus announced last week that they'd be making ten Exige Cup V6s available for sale to the US. They sold out within 4 hours, so the dealers are trying to convince Lotus to make more available, which would seem a no-brainer since the ten sold out so fast.

USA - Exige Cup V6 Data Sheet

post-6978-0-97985300-1344881697.jpeg

Forgot to mention prices:

Exige CUP V6 MY13: $98,950

Air Conditioner: $1,800

Metallic Paint: $1,200

Premium Paint: $2,400

Motorsport Paint: $3,200

StarShield: $995

Diamond Cut Wheels (17"/18"): $550

Inland Freight and Handling: $1,500

Edited by Moxie

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Having Renault/Nissan on the horizon means someone is upping the antics on Lotus. It would be an excellent fit, from F1 through to the fact that there is no brand competion - unlike VW/Audi/Porsche/Lambo/... Perhaps excepting the GTR, which would certainly benefit from adding lightness (and looks).

Edited by TBD

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Apologies if this has been mentioned before and I missed it, but since we were talking earlier in this thread about the lack of Elise and Exige S in the US market now, I thought I'd mention that Lotus announced last week that they'd be making ten Exige Cup V6s available for sale to the US. They sold out within 4 hours, so the dealers are trying to convince Lotus to make more available, which would seem a no-brainer since the ten sold out so fast.

USA - Exige Cup V6 Data Sheet

post-6978-0-97985300-1344881697.jpeg

Forgot to mention prices:

Exige CUP V6 MY13: $98,950

Air Conditioner: $1,800

Metallic Paint: $1,200

Premium Paint: $2,400

Motorsport Paint: $3,200

StarShield: $995

Diamond Cut Wheels (17"/18"): $550

Inland Freight and Handling: $1,500

Ok if ten Exige S Cup have been snapped already, I have to ask why Lotus is not forking the money to make the exige and elise US compliant again! Just crash test a bunch of cars! The airbags are now conform to E.U standard so they must not be that far off to the US regulation. The Exige S has proper bumpers... That's obvious! So just crash test the 12 freakin cars already!

I know it's not quite that easy, there's probably a few thousand pages of paperwork to fill in :rtfm:

But really if the new COO is serious about providing cars globally:

New models will only be launched when the product and timing is right. Once we do launch a new product, we will ensure that we can deliver to customers anywhere in the world as scheduled.

http://skiddmark.com...-s-is-produced/

Just start with the Exige. Da....it!!!!

Edited by NedaSay

I've thought (and said more than a few times on here!) that either this partnership or one with Kia (who frequently suggest they want a brand building sports car too) was a no brainer, especially if the relationship developed to allow Lotus to develop future cost effective platforms they could use to replace the Elise and Evora with more rounded versions, or create something new like a more direct Boxster/Cayman/F-Type rival.

However even in the short term as a means of boosting production at Hethal this would be excellent news too.

Intriguingly synergistic possibilities here. Have the planets finally aligned?

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

And here we go again.........

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

He has to have a crack doesn't he? Who would touch him at the moment with this hanging over his head?

It's a real roll of the dice though isn't it?

If he wins, he is deemed innocent, but the innuendo will still take a bit of time to wash off.

If he loses, I would suspect he will never be given a management position again without very tight controls over his activities.

And then there'll be the appeals.....................

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

This could go on for longer than it take to build all the new cars

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

DB spent oodles of money on the TF issue ......probably more than Lotus has ever spent in its existence,on legal issues !

He is one of those Fu$%*rs that do bugger all ,,,,dress well and act like he is the sheik !

We have all heard about an asshole ....now we see it in the flesh !

THIS COMPANY IS NOT ABOUT COURT CASES !!!! this company is about building sports cars that people live to love and drive .

Now we all know why the world is in such a financial state ..........the whole frigging lot of them are assholes !

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Will be interesting to see whether he really was brought in to "polish the turd" and put Lotus up for sale.

Will be a great shame if all that was intended under his leadership was to maximise sale value, with a strategy that was only good enough to survive "due diligence", but with no intention for it to be a long term business plan

This action by bahar forges my passing dislike of him into a full blown seething tangle of red hot malice. You totally disregarded the core brand values of lotus. You pissed off everyone who likes lotus. You nearly sent them to the wall! And now younare trying to twist the knife??? Pay him the money. Pay it now so we can forget about him. I never want to hear his name again, his name will be struck from the stone as far as I am concerned. And there is no way I'm buying that filthy v8 esprit he did up at the companies expense. It is cursed!!!!

Love him or loathe him he was always going to be a tricky customer to dismiss and the new owners steamed in and handled the situation rather clumsily. It was bad publicity for Lotus at the time and now it's going to be bad publicity for a long time to come. Whatever anyone thinks of DB, ( I'm still on the fence here... ), he should've been quietly paid off and moved aside if that's what the new bosses wanted.

In the meantime that Esprit will make someone, somewhere very happy I'm sure... anyone know what they're asking?

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Having an affair with another marque... B-)