Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Someone talk me out of it.......... - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Someone talk me out of it..........

nello

OK .....as some of you know I have owned my G Turbo HC now for 18 years.

I bought it as the 3rd owner direct from Barry Elys'. It was the absolute object of adoration for me then and over the years. The car has only covered 54k and has only done 9000 miles in those 18 years.

Its been treated like a child - was main dealer serviced up until around 2000 when I got married (!)

Subsequent three house moves and two children later she's been laid up over the past 7-8 years.

Fortunately until recently I lived at then end of a private 1/2 mile road so the car could still be driven and turned over. Under its current cover and tarpaulin it still looks like new inside and out.

Calypso Red with 1/2 Sand leather. The wheels are immaculate still bearing an original full set of barely used NCT tyres. The car starts and drives. Its only two chassis numbers away from its twin car owned by Cliff.

With all this in mind the car is just not being used - It needs a full C service and obviously the brakes, wastegate and all fuel/cooling hoses need re-newing. But sadly I just do not have the time and funds to get the car back on the road. It really is part of the family - we went on our honeymoon in it but its a real shame that its just sitting there hence why I am now considering selling the car..................

Not really sure what its worth and even less sure if I could really let it go but I need convincing to the contrary that it should remain with me - my lads say they want it anyway!

Someone tell me I would be an idiot..............................please

garage_gallery-150-1129470752.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do what I did. I spent 20 odd years desperate to buy one - bought it, had it for 6 years, convinced myself that I shouldn't have one, sold it, spent the next 10 years wishing I hadn't sold it and then buying another one! Once you get bitten - it never leaves you. Plus in real terms, the repairs will still cost less than a good family hatchback. The other thing is - you know that car inside and out. It would take years to know another! DON'T SELL!

8 years is a long time, is there any reason why you can't use it even a few thousand miles a year? No plans for the future?

By the sounds of it your kids are growing up, believe me when they hit 14-15 they won't want to be seen dead anywhere with you. Middle age old fart-edness is just around the corner mate, you don't want to be seen in an MX5 or Z4, grey hair blowing in the breeze, you would look much cooler in the Esprit.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

8 years is a long time, is there any reason why you can't use it even a few thousand miles a year? No plans for the future?

By the sounds of it your kids are growing up, believe me when they hit 14-15 they won't want to be seen dead anywhere with you. Middle age old fart-edness is just around the corner mate, you don't want to be seen in an MX5 or Z4, grey hair blowing in the breeze, you would look much cooler in the Esprit.

What he said!

I have restored classic cars that have been stored for 20 years + This has been for enthusiasts like you

who put it away after having children. When the kids grow up what will you want to do.?...be an enthusiast

again....Many of these i did had memories such as yours , Honeymoon's, first meet, first joint car, or just

happy times.

Not one of them regretted keeping their classic and all had a special attachment when it was restored.

I have also built and restored for those replacing a classic they sold when at the point you are....they all had

one thing in common , disappointment they did not hang onto their original... for two reasons..1) It cost more to

buy one and get it how they wanted, than it would to have restored their original.... 2) sentimentality. (priceless)

Agree with everyone mate. If you can afford to keep it nice and maintained its a good investment if nothing else!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Unless you need the money keep it.

When the time comes for you to be able to enjoy it, how difficult will it be to find one in similar condition to yours if you sell it?

If you need logic - they are going up in value and will only go one way from here.

Like you I've toyed with the idea of selling my mint S3 NA on the basis that it doesn't get used other than for its annual service but have decided to keep it. In fact I've just bought another Esprit to put away and do up in my retirement.

Hi everyone

I would be really interested in what people think Neils car is worth as is.

To clarify, I am not interested in a HC Turbo as I am looking for a 30 year old early G Turbo.

The problem I am finding is putting a price on a car without an MOT or that needs work is difficult.

I have been keeping an eye on prices but there are so few cars like this for sale it is hard to judge.

Based on the info given I estimate somewhere between £5-7K.

About £2 to do the timing belt, brakes, wastegate, fuel/cooling hoses?

£1K in contingency for other items, shocks etc

Once done the car would be worth £10K+

Would I be miles out with these figures?

Sorry Neil if I just insulted you :sofa:

Please be gentle with the replies I am still learning.

As with all of these things - it depends. I have seen G's for as little as 3.5k - but needing masses of work to make them useable. What I have learnt is that the cheaper the car - the more it'll cost to put right and get to your own personal taste. Lets face it - we all have different standards.

Firstly - keep in mind why they were taken off the road in the first place. Buying a non-runner is like buying in the dark. You will never know the extent of issues until it is running. It also depends on how handy you are too.... and if you have the space / time to do it. If you buy like this - you may well need a higher contingency as there could be more hidden gremlins - like gearbox, clutch not to mention head gasket.

A SORN but near to ready G-car I would say 4-7k SHOULD get you something - but one that is unlikely to be MOT'd and in use.

My advice would be - pay up to 9k-10k for a running, MOT'd and serviceable car that you can use and keep £1,000 as the contingency. At least you know what you are buying.....

KW

I think that it depends on a lot of things. If you're looking for an early Turbo Esprit at 30 years you may be hitting a problem that some of them will be dry sump cars and these probably carry a premium to a wet sump.

Prices are all very subjective so don't shoot me down here but..take for example a 'barn find'. Say a 1981 Turbo Esprit that's been off the road for 20 years but has good body work, interior and is complete. If the car is totally standard (no cheap plastic sunroof etc) to me it would probably be worth c£5k as a dry sump model or c£3-4k as a wet sump. Looking at the classifieds once they are on the road and MOT'd they'd be worth anywhere between £5k to £10k which will depend on the condition.

As Neil's is a late G model - the desirable HC Turbo, I think it would be worth quite a bit more than £10K once on the road.

It might be worth putting an advert in Club Lotus Magazine as you may be suprised by the response - not everybody with a Lotus is on the net ;)

I can also tell you that when I owned an S3 N/A I bought it owned and maintained it for 6 years and sold it for what I paid for it. The next owner sold it for 3k more than he bought it for....

Neil, I would put a bit more effort into laying up the car, and dry store it with a view to bringing it back out in a few years. waxoil or spray a light oil on anything you can find, under a tarp is fie, but with ventilation so air flows over and through the car, keep the mice out, and smother the leather in hide food (leave the windows ajar)

Thanks for the great information Barrie and Paul.

Much appreciated

I knew the HC turbos commanded a premium over standard turbos.

I also assumed some people would steer away from the dry sump turbos as I have read about reliability issues due to incorrect oil filling. I have heard some parts are like hens teeth (oil scavenger pump?)

Obviously these have a fan base also and command a higher price due to the rarity of the dry sump cars.

I will look into putting an ad in the club Lotus mag.

Sorry for going off topic. Best of luck Neil whatever you decide to do

KW

I think if you have considered selling and not used the car for 7 or 8 years then the writing is on the wall and it's time to go. This car is very similar.

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-hc-turbo-1987/666393

Assumng this car doesn't need the manifold then I think it puts your car circa £7500.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

quote:It needs a full C service and obviously the brakes, wastegate and all fuel/cooling hoses need re-newing

:censored: cks

if it int broke dont fix it and drive it :smoke:

Edited by mc21.8

Neil,

Over the years, the thought of selling my S1 has become a recurring dream / nightmare. No matter the short term pain, I'll never have the opportunity to own a car of its stature again. Ever! Don't sell it unless you are in dire financial straights. You'll regret it. My S1, although not running at the moment, brings joy to me just looking at it neatly tucked away in my garage. Thirty five years of ownership and still going.

Lyn

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Sell it, the reality is these are never going to go stratospheric like Italian or German and if you change your mind then buy one later. If you don't do the work now the parts will get more costly as time goes by and less available so makes less sense to hang on. You don't appear to want to drive it but don't like the thought of letting it go. Or surely this would be a renovation thread.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.