Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Holiday ideas - somewhere special - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Holiday ideas - somewhere special

alan

Hi All,

My better half has a special birthday next year (May) and we are looking for somewhere special to go as a family (kids aged 11 & 13).

Looking for somewhere warm, beachy, bit exotic and with good snorkeling.

Thinking Caribbean, polynesia, tahiti or perhaps galapagos but would love ideas.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Few years ago now Alan, but the nicest, most relaxing holiday we had was in The Grenadines.

Had a week in Barbados, followed by a week in St.Lucia then flew on to St.Vincents (Capitol of the Grenadines) for our final week.

Series of Islands, with nothing but white sand beaches, and turquoise seas. Lovely relaxed atmosphere with superb accommodation and food and drink to die for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadines

Just my 2p but whatever you do/go - enjoy! :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Lol. Only ever passed through there one time only. The one thing that sticks in my mind is the Worlds 'Most Ugly' Block of flats overlooking the seafront. Really had to do a 'double take' they we're that bad.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions - I will show my wife the photos and let her choose....

post-42-0-84874100-1350125147.jpg

post-42-0-53757700-1350125164.jpg

Ian - how did St Vincent compare to St Lucia (we went to St Lucia many years ago for our honeymoon & were thinking of going again, but then again so many places in the world it seems to make sense to try somewhere new).

• Gold FFM

St. Vincent was a little quieter than St. Lucia. We did more day trips and site seeing around St. Lucia but treated St.Vincent as more of a relax, do nothing, lie on a beach week, apart from a day on a catamaran exploring other Islands. Scuba diving in Barbados, but just snorkelling for me in St. Vincents but still remember snorkelling with some extremely large turtles around us and the odd ray.

This holiday was our Honeymoon as well. Not sure how much it would have changed now or if your teenagers would find St.Vincent too quiet. I would guess it attracts more tourists now as a lot of the film locations for Pirates of the Caribbean were filmed there.

Like you say, many places to visit in this world.

:)

Here, where I am, Sihanoukville Cambodia,look it up on the web, having a ball,probably going island hopping tomorrow.

I'm excitered !

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I can STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend the Maldives. Went there earlier this year with my better half and we have a grand time.

Here's a link to the place we visited:

http://www.kuredu.com/

Because everything is on a small island you don't have to stress about "where to go today" and there are an insane amount of activities readily available for the whole family - everything from watersports and scuba-diving/snorkelling to yacht and island hopping trips. My girlfriend and I took our diving certificates there - and if you haven't already qualified for open water diving, the "enclosed dives" are out in the lagoon - so no boring sessions in swimming pools either. Needless to say, the marine life you'll see out there is what most folks only see on TV....

The other Atolls are also nice - we're planning on heading back to ones where Whale Sharks can be seen frequently.

Looking it up on the map is fun in and of itself - I mean, it's smack bang in the middle of nowhere in the Indian Ocean. Sadly the entire nation is also slowly disappearing beneath the waves (highest level above sea level is a mere 2 meters!) so it's a good idea to see it now before its lost forever....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

You should give Cuba a look - you will find it a surprising and interesting place , have been there 3 times now, good value, easy going, friendly and very safe with no "no-go" areas, gangs or street kids and thousands of old and classic cars (which particularly appeals to me) !

- I see it won the 2012 award for "World`s friendliest country" from the Spanish.

• Gold FFM

Sozzled!? Sir, I resemble that remark.

As it happens, just got back from our 8th trip to Antigua, and our 3rd to the Blue Waters resort. We are fortunate that we could travel anywhere on the planet, but we continually fail to fInd an excuse to omit Antigua each year. The Blue Waters resort has the most incredible staff I've ever met. Check them out on Tripadvisor.

Of course, they also make English Harbour rum...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I can STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend the Maldives. Went there earlier this year with my better half and we have a grand time.

Here's a link to the place we visited:

http://www.kuredu.com/

Because everything is on a small island you don't have to stress about "where to go today" and there are an insane amount of activities readily available for the whole family - everything from watersports and scuba-diving/snorkelling to yacht and island hopping trips. My girlfriend and I took our diving certificates there - and if you haven't already qualified for open water diving, the "enclosed dives" are out in the lagoon - so no boring sessions in swimming pools either. Needless to say, the marine life you'll see out there is what most folks only see on TV....

The other Atolls are also nice - we're planning on heading back to ones where Whale Sharks can be seen frequently.

Looking it up on the map is fun in and of itself - I mean, it's smack bang in the middle of nowhere in the Indian Ocean. Sadly the entire nation is also slowly disappearing beneath the waves (highest level above sea level is a mere 2 meters!) so it's a good idea to see it now before its lost forever....

wow that looks really nice, what room did you stay in? and what room would you surgest to stay in?

Here for a good time, not a long time

Oh I gotta ask my girlfriend and see if she remembers - it was in one of the beach bungalows on the same side of the island as the water villas. We got a really nice one. I'll post it if I remember the number!

One of the cooler things we were treated to, as we were there during high-season, was a free yacht trip and upgrade of accomodation because the bungalows were in hot demand and they had to make room for more guests!

When this happens you get to choose from a lot of activities to tempt you out of your current accomodation, such as: few days out on a tradition wooden yacht (absolutely wonderful experience!), a few days on a dive boat with 4 tanks a day worth of diving(!!!) - both with consequent upgrades to a water bungalow or a full gold pass from a standard gold.

As for the food, it was insane - buffet 3 times a day and the best tuna steaks I have ever eaten in my life (and I am NOT a fish person!!!!). Just thinking about it all makes me want to go back, but it's a real strain on the wallet....:)

To sum it up, if nothing else, it's a good "once in a lifetime" trip that'll hopefully leave you with memories you'll treasure forever.

cool, sounds like you got a good deal.

Were heading over to see friend in Dubai in April for a week and I was thinking about spanding our second week here.

Thanks for the info I will let you know if we go.

Cheers

Here for a good time, not a long time

St Lucia is gorgeous and more upmarket than most of the carribean islands. My friends house that he rents out:

http://www.chezdenis.co.uk/st-lucia-rodney-bay/

I also think the Maldives but kids WILL get bored.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

St Lucia is gorgeous and more upmarket than most of the carribean islands. My friends house that he rents out:

http://www.chezdenis...cia-rodney-bay/

I also think the Maldives but kids WILL get bored.

Depends how old they are and what they're into I suppose! If they're okay to Scuba dive, it'll be a real blast - and there's always the island hopping trips/watersports. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions - we are probably going to go for Caribbean rather than Maldives. Possibly St Lucia first as you can fly direct from the UK then on to St Vincent (or one of the other islands).

Kenya suggestion - not going to Africa this time. My brother in law manages a safari camp in Botswana so we have been to Botswana, Zimbabwe & SA recently.

Cuba - I am really keen, especially whilst Castro is still in charge (not that I want to meet him, but feel it will loose its appeal a bit if it becomes more of a tourist trap). Unfortunately its not my choice so thats out.

Alan, if you like the look of my mates places tell him I told you to call him. Hopefully he'll sort you a discount!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

How about cruising the Caribbean in the.

Royal Clipper

did it a few years ago & doing it again in February.

PS. Glad to hear your recovering & good luck for the future :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John W

Another vote for St. Vincent & the Grenadines. We had a lovely trip there straight after spending time in St Lucia. We found St. Lucia too touristy. St. Vincent is the opposite. We stayed in a delightful hotel (Grenadine House) which had been the old British residence. They organized hiking in rainforests with a guide, we went on a trip to Bequia (if you want a really quiet beach holiday this would be worth going), we took a local bus to the black sand beaches on the west where the locals hadn't seen another tourist for 3 months, took a private boat out snorkelling. It really felt like seeing some authentic Caribbean rather than a tourist trap.

At dinner one evening the prime minister was in the hotel restaurant meeting representatives from the EU.

Edited by chandrew