Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TDI Charity Evora Dyno Day - 30th March - Page 4 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TDI Charity Evora Dyno Day - 30th March

Bibs

Kier,

TDI use a hub dyno for more accuracy as the tyres play large part in the absorption of energy so unless you measure the rate at which the tyres heat up and temperature they reach you won't know how much energy they are absorbing.

Khyber,

I think you can take your pick as it depends on oil, gearbox condition, driveshafts, wheel bearings etc but I would calculate at 12%.

Allan,

I did ask about their CAI and they can supply their own filter to fit on the Radium which would give improvement over the small K&N unit. They have measured vacuum in the tube and this tells them the standard Radium setup is restrictive and appears to disrupt airflow meaning as the sensor only samples 5% of the air it can't know what the other 95% is doing. It tells the ECU to provide fuel at what is at some points a false reading and a real danger of going lean. I believe they payed around with tuning the intake length/shape and made improvements (using an S I think) and got to the point where the ECU ran out of ability to fuel sufficiently. The ECU is very well locked and it cannot be broken by them as it is seen as breach of copyright so the answer is either a piggy back unit or bespoke ECU with the same pinouts. There aren't enough cars out there to make it financially viable currently so no plans to go down either of these roads and producing an intake that is beyond the capability of the factory ECU make no sense either. At the moment They simply offer the filter and that's where the main benefits lay. My take on it is that they won't be producing anything in the near future but may look at it when the majority of current cars are out of warranty.

Mine was the best car there on the day because I was the only one to turn up.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice to meet with the guys at TDI today and a very informative chat. Glad to say mine was the most powerful Evora on the dyno today :harhar: .

My setup is Lotus sports exhaust with third cat removal and K&N filter panel in the standard air box.

259.9bhp @ 6130rpm

248ftlb Torque @ 4440rpm

All readings at the hub.

Tried to link the graphs from photo bucket but the forum isn't letting me.

Trevor.

Same setup as mine.

I'd be disappointed with the loss in power over the quoted 280bhp. Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for the details there Trevor.  Is their larger filter a K&N type and will it fit straight on?  I think I will be going down this route but will phone them in the week.  I think it is possible to unlock this ecu - someone had already had a couple of remaps?

Same setup as mine.

I'd be disappointed with the loss in power over the quoted 280bhp. Or am I reading it wrong?

- At 260 at the hubs with 12% loss factored in,  = 291 at the fly, so pretty good really.

Whitey,

I didn't see the filter they are offering but going by mdavies description of replacing the filter element part every 10k miles I imagine it's like a Pipercross/ITG type. Yes I believe Koldfire have broken the ECU and this will set you back £1k and we are not out of warranty yet and TDI have no plans in the area at present. They were surprised it was possible/viable.

Woza,

As Whitey says, if you add back the 12% losses you are around 290bhp so happy enough. I thought the standard car was 276hp?

Trevor.

Trevor, glad someone made it! And your extra info re their CAI is a great help, thank you.

We now have a lot of crossover between this thread and the TDI CAI PLUS one. I have described the TDI filter intake a little more there. If no one else has done I'm going to post a pointer on that across to here. Any new readers, perhaps from other forums, take a look at both.

Kier,

TDI use a hub dyno for more accuracy as the tyres play large part in the absorption of energy so unless you measure the rate at which the tyres heat up and temperature they reach you won't know how much energy they are absorbing.

Ah that makes sense, thanks for the info. 

TDI have very kindly offered to re-arrange this, despite the weekend being a wash-out on the whole with only Trevor turning up.

Any dates in mind? Perhaps August when the sun is shining?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Real shame the weather closed in on Friday afternoon. Would be great to do this soon. With 3 or 4 weeks notice I can make myself available most Saturdays. Why not plump for a date in March?

Another day would be useful Bibs as I'm not sure how many hub dyno's are in the country and having been enlightened about the benefits/accuracy I think this is the way to go. They also give a printout of the air/fuel ratio (mine goes rich over 4krpm which is holding back a few HP). The power figures are automatically adjusted taking into account the favourable conditions or otherwise, on the day, ie if it's cold you're probably producing more power than a hot day. All kinds of clever black magic stuff. I don't think I mentioned how professional and knowledgeable these guys are and I think is part of the reason they aren't going head long into producing something just for a profit but would want whatever they do to be the best it can be and make a return. Some see this as not enthusiastic but I see a professional approach to business and don't want a cheaper second rate product. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I've done that a few times too :-)

Trevor.

I don't think I mentioned how professional and knowledgeable these guys are.

Trevor, quite so! Probably for the third time I'll suggest people read the three downloadable PDFs from the TDI web site (under the Dyno section) if they don't already appreciate that the usually casually measured figures on the typical rolling road can be no more than rough approximations.

Bibs, most dates after March 16th (when the Six Nations finish) would be fine for me.

PS: And remember that I did indeed locate "a dyno in a wind tunnel"? Yes, TDI of course - simulated motion up to 160 mph. So the Radium CAI can be properly tested too!

Edited by mdavies

• Gold FFM

I'm still keen to attend a rearranged session.  Currently fairly clear for Saturdays Feb/Mar/Apr provided I have enough notice to make alternative arrangements to get my daughter to her horsey stuff.

I have been lurking on this thread for a while and couldn't make the original date but I should be OK for this one. I had mine Dyno'd at Surrey Rolling Road before and after having the Radium fitted. Below are the charts with both runs on each chart. The second chart has the AFRs.

post-879-0-21361500-1359389542.jpg

post-879-0-59584700-1359389676.jpg

1. Mel Davies, Evora NA + Radium and Sport exhaust.

2. Chris Weeden, Evora NA + Radium otherwise standard

I'd like to come but it's easter week and with kids depending on the weather etc etc, so I won't book a slot but will come along if I can to say hello.

• Gold FFM

1. Mel Davies, Evora NA + Radium and Sport exhaust.

2. Chris Weeden, Evora NA + Radium otherwise standard

3. M1LUM, NA with Chavvy exhaust, std intake

4. TomE, Evora S MY11 with decat

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Folks, are we still going ahead with this on 30th or looking at doing a different date that might be more popular given that it's the Easter weekend?