Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Squeak from front left wheel - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Squeak from front left wheel

I thought my spedo or spedo cable was having issues. I would hear a squeak every once in awhile at low speed. It seems to be related to wheel rotation/speed and is not affected by braking/turning. Today it was nice enough for the windows to be down and I discovered that it was coming from the drivers front wheel. I know it is difficult to describe a sound so I will get a video/audio of it. Could it be any of the bushings (sway bars etc)? I am guessing it is not recommended to grease or oil them if that is where the sound is coming from?

John
94 S4

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Do you get it in reverse as well?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I can't imagine a bush problem to be speed related, unless it is reacting to wheel imbalance? Is it on every rotation once it starts happening?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yep, it seems to be timed to wheel rotation but it only happens at low speeds (like below 25mph) and doesn't do it all the time. I think I will go ahead and jack it up and spin the wheel to see what I can see. I doubt it will do it without the weight of the car in the wheel though. I will try to get some vid/audio of it today.

John
94 S4

Ok, I took off the wheel and didn't find anything obvious. I did remove and clean the ABS wheel sensor as it look awfully close to the teeth on the hub (not sure how close it should be) but it didn't seem to have any wear marks on the magnet tip. I couldn't hear anything spinning the hub my hand. First drive after that and I didn't hear the noise. Today it is back. I stopped at a light and backed up and it made the same sound in reverse. Here is a quick video with the sound.

Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxsF6-wVD1Y&feature=youtu.be

John
94 S4

Hi, sounds like pads / discs to me. does it do it when you're braking ? If not I would suggested cleaning the edge on the disc to make sure there is no ridge that is catching, also are your pads / discs ok ?

Phil.

I should have specified that braking makes no difference in the sound. Even hard braking that makes the nose dip the sound stays the same. Rotors and pads are all fine.

John
94 S4

• Gold FFM

3 piece rims?

• Gold FFM

Check the torque on all the rim bolts. I'll bet my money on something is moving between the pieces.

How bad was the bend?

• Gold FFM

Not sure how faithfully the video reproduces the sound, but I'd first be looking at the backplate. Sounds more like resonance than anything direct.  I've also heard bearing seals sound a little like that.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I thought it was the backplate as well but it isn't close to touching anything. I will check all wheel bolts and see if any are loose. Not sure how bad the bend was. I didn't see it and just had them sent off for repair. They were bad enough (one at least) to not hold air. But the tire was bad too so it may have been losing air from the tire and not the tire to rim seal.

Well, one bolt was sheared off and glued back in. :censored: . I know the PO had to fix the rims "a couple of times" so I don't know which repair that happened with, not that it matters at this point. I hope I can extract the broken piece myself. I guess I will try contactin Ronal about a replacement bolt. I bought them from teh US distributor that isn't in business anymore and didn't have much luck last time I tried contacting their UK distributor.

Anyway, I have the bolt head out and will take it for a spin to see if that is what was causing the sound or if it is where the 2 pieces meet.

Thanks for the advice guys.

John
94 S4

• Gold FFM

Swap the wheels left/right; that should be a good test!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Good idea sparky. That'll narrow it down real quick if it's the rim.

When i had a similar noise on my S4s the OZ centre badge was the cause,i removed badge and used a little RTV to seal it and never had the noise again.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Ok, so it is the ABS "Pole Wheel" that is loose. I am looking for how it is fastened but cant find anything. I am tryingf to avoid pulling the hub if I dont have to. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

John
94 S4

• Gold FFM

Well found John. :thumbup:

I have an occasional ABS light (had is all the time until I replaced the accumulator) but the errors have never been related to the wheel sensors.

BTW, I was able to press the pole wheel back on with a pry bar and not have to remove the hub. It felt like it "snapped" back into place but time will tell. Thanks God that annoying (and embarrassing) noise is gone.

Oh, and had a great time at Cars and Coffee Charlotte yesterday morning. About 5 Loti were there, mine the only Esprit. Some really cools cars (Aventador, a dozen other Lambos, Ferrari's, even a GTM)

John
94 S4

Ok, the ring didn't stay put so I pressed it back one more time and will have to removed the hub to fix it if it happens again.

Anyone have any tips on what I need to removed to get to it and how to press it back on so it stays? I assume I will be taking the hub off the axle? If so, should I plan on replacing the bearings or just repacking them afterwards?

Basically I need to follow the procedure here I am guessing..

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/Front_brakes.html

Thanks

Edited by Techspy

John
94 S4

Something is wrong if it won't stay on, it is supposed to be a tight press fit. Normally you have to heat the ring in an oven to allow it to drop onto the hub, when it cools it is on solid.

Since you're going to have to pull the hub it would be a good idea to replace the bearings and seal, they're not that expensive.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages