Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 12 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Loose Cannon

It certain was the Rebellion....never new it was so populated by Esprit owners.

Tim, I think the difference was the members nights gets about 800 pissed middle aged men talking bollocks and in need of a distraction.

On 22/08/2019 at 19:14, semi42 said:

Another topic in another thread prompted this memory from about about  12 years ago when I hadn't long had my S2

I had learned that the light switches were also used on TR7s and flicking through the local green or yellow free Ads paper, noticed someone local was breaking  TR7s.

Phoned him up one evening and mentioned I was interested in the switches

"which ones"?

"well any really, I know they can be dismantled and the bits inside cleaned and swapped about but its the headlamp switch i`m after mainly , but anything will do"

"Hmm, im sure I`ll have something, I got a couple of the centre consoles with a few of the switches mounted in it"

"sounds good, How much do you want for one of the console panels"?

"Err...What Mk TR7 do you have"?

"well heres the thing , its not for a TR7,  Ive not long bought a Lotus Esprit and they use the same Lucas switchgear so I`m needing a headlamp switch for it and any other switches will come in handy for spares"

"F*ck off and don't ring me back"

speechless

, still to this day I don't understand why the reaction

i think his reaction was a bit strong, but understand completely. He wants to help other TR7 owners because he is a TR7 owner. 

How would you feel about giving your door handles (etc etc etc) away to someone wanting to restore a Marina? Same deal!

I also give stuff away on Freecycle, but often get enquiries from the same people over and over. I know they are going to sell it if i give it to them, and they can Fxck right off-I'd rather set fire to it---which is odd really: I made the decision to give it away, but I don't want to give it away to just ANYONE, it has to be someone I "deem worthy".

On another point, when I give away a DVD player I don't expect to give it away to someone driving a 2017 Range Rover.

FFS, I'm trying to help people who can't afford a DVD player (which are now, what, £15?)

Only had one bad experience which was 15 years ago in Norfolk of all places.

However the Esprit seems really popular in central London. Might be because there are loads of Porsche’s, Ferrari’s, maclaren’s, Maserati’s, and bentleys but very rarely a lotus, especially an Esprit. 

Its my only car and I probably only use it 6 times a year but every time it makes an appearance I get someone approaching me to say nice car!

Loads of pedestrians wave or give thumbs up mouthing nice car. had one guy making such a big deal about it that he almost plowed into a lamppost (took a lot of effort not to laugh).

had a taxi driver flag me down to say he once owned an S4, regrets not keeping it and telling me that my car was gorgeous (even had a fare in the back).

merc c63 overtook me simply to give a thumbs up and nice car mate before desperately trying to get back over to take the slip road.

Immaculate black alfa brera seemed desperate to get through traffic until pulling alongside where driver just wanted to say nice car.

came out of a petrol station to find a family around the car. When I walked up they asked if it would be ok to take a photo of them with it.

Always get let out or in when I get the lane wrong, not sure if that’s because they like the car or think that I can’t see them out of the rear window lol.

even my wife likes the way it looks!! granted I’ve had to spend ages sorting climate control because she was either too hot (sunroofs and windows not allowed as mess hair up) or it was drafty on longer journeys. And of course see won’t actually drive it, but she does like it (or maybe just very good at humouring me)??

Only downside of London loving the car is I have to make sure that it is always looking it’s best before I go anywhere (first world problems).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chris said:

(sunroofs and windows not allowed as mess hair up)

Really? I find the Esprit cabin air surprisingly still when driving with my windows down.

17 hours ago, chris said:

Only downside of London loving the car is I have to make sure that it is always looking it’s best before I go anywhere (first world problems).

:D

Edited by Giniw