Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours? - Page 5 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

People's reaction to the Esprit - what's yours?

Loose Cannon

A few weeks ago I actually got a comment from one of the above: "Why would anyone buy something like that instead of a Porsche?". I didn't even bother to explain. 

If it was someone who wasn't really interested, I think I'd ask if she liked vanilla ice cream...and agree that I did too, but that the Esprit is home made rum & raisin. A perfect analogy for a Lotus lol 

It's struck me that women in general don't like Esprits. They like curvy things like e-types, Porsche 356's and boat tail Alfas. I know its a generalisation but while the ladies in my proximity appreciate it when I quantify everything it represents, they don't like the look of it. In one instance a Sicilian (so not prone to sugar coating it), sat up on her bar stool and exclaimed "Are you crazy, it's so ugly!"

All the more power to weight for me my dear  :P

Women seem to prefer more masculine cars such as Bentleys. The general conclusion on the Ferrari forums is that more feminine cars such as Ferraris and the Esprit are generally referred-to as "that old thing" in the same disdainful manner they might refer to a mistress.

The vast majority of women are not remotely interested in cars, beyond that they're comfortable, easy to get in and out of, don't mess up their hair, and someone else pays for it.

I know this because my wife says that's the case.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

The vast majority of women are not remotely interested in cars, beyond that they're comfortable, easy to get in and out of, don't mess up their hair, and someone else pays for it.

I know this because my wife says that's the case.

I really don't know what is better, a woman that's not interested in cars or one who is and gets you crazy enough to buy her one... :sofa: 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Sometimes they do appear. My better half pushed me to buy the V8 against my better judgement....

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Today, three young beautifull ladies passed by my Esprit, and they stopped, looked, and one of them said: "Wow, that's a really mean looking and beautifull sportscar. Much nicer than a Ferrari". The other two agreed, and they went on walking by.

I just smiled.

Some time ago, a boy apprx. 8 years passed by, looked at the Esprit, and asked me: "Wow, can it also shoot the gangster out throught the roof?"

"No, but it can shoot a rocket in to a helicopter, while being submerged in the ocean", I replied.

Then followed a loud "clang", when he dropped his teeth on the pavement.

Also, a while ago, two boys maybe 10-11 years old passed by, and discussed the Esprit. The first one said: "look, it's got two exhausts!"

The other answered: " yeah, but my fathers audi have two exhausts too".

By then I felt obliged to start the car, and give it a dab on the throttle. As I have a nice loud exhaust, and they stood 1 meter behind the Esprit, I could see their hair being blow backwards.

All they said after was: "OOOoohhhhhh!!!"

And that is pretty hard to say when their smile went from ear to ear ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I get most of the time positive reactions.

Just came home from a trip, where I got taken over by a biker, who then drove before me for a while with thumb up.

Same trip I got a jogger who did the tumbs up .

So one trip and two times tumbs up... How many cars give you that.  A porsche wont.

I am amazed how many children react surprised with a big smile and a pointing finger , when the lights pop up. I got that when I just left the topsporthall where I picked up my son.

Geert

Edited by gvy

• 1 year later...

I was helping out at the bar for the open house days at an animal shelter this weekend (serving, not just drinking :-) ). A woman came up to me and asked me if the Lotus parked in front was mine. Apparently she was into 80s sportscars, she correctly identified my SE as a late 80s Esprit and had asked around about the owner. :-) We had a nice chat, even though I was quite busy. a very pleasant surprise.

Filip 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

20 hours ago, GTK said:

When's the wedding? :)

She really wasn't my type. ;-)

Unfortunately, the one who definitely is my type, is not interested in cars at all and was actually disappointed last time because I took the Esprit to pick her up...

Back in October 2000 I had got the duty at the General Aviation Terminal at Heathrow. This was something that us Immigration types at T4 covered....and there was a reserved car parking space next to the G.A.T....so a great excuse to take the Esprit to work. During the usual boring shift, nothing much happens at the G.A.T., Britney Spears and her entourage pitched up from the USA. A nice girl...well, she was,  then....and I did my bit with the passports and she walked out of the terminal.

There was the Esprit.

"Gee, what a cool car!!" she said..... so, being the gentleman I am, I let her sit in it. Now....why didn't I have a camera with me????!!!

More recently I've had "thumbs up" from several drivers on the Paris périphériqe and appreciative comments from people by Kew Gardens station. The aesthetics still seem to appeal.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Unlike many others, I've never experienced such problems with my other half, far from it. In fact when it comes to cars, I always end up being the voice of reason, otherwise we'd be living in a tent with a 1967 Shelby GT500 Mustang parked on one side, and a 1968 Dodge 426 Hemi Charger on the other.

I have to be equally assertive when gin & tonic or pinot grigio is the topic of conversation.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Sounds like you found a Ruf in the diamond Ian!

I am equally blessed as my good lady takes no interest in my car or drinking habits! Hic...

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Driving through shall we say a slightly less salubrious area of Swindon this afternoon with the windows down, a young lad and two delightful young ladies walked past and one of them shouted "pimp!" at me. As I was in the middle of the rather red tinted lantern part of town I took that as a compliment... :smoke:

• Like 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)