Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Length of Engine Crane? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Length of Engine Crane?

Hi Guys

The time has come again to buy some more garage bits...

Im looking at getting myself an engine crane. Does anyone have any experience in choosing one of these.

I want to get one with a long enough jib so that i can remove the engine from my esprits, both Stevens and Guiguaro. 

i have seen a few on ebay and on the machine mart website. so claim to be "Long Reach".

Does anyone know how long the jib needs to be to be comfortably safe from the rear bumper?

Hope someone can help.

Cos

Edited by Cos

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, look at the front wheels on Buddsy's crane - they are flat, in line with the legs.

The ones that have wheels under the legs will not go under the chassis easily so wont reach.

The alternative it to approach from one side with a rear wheel removed but I didn't try that.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

We have Harbor Freight engine hoists here.  The 1 ton is too short, I tried it, won't reach far enough over engine for proper balance.  And their 2 ton hoist will reach far enough.

The specs are

1 Ton

• Boom extends from 36-1/4 in. to 50-1/4 in.
  • Crane height adjusts from 82 in. to 94 in.

2 Ton

• Boom extends from 41" to 61-3/4"
  • Crane height adjusts from 73-5/8" to 89"

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

We used a forklift to take out the engine and gearbox of my SE, but I had to extend the forks to have enough reach. I think the forks are 50". We did use 2 points, one in front on the engine mounts and one further to the back, at the gearbox mounts. Both straps were attached by means of a ratchet, so we could vary the lifting heights independently. That, and the ability to lift vertically or tilt the boom when needed made for a very easy removal.

So when using an engine crane, I would make sure there is plenty of reach and add a second eye to allow lifting at the back.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys

Lots of very important information there. I quite like the look of the Machine Mart crane. Ill be over in London over the weekend, so ill pop in and have a look at one.

Im sure others will find this info very important too.

BTW Buddsy, thats one very clean looking engine.