My babies... - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My babies...

LotusLeftLotusRight

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum, but what do we call you and where are you from? It doesn't say in your profile.

If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask a mod :)

Oh and great choice in cars! I loved the Carlton (my brother and I crashed 1 each on the same weekend) and the Evora is very special to me and my old man.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Ok, you changed that :) Welcome Michael from Northants :welcome:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Nice!

Welcome. Where did you get the air chamber from? Would like to know more about that when you have a minute.

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Michael. :welcome:

Nice duo there. :thumbsup:

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Welcome and what a great pair of cars.  One of the few Geneva colour scheme Evoras I've seen - I nearly ordered an LE in that spec after seeing the Geneva show car being prepared at the factory and have only seen two others.

Surely the tyres on the Omega are a complete liability after 20+ years, regardless of the mileage?

Guessing its home is one of these: http://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/Airchambers/ - friend uses a similar one from http://www.carcoon.com/

Thanks for the kind feedback. The "Airchamber" is actually the rival "Cair-O-Port", but I couldn't bring myself to write that awful name!

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/CairOPort.html

Both products are fairly similar, but I plumped for this one because it has slightly tapered ends to facilitate the sweep of the garage door, whereas the Airchamber has vertical poles. You can just about make that out in my photo. The whole caboodle takes up the full length of the garage and the car only just fits in lengthways. Width is ample and balloons out further when sealed. I couldn't get a longer chamber (which would have been better) because it wouldn't fit in the garage.

I've had the chamber for a year now and it's been excellent. In previous winters, there had been the odd occasion when the car would get covered in condensation. The ventilated chamber has put a stop to that and also keeps the dust off. Mine has 3 fans, but 2 are sufficient and I have disconnected the middle one, since it was just blowing air at the number plate. I run the battery conditioner through to the engine bay to ensure first time starting every time. Frankly I reckon the car would last forever in there.

The only slight niggle is the 2 fastening straps and hooks on the bottom cross pole: they are placed exactly where the tyres cross the pole and the big Goodyear Eagle F1 rears soon ripped them to pieces! But it still functions fine without them.

As for those old tyres, I know I should change them, but they are still in fine fettle (if a little harder than new), with plenty of tread and solid side walls. They've spent 99.5% of their lives in a dry garage away from UV damage and they never leak any air out. Unfortunately you can't buy them anymore so I will have to go with a new set of Falkens of a similar design when the time comes to take it on an Autobahn.

Welcome to The Lotus forum

Great cars!! Love the Omega (Carlton)

I too have a Lotus Carlton and don't live to many miles from you. I have seen your car in St.Neots about a year ago and had to stop to take a look.

Its unusual to see a low millage car and with a 1997 registration.

My brother also has an unusual Lotus Carlton RHD which was registered in 1996 on a "P" plate.

They really are great cars.

Great colour Evora. I remember driving one exactly the same as yours on the Top Gear Live Show on the Cool Wall about 4 years ago. I was very impressed with it.

Any chance of some more photos of the Carlton??

Ray

• Gold FFM

Love the pics. My babies went into hibernation today as I will be away back to work until the middle of December so now nicely wrapped up in the garage complete with soft covers, well you got to respect them don't you.

Any chance of some more photos of the Carlton??

Ray

Well done for spotting the car in St Neots: I assume it was parked up just by the entrance to that housing estate? We were probably having a family picnic by the river. Whereabouts do you live?

Although built and delivered new to an Opel dealer in Germany in 1991, it was never registered anywhere until October 1997. Shortly after that it was purchased by a UK enthusiast, driven back to England and registered on an "R" plate. He kept it until 2009 when he sold it to the Trade. I subsequently bought it in early 2010. It was featured in a Group Test in Classic Cars magazine December 2011.

Here are some more photos.

26032010073.jpg

26032010075.jpg

20052010117.jpg

20052010118.jpg

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight

That is pristine! I am so jealous! I really loved that car, but couldn't afford it so got a (much) cheaper Sierra Saphire Cossy instead.

Thanks Michael for the pics.

Yes that was exactly where I saw it. I do live in St.Neots. Where in Northants are you?

What a car!!!!!! Great!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

A couple of lovely cars there.  Welcome to the plate club - I had mine on retention for 3 years before I got the car!

IMG_1954_LR.jpg

• 3 months later...