Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Back in the family, looking for info - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Back in the family, looking for info

Daniel

Doubtless, no one will remember me, I had a couple of Esprit's and was a regular poster on here a few years ago....... my latter contributions relating to the engine in my Sport 350 expiring catastrophically at the Nurburgring in 2008.

Well. I'm about to purchase this little beauty, and wondered if it was a 'known' car, and if there's any info available on it?

http://www.uksportscars.com/view/lotus-esprit-s2-1979-superb-example-in-very-original-form-inside-and-out/

Thanks in advance, and very much looking forward to being a regular contributor once again.

Hi Daniel,

Of course I remember you! More importantly do you remember me? :P

I'm sure that's a known car, I've seen it on here before I think. Just on my way out so I'll leave someone else to fill in the blanks.#

Welcome back buddy. If you need anything you know to ask a mod :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

I even remember you as far as your avatar goes Daniel. Welcome back. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

thanks chaps, always nice to feel welcome.

Kimbers, great to see you still meandering these halls, Bibs, he's been more than accommodating, I'm no haggler but I've wangled a shilling or two back my way.

Hoping to collect next week, I'll keep you posted!!

Welcome back, Daniel, and nice choice of cars!  :)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Great looking S2. Really like the interior. Not seen the bracket over the spark plugs before, any ideas on it's purpose?. Be mindful of that foam filter, I've heard they can get saturated with fuel from the carbs spitting back and have started a fire or two. Just a friendly heads up.

Great looking S2. Really like the interior. Not seen the bracket over the spark plugs before, any ideas on it's purpose?. Be mindful of that foam filter, I've heard they can get saturated with fuel from the carbs spitting back and have started a fire or two. Just a friendly heads up.

The bracket over the spark plugs is to suppress interference on the radio. I have one on the Essex.

Great looking car. On the basis of recent threads it should prove a good investment too.

I'm convinced it'll turn out to be a good long term investment and certainly better than money in the bank..... what better than having a none depreciating asset which makes you smile every time you open the garage!!

I've paid strong money, but that's always a good policy with cars like this, and the dealer is reputable too.

Absolute beauty Daniel!!!! Well done!!

Totally agree with the other comments regards the Esprit being a worthwhile investment. Looks like the Esprit has finally started to command big money prices compared to where they were when I bought my old one 5 years ago. That car (D10LOT) is now no longer for sale I see at uksportscars even though I thought it was priced quite high when I first saw the ad. I also see the Limited Edition two tone red one that sold at auction for around £16k and was then advertised on uksportscars for £35k!!!!!!! is also now sold.

Looks like this is a good time to own an Esprit! I just hope I can finally agree a deal with the one I've been chasing after since June - getting very close now and hope to have it in the Spring. Never had to be so patient buying a car but I'm sure the wait will be worthwhile!!!

Edited by stephenwhyte

I think the money was spot on currently and without doubt the cheaper way to go, my S2 would stand me in more money than that to achieve the condition level of your car. I did have thoughts about buying this one myself but decided against it purely due to the sunroof which is entirely a personal issue as I know many owners like them.

The interior is stunning and the scheme I would love on my car.

Safe investment and do agree with Gavin about the air filter but this is a cheap fix as SJ can provide an original re manufactured one.

Dave :)

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Yes the air filter will be returned to standard.... thanks for the heads up re SJ providing re manufactured ones. This place is awesome.

Should be collecting early next week. Hoping for a dry day!!

Hi Daniel,

welcome back.  I haven't seen that S2 before but it looks a lovely example.  It would be interesting to know if the chassis has been galvanised at some point in it's life.  If it hasn't, tt's worth checking it's condition.

Also try LotusBits for the airbox. I got one from them a few years back. Good condition and only need a quick repaint. It even had the original sound insulation material still affixed. All for 20.00 GBP, you can't beat that!

Thanks for the info on that bracket Barrie.

Sorry Bibs, if that was a serious offer I'd have loved to have bobbed in for a brew, but I missed your post!!

Aaaaaanyway, yesterday was the big day, stayed with friends on Monday in Cambridge, couldn't sleep as I was so excited, so ended up leaving really early and getting there waaaaay too early..... but I didn't mind.

Nice chat with Paul and his nephew from UK Sportscars, and away I went for the 300 mile return journey to Burnley!!

Naturally, I had to have frequent brew and toilet stops....... I mean.... you would, wouldn't you:

espritservices_zps2c46d1ff.jpg

Made lots of new friends with people coming over and chatting.

The car was absolutely faultless and drove like a dream, it sounds fantastic!! it's now sat in my garage, I'm in my office above and keep bobbing down for a look-see!!.... 

The only downer was leaving a filler cap at a services somewhere on either the M1 or M6..... I've no idea which, but I'll make some calls later.

Anyway, the car.... looks to be in excellent yet 'honest' condition, which now poses the question: do I leave it as is, or tinker with the minor cosmetics?...... they old grey matter is mulling that one over as we speak.

So, delighted to be back in the family. This one is a keeper.... can't wait for the weather to pick up, and I look forward to catching up with a few of you reprobates in the near future.

Hugs & kisses

Me

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

Good work!!

Leave as is and use the thing! I been muttering about sorting the cosmetics for the last few years but at the end of the day unless you're going to leave her in the garage those stone chips, scuffs and crack will just come back again.

Have fun!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009