Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Right then better start my '77 S1 project... - Page 29 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Right then better start my '77 S1 project...

Yeah, to cover what happened with mine, the ignition light needs to be seeing over a certain voltage (or something like that).  With an LED it wasn't seeing over that and needed revving a little to get the voltage over and the alternator to fire into life.  If your ignition light is working though then it's probably not that.

• Like 2

Cheers chaps that does actually make good sense. Fact is NO it has been off ever since I've owned the car. Yesterday and much of today I've had the dash back out and got the light working, it's so fragile though, one nugde here or there and it goes back off. I'm going to have to see if I can get the thing working solidly before I put the dash back in. In all honesty I've been through the loom today and can't see anything other than the dash ignition light that seems to be out of place in the alternator/ignition sysyem, I reckon there must be a bad earth somewhere. I really hope it is a simple fix, been stressing the whole bloody bank holiday!

It is the current that needs to flow through the warning bulb. An led draws very little so will not work but a resistor in parallel will fix that. Have you tried revving a bit as most alternators will start working regardless of the exciter circuit at a few thousand rpm and then work fine at idle as well.

It's often the little things that give the most pleasure.

Glad you got it sorted.

:)

• Like 1

It's getting there......

• 2 weeks later...

So I've decided to do a full airride system, I'm fed up with the foot pump and the car has so much good attention that it now deserves a proper system. I bought some airsport bags and with great advice from Rob (V8 airride esprit) managed to get the new airbag (trial fit) installed and although very tight it's gone in. I had to bring the brake line in closer to the wheel hub, take down the trunion nut and move the turret damper pin location hole out about 10mm. The best thing is the bag is in at its lowest setting (full slammage) and spinning, I mean it spins telling me it's not catching at any point even at its lowest point. I've managed to maintain the full touch down look but with a much stronger bag and damper so the car should drive alot better, firmer and faster. Next problem to overcome is a new mounting bracket for the turret, I want this strong, I mean way stronger than factory so I'll take strength over ugly if I have to, meaning more than a few braces will be involved. Anyway, The Red Panther VII is well underway, once I have the fronts installed the car is having a full airride system, tank, compressor and switches. Here's my front wheel for your viewing pleasure...

20150606_094315_zpslgtuofpl.jpg

• Like 1

Luke, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but very many of the problems you have asked for a solution on here have been very basic, and not even Lotus-specific.

Now that's ok, but when you are also attempting very major mods to the basic build, handling and safety of a car, especially a performance car, would It not be sensible, if not for your own sake but for the sake of others, to have your car checked over by a fully competent mechanic?

When I started out, many moons ago, we would chop our motors about without really knowing what we were doing, and more than once have I seen one put into a hedge or somesuch when a 'mod' turned that motor into a veritable deathtrap.

And please don't quote the mantra about it passing an MOT, as I've seen what bollocks they can pass.

Luke, again not being disrespectful, but consider you may owe it if not to yourself, but for others around.

ps. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned by the forum mods before.

Edited by Denis247

Well you've taken it all the wrong way, I'm trying to be helpful and maybe save a little or major incident here.

Some of your questions, even this last one re the alternator lamp, are very basic and are NOT Lotus specific, as was a lot regarding the steering problems you asked about. I haven't read all your posts, nor do I intend to, but I guess there were many more like this.

The point I am making is that you do not seem to know too much about car mechanics in general, and I was just pointing out the safety aspect and recomendation that you get your car checked by a competent mechanic before blasting around the public roads in it.

So now I don't care if I don't sound respectful towards you, but I would rather upset you than not point out what may be a major accident waiting to happen. It's not a toy you're playing with here.

It's most certainly not the job of the forum moderators to vet the mechanical skill of members. Not even nearly.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Stay away from the thread, you don't like it so don't post thanks. Charlie.

Moderators should point out possible safety considerations.

Edited by Vulcan Grey
Keep it civil

Moderators should point out possible safety considerations.

No they shouldn't. Moderators may or may not know the first thing about car mechanics. As I said above, that's completely not their job, nor will it be on any car forum in the world, ever.

Moderators checking people's mechanical work has never been implied, it's just doesn't happen. Imagine the liabilities if we said we'd read every home mechanics posts with no background on their experience or expertise and gave them the thumbs up to drive their cars then something broke or worse.

Forums offer peer-to-peer support, they're not a lesson and mods aren't teachers marking out of ten. 

The very first line of the forum rules everyone agrees to when they join...

Please remember that we, thelotusforums.com are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

All good dude, let me hasten to add that 99% of the folks on here have been more than supportive, just one or two people who think they know it all bring the negativity. The fact is whether Denis247 likes it or not this car is soon to be featured in 3 printed publications, loads of web features pending, it's gunna be everywhere winding him up, in his face and to think all this with my shoddy mechanics. Also he should remember this, this thread has had over 20,000 page views and I would think even more now, and his negative comments (and my wonderful responses) are all there for everyone to see. The Red Panther ain't going nowhere and is about to be lower, faster and even better than before, Denis247 has spurred me on even more now to get it done. 'Your only supposed to blow the bloody doors off! All the best, Charlie ;-)

Edited by Vulcan Grey
Keep it civil.
  • Like 1

this car is soon to be featured in 3 printed publications, loads of web features pending,

And with luck this raises the profile of Elite's in general and maybe prices. I could recoup on my engine costs after all!

No, a Mod's job is to direct the conversation to be civil, and to help when needed.

So a note to both of you.  

Denis and Charlie,

No personal attacks.  No name calling.  No insulting another's skills.  Keep it civil. Take the high ground. 

Denis, 

You can politely suggest something without a backhanded smug insult of a person's skills or decision making abilities. Previously in this thread you appear to be civil and polite.  Keep it that way or stay out, this is Charlie's thread.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Let's all move on, in fighting is not the way to go. The fact is, whether you like this modified elite or not, the profile of the car is getting alot of much deserved attention of an overlooked design and well enginnered car, which can only help as Mike can see. All fair in love and war, I understand (very well now) that my vision of an elite can divide opinions but I certainly never started out to piss people off, far from it, my vision was to have a bad ass car as I come from a hot rodding/modifying background. Now then lets get back on topic...

• Like 1

"Every single aspect of your build has been to the highest of standards imo and probably far better than some "pros" could achieve so you have every right to feel p*ssed off by negative comments from fellow so called enthusiasts especially after you have been so open and honest about everything.

Your skill and can do attitude is an inspiration to many and what you have achieved to date is superb and I know that what is yet to come will be even more so.

Keep up the good work."

Anglia68, RetroRides Forum.

• Like 1

For almost a year I have been a member of this forum and I do not recall anything like this before.

Everyone on a Forum is entitled to an opinion but I did find the comments made over the top even to the insult made about MOT testers.

This thread has broken records as being one of the most visited and the most replies, (as mentioned recently).

Therefore, it is obvious that many find the thread very interesting, me included.

Luke don't give it another thought and for goodness sake do not under any circumstances censor your questions or comments however "basic". As for the specifically mentioned ignition warning lamp problem not being Lotus based is strange, I think all Lotus cars of our era have one.

Every comment, question or post I have seen you place is Lotus based.

By the way I don't like slammed cars but your plan is most interesting and food for thought.

• Like 1