Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Esprit S4 appreciation thread - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Esprit S4 appreciation thread

Loose Cannon

Some great looking cars on here, the S4 does look very "Clean" I cant help but think they were "underwheeled" though

Need some Futura's - Sorted

DSCF4079_zps62cb720a.jpg

• Like 1

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Some great looking cars on here, the S4 does look very "Clean" I cant help but think they were "underwheeled" though

Definitely at the rear, sometimes counteracted by spacers but very easy to oversize them. Also never sure of the long term effects to bearings etc.

When the car came out though they looked massive!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

625 x S4 cars produced.

I'm thinking around 250 have departed this earth.  Another 150 are nearing their life's end. Which leaves around 200 left in the world that are being enjoyed.

I see the Esprit Registry thread is still visible but the accompanying datasheet is no longer there.  Would be interesting to see how many S4 cars on their now.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

8mm front spacers and 30mm rear adapters position the wheels with just the right "factory look"  inset from the edge of the guards I think. With the original positive offsets I doubt there is any excess loading on the bearings.

There wasn't any change to the carriers or bearings for the wider tyres and track of the later versions.

DanR

I can't believe Mark you said the S4s's futura wheels were like kit car wheels. I like the S4, but I do think the standard wheels are way undersized and look like they've been taken from an opel manta gsi. The rear wing, although unique, destroys the lines on the car from the side. Paul Fowler's S4 looks great, but I would remove the spoiler, looks like too much of an aftermarket stuck on job.

The S4 is the baby in the family, S4s is the big brother, and the S300 is the daddy.

If you were all honest and had a choice between owning an S4 or the S4s, I think you'd choose the....

Dave,

proud S4s owner!

I didn't think the S4 wheels were undersized, until I saw the S4s wheels, that is. Now they do look a little small to me, but if I'd never seen the S4s, they'd be perfect!

The spoiler position looks like a bit of an afterthought, but it is certainly more practical for maintenance purposes rather than the S4s' swoopy, wrap-around job.

Whatever, I'm nit-picking, I still think the S4 is a lovely looker, and I love the photos of them.

Margate Exotics.

Hi Dave, all IMHO of course and I know it's swimming against the tide with Futuras, but to me a single casting looks bespoke  to a car, split rims looks like someone got them from a catalogue or a Cobra replica. Having said that I think the split rim Comps on early G Turbos looks the danglies; they look a bit clagged on, but the rest of the bodykit looks clagged on to match. Like the Countach S it looks like the performance has got too big for the body and is bursting out all over, which is a look all its own, whereas the S4 body is a smoothie.

Somehow the mid wing makes the car look bigger? people must have appreciated it at the time as they sold shedloads of cars, and I don't recall many people complaining about, just us picky nerds years down the line!

PS I love the Manta GTE!

I can't believe Mark you said the S4s's futura wheels were like kit car wheels. I like the S4, but I do think the standard wheels are way undersized and look like they've been taken from an opel manta gsi.

Personally I prefer the style of the s4 wheel over the split rims. They just need to be a little wider thats all..and when using the lotus development suspension the car sits a little lower too improving the look.

The rear wing, although unique, destroys the lines on the car from the side.

Personally I disagree..although you cam argue a spoiler on a gt3 ruins its clean look. .

Paul Fowler's S4 looks great, but I would remove the spoiler, looks like too much of an aftermarket stuck on job.

It looks more suited to the car than the 350sport spoiler. Its in the same styling as the facelift of the s4. The 350 has no styling ques in common with the body

The S4 is the baby in the family, S4s is the big brother, and the S300 is the daddy.
If you were all honest and had a choice between owning an S4 or the S4s, I think you'd choose the....

S4 because at the end of the day it has less "stuck on" body additions...arch flairs, bigger wing , split rims..and besides as mentioned before by someone the s4s is overstated. Ive managed to gain substantially more bhp and torque from developing my s4 correctly than a sport300 and im knocking into v8 territory. Its far more driveable and performs better than in its original set up. And its dyno proven. With working aircon ;) and brakes that really stop too :P

Dodge1979,
proud S4 owner!

• Like 1

I tend to get a positive reactions here in oz to the wing. Many think it looks extreme and purposeful  in the sense of being a harbinger of super performance. I won't argue with that nor when they ask me the top speed. I tell them 110kph (our speed limit) which leaves them puzzled.

I've measured the difference in widths between the standard guards and the flares. Actually the flares are only a pofteenth wider so I prefer the cleaner look of the car without them.

DanR

I think the Futura wheels look preferable to my eyes because I like a "deep-dish" look, rather than the wheel hub right at the extreme edge. But I don't have a very good experience with split rims. I've had bolts break in Compomotive split-rims while driving.

Which was interesting........

Margate Exotics.

Loving that overhead shot... I'm half tempted to get my ladders out!

1994 Lotus Esprit S4  &  2016 Tesla Model S P90D

A Long time ago in a galaxy far, far, far away...

Here's a pic of my car at the Lotus dealership in Paignton, UK back in 2002.

lotus180303.jpg

Here's a pic from a Lotus meet at Donnington 2003, from memory.

espritlightmotor019.jpg

Another wider angle pic.

Donnington.jpg

A shot taken down the road from my place, next to the Thames in Windsor.

myespritbrite_zps9bdb0ebf.jpg

Giving the son a drive. - And he didn't stall it once.

LotusMichael_zpsbef793a8.jpg

Plus a myriad of girly photoshoots along the way.

lotus2204125800.jpg

smlEsprit1.jpg

Still enjoying her 12 years later.  :-)

Still enjoying her 12 years later.  :-)

Which one?

So do you get to ditch the front numberplates in Oz?

One of the few 92-on styling flaws IMHO is the lack of coherence in front numberplate mounting, but then the Evora is the same so no lessons learned there!

Couldn't decide so i've kept all three at the moment...

... in my man cave.    Shhhhhhhhhh.

Front plates have to be on.  but I've installed super skinny plates, around a third of the size of the old UK plates.

Ive got some re furbed s4 wheels for my SE, they came with new front hubs so planning on swapping the hubs when i put the wheels on, is there an advantage with wheel spacers i need to consider? Haven't got tyres for them yet so nothing happening swiftly

Just looks AFAIK. The bottom two pics area good comparison, the bright red car has (I think) 25mms on the rear and 10mms on front

It's funny how all esprits with front end repairs have the indicators installed back to front.

Well spotted, I've had that bottom pic 10 years and never noticed! The silk red car has those clear jobbies, maybe he just made a mistake on refitting? I've never really liked the clear indicator look, but when "reversed" they seem to suit the car better.

Now you've said it I'll be looking for this on every car that comes up for sale now. So are you thinking that is a bad sign on the LHD silver GT3 in another thread?

Buyer beware is what i say. Over half the ones for sale in Oz have this 'issue'.

Its not an issue really. You would see signs of nose panel repair inside the front boot if it had been smacked. But as Bibs says, what car hasn't at some point had any cosmetic remedial work done? Stonechips are common on our Esprits..just means some wally put the indicators in wrong way round that's all..Ive seen several UK cars like that

I'm going in the garage now to check and make sure mine are on the wrong way round. Wait to see how many point it out. :-)

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.