Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My Esprit V8 project - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My Esprit V8 project

Lets do the brakes then, as the ones fitted are hardly man enough even with the stock motor.

The rear discs were very worn, and are very expensive to buy. My solution Ford Mondeo rear discs.

They are near the same size and offset and a little thicker, plus you can get them very cheap.

I had to re-drill for the 3 lug fitting.

mondeodiscsside_zpsf3d3bb21.jpg

mondeodiscs_zps3893ab5e.jpg

Carriers had to be ground wider, but as you may know now I`m not afraid to hack away what`s not needed!

modtorearcarriers_zpsbc3be311.jpg

The rear calipers I rebuilt, the hand brake mech was sticking, all fixed now and a lick of paint.

rearcalipers_zpsdb4319e6.jpg

Fronts are much bigger 312 x 30mm from a Audi, I cross drilled them, god that took for ever! and the hubs machined to fit.

frontdiscs_zpsf23369d6.jpg

frontdiscfitted_zpsd088381a.jpg

Front calipers from a Porsche 996, don’t think this setup would fit inside those little stock 15” wheels….

frontbrakes_zps36789f17.jpg

frontcaliper_zps6805a8a5.jpg

Many hours have been spent searching on the internet for parts which I can use, I have a small budget and little spare time to work on the car, so its been a long and stressful time, I have lost so many pictures? It`s taking time to find what I have left and to get them uploaded.

I hope some of you are enjoying the show.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ok so lets look at the rear suspension, the shocks/dampers were rusty and old when I got the car so time for some upgrades.

I had already wasted time by cleaning and painting the old dampers, but they really needed changing. I got some Protec units from sjsports cars,

They looked nice but as you can see they are made wrong? They are longer and have less articulation, you can not lower the car by much and that was very disappointing. I was planning to use air springs/bags and wanted to lower the car very low when parked.

protecrearshocks_zps2c72375f.jpg

LOWSHOCK_zps54a20c71.jpg

The bags are easy to fit to the dampers with some work to the lower spring seat.

rearshocksandair_zpscc72bf13.jpg

Ok so some of you may want to look away! I have hacked the top spring mount off to allow the bag to bolt direct to the chassis.

rearshockaittopremoved_zps7c8e2d15.jpg

That’s the rear bag sorted.

rearairbag_zpsdac92329.jpg

That’s with about 30 psi, should be able to get it drive like a dream with some final tweaking with pressures, and of course can adjust the ride height to what ever I like all from inside the car with a flick of a switch, well that’s the plan.

rearairwithsomeair_zpsa421ac82.jpg

Air line fitted, good to go.

rearairbagline_zps0a52d78f.jpg

The front was a nightmare! More on that latter, get the pop corn ready…..

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

Ok, no offence meant by this post.....

S3. Yup ok, nice.

TVR engine, umm, yup that's cool... Should sound meaty and go very well indeed...

Wheels, like what you've done with them, not my choice of design, not my car. Like the rear outer barrel replacement...

Air suspension. That shit is pretty cool too. Never been in a car with them, heard they ride like crap, but hell, coolness far outweighs the handing/comfort issues.

But hang on, wait a minute.....

What the holy mother of fcuk have you done to those disks? Please don't drive on them!

I'm a little worried to ask, but what do you do for a living?

You have holes everywhere, through the vanes as well by the looks of them. I'm seriously worried about your life if you drive on them, your risking them literally exploding during heavy braking.

They would have been more than man enough without the cross drilling,

Please please go out and buy another pair!

Callipers, yep great. Look good, will stop it well, have you looked into master cylinder size?

Also how are you planning on balancing that little lot?

Re drilling disks front and rear may cause you massive problems with vibrations.

I like it, but that just looks plain dangerous!

Chunky Lover

What the holy mother of fcuk have you done to those disks? Please don't drive on them!

You have holes everywhere, through the vanes as well by the looks of them. I'm seriously worried about your life if you drive on them, your risking them literally exploding during heavy braking.

Re drilling disks front and rear may cause you massive problems with vibrations.

I like it, but that just looks plain dangerous!

dude chill out the discs are safe! Not sure what you think is unsafe? I never drilled the large holes around the hub side, that’s how they are cast. Many cars have cross drilled discs? have you really never seen it before? have done it many times no problems. The PCD re-drilling was done professionally by a precision engineering workshop. The rears are as I brought them new only the PCD was changed.

great monster garage ! love it !

thanks, all done on my drive way, wish I had a garage big enough to work in!

Looks good .Lots of hard work on your part.Great looking car the s3.Mike se turbo.

thanks mike

Ooooh air suspension, look forward to hearing about that .

Trevor.

working on it..........lost many of the pics, may have to take some more

Nice Progress!

thanks

Like what you have done with the engine. Not keen on the wheels.

Chris

Wow.looks fantastic love the wheels good on you.Mike

thanks, yes I love them too....

You need sparking clean out for your choice of wheel.

Other than that, great work.

not sure what you are saying? you don`t like the wheels?

not sure what you are saying? you don`t like the wheels?

I love those wheels on an S car, with the arches.

The smaller wheels with fatter tyres suit the G car...... if you kept the car looking standard. i.e. beautiful, I'd totally get it but it looks like you're forcing it to look more modern which is impossible with a wedge shaped car.

Again, the work you're doing is magnificent and everything you do is absolutely your choice.

Plus, I'm a historian by profession so I'm stuck in the past  :getmecoat:

I like them and that`s what counts to me.

Couldn't agree more - It's your car :thumbsup: 

dude chill out the discs are safe! Not sure what you think is unsafe?

I think he means you have too many holes  :shock:

The holes are there to let the gas out (grooves actually work better than holes but manufacturers put holes because they look sexier) but you need disc material for for the pads to grip on.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

so does any one else think the discs are unsafe? yes I know they have a risk of cracking as do all drilled brakes, but what I have done would not make the car unsafe would it?

now this I would not drive! that is fooking crazy.........

drilledrotor1160178308117709297712931361

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

I thought the discs looked unsafe too but didn't comment in case I came across completely negative. Too many holes (not far off the one above just smaller) plus the outer ring look too close to the edge. But hey I'm no engineer.

Personally I like your wheels, the Giugiaro Esprit is such a strong design it's very hard to spoil it with a change of rim. IMHO the S3 suits flashy rims in a way other models don't, possibly to draw attention from the large bumpers. There are some great pics on Japanese websites

Oh and I love the Rover V8, just saying IMHO the esprit needs something more techy and revvy.

100320_16b.jpg

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Given the projected power output (circa 300bhp absolute max?) and lowish weight and compromised suspension, I'd suggest it's highly unlikely you'll ever need anything other than off the shelf discs. It's worth noting the factory V8SE (a 350bhp, 175mph, 1400kgs car) uses plain non-drilled or grooved discs.

It's also very easy to induce micro-cracks during such a manufacturing process.

Also, as the holes (or grooves) are to release the gas build up, two holes (maybe three at a push) beneath the pad at any given point of rotation will be enough to release it all & so more holes are pointless.  :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Ok for all you keyboard warriors! I have been working on cars for well over 30+ years, and drilled my discs many times, cosworth, skyline etc, etc,

Never had a brake disc crack or explode! Yes sometimes drilled discs can have micro hairline cracks, I will take the risk! and yes I want a dangerous fast car! If I wanted safe i`ll drive some nasty little fwd snot box……...

WW_140-2119-D_AT_zps97756e01.jpg

winrotor_zps23ed9ee9.jpg

win_6_pot_01_zps1e2fea28.jpg

wil-160-0277_w_zpsafc4e66a.jpg

solid-steel-front-rotors_zpsfdb4d4d3.jpg

new_rotors_zps8b142686.jpg

hppp_1003_07_z1967_pontiac_gtodrilled_ro

features-performance-cross-drilled-rotor

brembo_gran_turismo_red_drilled_zps49cb4

99635240104SEBlr_zps7d713144.gif

2552_l_P915454_zps8525e223.jpg

1280px-Ferrari_F430_Challenge_Brake_zpsd

_571_zps0816f19e.jpg

_57_zpse0dab767.jpg

BRAKEKIT996TTFUGlr_zpsa065ff77.jpg

987frrot_zpsb8da4a1c.jpg

My discs have small holes and yes they have been counter sunk, which may make the holes look bigger, but have seen plenty with much larger holes, The discs were made for a large heavy Audi, they were made to stop a big heavy car, they are 30mm thick and brand new! I bet they are stronger and safer then loads of you that are running old discs with no holes. I done it just because I like the look, and yes the brakes don’t need it but I chose to do it. Can we put this to bed now..............

Edited by V8-ESPRITS3

I thought the discs looked unsafe too but didn't comment in case I came across completely negative. Too many holes (not far off the one above just smaller) plus the outer ring look too close to the edge. But hey I'm no engineer.

Really? not far off the one above? the one above is more hole than disc, and you are saying mine is nearly as bad?

Given the projected power output (circa 300bhp absolute max?) and lowish weight and compromised suspension, I'd suggest it's highly unlikely you'll ever need anything other than off the shelf discs. It's worth noting the factory V8SE (a 350bhp, 175mph, 1400kgs car) uses plain non-drilled or grooved discs.

was done just because I like it, I am not building it to race or trackday or doing lap records, its my road car for fun.

Also, as the holes (or grooves) are to release the gas build up, two holes (maybe three at a push) beneath the pad at any given point of rotation will be enough to release it all & so more holes are pointless.  :thumbup:

I agree but it looks good, and I like it, its my car and I`ll build it how I want it, and if anyone proves I have done any unsafe mods will be more than happy to correct it. Too many keyboard warriors with strong opinions. I wonder if its worth posting any more pictures of the build.

So if someone spots a potentially dangerous issue with your car you'd prefer it if nothing constructive was said and comments were left to general chit chat or sucking up. Ok.

Ooh it's lovely colour.