Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I've got a waste gate and I wanna use it! - Page 10 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I've got a waste gate and I wanna use it!

@Stimpy - the Flywheel can be subject to hotspots and uneven wear. If you fit a new clutch to an old flywheel without checking its flat or skimming it, you will shorten the life of the new clutch.

All clutch manufacturers will insist you fit a new flywheel to be covered by their warranty.

As said above, a light skim to flatten it should be fine.

:)

aha!! Now that makes a lot of sense. You really do learn something new every day. I guess the comparison would be putting brake pads on a car with warped disks.

I hear the ideas of making it a DIY project But I'm going to be a coward and leave it to anyone experienced.

I asked about labour costs associated with the work if I brought along my bits and was told it would be 720 quid including the vat and it would be capped at that. Based upon 8 hours Max. I quite like estimates based upon a capped figure - you know what to expect and the only movement regarding costs could only be downwards. They would replace the crank seals (?) as an opportunity while the box comes out.

I have no problem with any forum member volunteering to do the fitting stuff with a lesser charge, and quite local as long as it could be done in a day. I have no problem with paying someone to sort it and furthermore if said volunteer sources good parts I would not mind them making a mark-up on the parts as it removes the hunting around etc. Also those seals need to be included.

Sparkey - I realise you have excellent skills along with trustworthiness however I would never want to make assumptions plus I seem to remember that you have a major backlog from when we spoke last time, however if you do want to give it a go based on you happily doing so (rather than just being used as a local-ish chap who would do it and derive no pleasure) then I'm all ears!!

For the moment I shall do the suggested shop-around based upon the posts I've already read.

Thanks to everyone for your support, even poster 'Advantage' who forgot the smileys that changes a 'third person' insult into a bit of gentle ribbing :-)

Fit it in while your on extended sick based retirement. Do it on the hush hush, nobody will ever know...! :thumbsup:

[[shock]] - woould I do such a thing? Dear-oh-dear :-)

AcTually I was a Bit daft by keeping going into work well into the flipping symptoms. That was a heap of fun....

Your being charged £600 plus vat for a days labour at £75+ vat per hour.  If you think that's ok then go for it. 

Your being charged £600 plus vat for a days labour at £75+ vat per hour.  If you think that's ok then go for it. 

Also included in that price is the knowledge, experience and skillset of the person working on your car. Depending on the person that could be exceptionally expensive or exceptionally cheap.

• Like 2

I would have thought about £1300 fitted a more resonable price ,as everyone has said shop around,it is only a car .if you continue to drive and the clutch does slip you will end up needimg a new flywheel if on the other hand you dont you may not....

Try Geoff at Esprit Eng for a quote.

Simplest things first.

pete - I'll break it down.....

Turbo/ECU stuff sorted  - which meant we found that the clutch is slipping on torque.  So new 'episode'

I came here to express the happiness of the low cost fix for the ECU but then the horror of how much a clutch & bits cost.

I came here to express my woes of avoiding something that could have been expensive and then ..... found out there was something else that even more expensive (talk about inverse silver lining).

So - I mentioned that the labour wasn't  too bad it was just the bits that were really expensive.

The conclusion is:-------

I am advised to shop around (with some examples) because there maybe be wild differences in prices

Also there are other methods to 'new flywheel'

Which leaves me with three alternatives

1) Go out and get my own parts after shopping around - get Taff to fit them

2) Ask someone in-the-know here to source the bits - get Taff to fit them

3) Ask someone in-the-know here to source the bits - and ask a friendly member here to fit the stuff (at my expense, naturally)

4) Get SGT to source the bits (2300 for clutch and 1000 for flywheel) and get Taff to fit them - (8 hours work).

One option which is completely ruled out ends with ....'get myself to fit them'.

Hope that makes sense 

Huh - 13th page.  '13'.  Funny it being that number - ah?

SJ quote less than £500 (net) for s4s clutch kit.   Very unlikely your flywheel will need anything more than a £40 tidy up from an machine shop/engine rebuilder.  Just for comparison, I'd ask someone like Pete Musgrove (PNM) how much he would charge - One advantage of someone like Pete is that he can recondition/fix most things, as he has the machines on site.  

• Gold FFM

Not sure of S4s, but assume previous quote of £500. Flywheel ground for max £60. One day to change the clutch. Let's go 8 hours at £75 = £600. Throw in seals at max £150. I'm seeing around £1300 total here.

• Like 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Actually - this has been full of brilliant info.  And thus thanks to everyone.

What I'm going to do is as follows:-

Shop around for clutch kit (using recommendations right here)

Inquire about flywheel tidy up 

Get Taff to fit (normally £110/hr but he charges me £65/hr for some reason - might be that I've 'used' (terrible word) him for 15 years)

The thing about the Taff labour bit is I get a lovely (!) loan car for the duration and it's 5 miles away - and this is not a comment regarding the skills of anyone on this forum but you can see that it gets rid of multiple logistical issues regarding moving things around - requiring transport - risk - using someone else's petrol  :rambo: etc

Right - lets get shopping......

(and thanks again, all )

Edited by Stimpy

What about the Mini & Stag? They can't all be off the road! :lol:

PS It's courteous to refill a courtesy car to the level it was when you were given it. I don't think they mean to include free petrol. 

If it's not already been suggested, 'CHANGES' on here has sourced some excellent replacement clutch kits. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.