Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S4 vs GT3 - the age old dilemma - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S4 vs GT3 - the age old dilemma

Davswilson

Just looked - 196 GT3's, less than I thought. S4 -625 made

The S4 was built in larger numbers for the US. The 4 cyl market  had dried up there by the time the GT3 came along due to tightening emissions regs, so it just went ROW.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Got to agree with Owen about the S4s dash. I love all the gauges, not that I can see most of them, but that wood veneer? What WERE they thinking?

I have some future plans to remove said hideous wood, or simply re-cover it with something more suitable, but I haven't decided what as yet.

As for which is the best car, I think it's purely subjective, and aesthetic.

Margate Exotics.

Got to agree with Owen about the S4s dash. I love all the gauges, not that I can see most of them, 

Not sure if it will fit to later cars but  you can get a momo off sett hub that raises the wheel by 15mm. I can now see all gauges clearly and fully apart from the fuel gauge.  Obviously when  you turn the wheel it drops by 15mm from it original position as well.   I did have to machine out some of the ally with a router to make it fit cleanly but it was worth it for me to do.

Previous thread and pics here    http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/63191-momo-offset-steering-wheel-boss/?hl=%2Boffset+%2Bwheel

One of the S4s cars I looked at had been modded by the owner. The steering column bracket had been raised, or he'd made a new one, so the column was higher. He had also found a method of tilting the binnacle upwards, and had fitted the wheel you mentioned. All in all, he'd done a very good job, although I'm not a lover of the offset Momo wheel.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Huh!  Driving gloves at dawn.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I think the thougt of the offset boss leaves an uncomfortable feeling but in practise it works very well and you don't notice the offset when turning. might be different with a full size steering wheel but as most know, Sparky's is smaller than most.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM

It's what you do with it.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

As Trevor has said it works well and its only when I see comments about people not seeing  half the gauges I remember  I have one fitted.  I picked mine up 2nd hand on ebay for £8 so it was hardly a massive risk if it didn't work. 

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread - I'm viewing a GT3 next week, 1997 R with 17k miles. Last service was C August '14. Red with black interior...seems all original(advertised on esprit4sale).

Tempted here cos of the mileage / original condition.

What would you say is a fair price (advertised @ £22500). Having read the thread here seems some think an S4 would be higher than GT3, but very few GT 3 around.

Yes there's also the S4S @£25k.

17k mile Esprits are extremely few and far between now. £22k sounds a lot but I reckon it will keep it's value long term if you keep it mint, plus you can always make an offer as it's been for sale since August last year

That orange one at South West Lotus doesn't look quite as nice from the pics I've seen, plus it has 79000 miles. If it were me at least, 17k vs 79k is worth way more than 4 grand

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

trouble is with that low mileage to keep its value you would be afraid to drive it.If you want it to be a garage queen thats fine but if you want drive it the high milrage one would be better

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I did have a think on the Orange GT3, prefer orange or yellow, but don't want to run too many risks with higher miles n wear.. Doesn't mean it hasn't been taken care of but 17k vs 79k...

s4 vs gt3 I wouldnt mind either.

There is no such thing as a cheap Esprit. Repeat it 10 times in front of the mirror, and you will have saved probably £10,000 in spare parts alone. Just buy the best car you can afford. I'd take a 17k GT3 for 22k in a heartbeat. It will hold its value, even with more than double the mileage.  

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Remember this: THEY'RE ALL VERY OLD. And that means everything on the car. It's not just running gear that deteriorates, it's everything. Just because it has covered less miles doesn't mean it's a 'better' car. One that's been properly looked after by a decent owner (and God knows I saw some expensive rubbish when I looked around) is arguably a better bet than a lower mileage car that's been neglected.

Vanya has it spot on - these are expensive cars to run properly. They need careful, and regular maintenance, and as most things are a complete pain in the arse to get to, that maintenance can tend to get by-passed.

Just sayin'.....

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.