Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Getting the 'other half' interested! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Getting the 'other half' interested!

• Gold FFM

Does anybody else have the same problem?

Saying "would you like to come out for a ride in the Lotus today" gets the same reaction as "would you like to sit in the dentists chair all day"

How do I overcome this problem? - A night away in Esprit? Two nights away in Esprit, Let her drive Esprit? :lol: (ok maybe thats going too far)

Am I the only one with this problem?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily my new girlfriend likes the Esprit a lot !

We take it out to party, or just for a stroll ...

I had the Esprit before I had my girlfriend, so liking the Esprit was a requirement :lol:

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

what is this talk i dont understand BAHAHAHAHA

misses owns a monster modded supra, and would drive hers more than being a passenger in mine, as hers is quicker LOL. i own the girl family car in our relationship LOL

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

The only time my missus eyes light up, is when I say its for sale....

She's been in it once in a year, and said 'I prefered the shape of the other one'.... (Elise)

Ho hum, anyway I find its better without ones 'rev limiter' in the passenger seat!

Give up now....

I've never had a problem with my GF's at all! They've all loved the car :lol:

I wouldn't expect them to particularly enjoy the Parts Fair type events - ffs - let's face it - Half of US don't like them and spend half the time saying they're only going to meet up with people and stand around in the car park!

However things like the Tunnel Run and hoons etc they all love as there's more 'point' to it as far as they've been concerned.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Patty (my fiancee) is as interested in cars as I am in drinking squirrel urine.

I think the most important thing is that her experience of the Lotus -- which includes everything you say about it and the other Lotus people she meets as well as her actual experience with the car itself -- is fun and enjoyable.

Headache from a loud exhaust = not fun.

Sweaty from hot day/no air conditioning = not fun.

Shampoo bottle burst in boot from engine heat on weekend trip = not fun.

Boyfriend constantly spewing technical terms and other stuff she doesn't care for = not fun.

Hanging around a bunch of sweaty guys whose entire social scope is limited to talking about horsepower and acceleration times = not fun.

Stranded at side of road = not fun.

Calling a flatbed/towing service = not fun.

Worried boyfriend talking about something that might go wrong with the car = not fun.

Doing so while riding in the car = really not fun.

To help her enjoy the Esprit, here are some things I do:

- Keep it clean, inside and out.

- Get in, turn the key, savor it for a moment while it warms up a little, and go. Do all the oil checking, etc. beforehand and afterwards.

- If we go out to dinner, I try to take the Lotus

- If we do something special, I try to take the Lotus

- If we go to something car-related, I make sure there will be other non-car-freak females before I ask her.

- Talking about the car, I try to connect it to non-car things that she appreciates and understands. I try to put it in the context of history, art, design, society, etc. as opposed to the World of Lotus.

- We went to the Formula 1 race and she enjoyed the spectacle and novelty of it, if not the cars and racing.

- At the Ault Park Concours d' Elegance, she enjoyed the gardens and art show. Seeing other people's appreciation for the cars also helped.

- This weekend we are going to a large park/nature preserve. We're taking the Lotus.

- Occasionally she appreciates the admiration for the car from other people.

- I don't try to hide the smile on my face when I'm driving it. :o

On several occasions, she has helped me work on the Lotus (or other cars). Not in the least what she is interested in doing, but I appreciated her generosity for helping me and she got the satisfaction of helping someone, learning something, and accomplishing something. :o

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Mrs.Barratt is not interested in cars at all. :)

She appeared more involved and tollerant before we got married however, and would go to the circuits, shows and car related places with me all the time :o

However, I suppose watching me in my oil tot has lost its attraction! :o

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Just to buck the trend, Carolyn loves the Esprit and once I sell the white car she wants me to buy her a G Shape car!!!

If we were keepng the white car though then she would have that!!!

Guess I'm fortunate she shares my passion for cars and she also has a 79 Opel Kadett Coupe which we are waiting to put a bigger engine in.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

My Ex Tasha was totally disinterested in carrs until she went out with me and saw the light by way of the Esprit going REALLY fast :o and rapidly wanted an S1 Elise :)

Debbie left the Hethel weekend with a new found desire for an Elise too :o

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Synopsis of recent conversation with Mrs TT

So, would you like to come to a rolling road/owners' meet next Saturday?

What's one of those then?

Well, there's fifteen of us going across to Silverstone in Northampton where we'll stand around admiring and chatting about each other's cars, whilst each car's power is measured on a rolling road.

Hmm, that doesn't sound very interesting... are there any shops nearby? :o

No

Is anyone else's wife/girlfriend going?

No

Will there be any 'rally driving' (Mrs TT's term for any moderately fast driving) involved?

Quite possibly.

What time would we be leaving Manningtree?

6 o'clock

<sounding incredulous> What, 6 o'c in the morning on a Saturday?

Yep

No, you go on your own and enjoy yourself.

So I did :o

Recently, (me) "fancy a trip to the factory, loads of esprits going" (wife) "not there again, been there done that" (me) " okay, I'll go on my own then". On leaving sunday morning, I said "see you monday night" (wife) "WHAT!!!, you staying over night? and you booked a double room! are there any single women going?

(me) "I bloody hope so!!" :o

Treat em' mean! B)

MY Dragon ............(Quote)

"If you think I am getting in that 'Car ?' and riding down the road with my arse dragging along the ground you have another think coming .......Lets sell that stupid thing eh? and get another Range Rover "

This from the woman (when we were a lot younger ) who I had to fight tooth and nail to get the keys to drive our S2 Elan.

In my opinion, Older Women just want the safe but boring Same Old ,Same Old and are most certainly 'Not Up For It ' No adventure in their souls. If you are worried about being 'compatible' with your partner when you are young , just wait until the pair of you get to late middle age !! :):o

Having said that, we have such differing likes and dislikes we get on famously :o

The older I get the more determined I get . to pack more into my life before I run out of time!

Mike

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

I'm obviously spoilt. Fran isn't any sort of petrolhead but still seems happy to come along to loads of events with me - or let me go on my own. When she does come - LEF Factory day, Castle Combe Rally day, Classic car show, MPH, Club Lotus Castle Combe, Sunbeam Lotus OC day at Race Shack, etc - she nearly always finds stuff (or other people!) to enjoy, but if she has something else she'd rather do, then I get no ag at all about going on my own. How lucky am I! :o

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

holy crap mike youre scaring me

my girl is generally not interested either but shes up for a drive now and then

but pretty much only if she thinks im feeling lonely. she likes the esprit but i have to take it easy cuz she gets a bit car sick...

luckily other girls dont!! :o

seriously tho - as others point out above - if theres some cool destination she's way more keen - like a nice log cabin to spend the night or a hot spring, sunset from a mountain, etc... ps: you have to be careful about bears around here. my friend had his convertible roof torn up by a grizzly going for some food he left in the back seat - no joke

but it seems like 'just driving' is only fun for the evil super hot racy mamas that torment me!!! vixi!!! :o

my girl doesnt like them - no idea why

Edited by robcun
factory.jpg

You guys are fortunate to have a girlfriend or a wife even! Stop complaining!!!

In my experience of club road trips, I've noticed other member's girlfriends and wives frequently choose not to go along and the reason given is that they don't like the "spirited driving" (*) that usually accompanies such trips.

I tend to agree - our club has track days, which are inexpensive, and I think the high speed driving should be confined to that. The breakfast or lunch trips should be enjoyable for all.

-Dave

(*) twisty mountain roads at triple the posted limit; so, once they've been scared, they don't come back

Edited by mr50bmg

All Cows Eat Grass

You guys are fortunate to have a girlfriend or a wife even! Stop complaining!!!

In my experience of club road trips, I've noticed other member's girlfriends and wives frequently choose not to go along and the reason given is that they don't like the "spirited driving" (*) that usually accompanies such trips.

I tend to agree - our club has track days, which are inexpensive, and I think the high speed driving should be confined to that. The breakfast or lunch trips should be enjoyable for all.

-Dave

(*) twisty mountain roads at triple the posted limit; so, once they've been scared, they don't come back

My wife doesn't like holding the flashlight whilst I fix something, and she definitely doesn't like driving in the Esprit in the rain! You're not alone!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

[

-Dave

Edited by MKE40

"Neglect not thy opportunities"

Martock ,Somerset. 1661

I've never had a problem with my GF's at all! They've all loved the car :o

Yeah, 16 year olds are impressed at that sort of thing....... :o

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer