Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear Xmas Special 2014 (Esprit in Patagonia) - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear Xmas Special 2014 (Esprit in Patagonia)

Really looking forward to seeing a Lotus Esprit unfolded (or maybe folded) to millions of people. There's going to be a higher demand for those old used cars, I guess.

Kind regards

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 2 weeks later...

When is it on. I will make sure I am elsewhere. I stopped watching top gear years ago. Just a bunch of prats with no mechanical skills wrecking perfectly good cars. If anyone thinks that enntertainment then you are not car enthusiasts!

Well said Tony and I can relate to much of what you said.

Firstly I'll say it does annoy me at a number of levels and some shows I do switch off for all the well discussed reasons as I think it can be racist and insulting to some cultures.  I have also felt for some others affected by their stupidity if really as shown which I'm not so sure are. (I'm thinking the cross channel episode amongst others with a ferry coming into Dover harbour.  You have no idea how that Master will have felt or the pressure he was under!) 

BUT having worked in Brazil, GOM, India, Canada and now Angola  for most of the last 15 years (well all my 40 years working life actually but these are the years when sat TV has been available on rigs and ships & Top Gear has been popular in present format) I am always amazed at how the other countries and cultures view it.  It is loved for it's lack of being PC, mainly power slides and taste of the exotics that some places never see and can only dream about. It is watched intently by so many of my crews and eagerly awaited when the show is on.  Just the other night South African TV that we get here, had a 2003 episode on with a BMW Z4M Alpina being slated and everybody was talking about that the next day at Smoke-O. That is on at prime time 20:00 on a main channel.  It is also a MASSIVE income earner for the BBC as shown so world wide even if some countries use an edited version where the couch bullshit session and SIARPC is out. Probably to make way for advert time and the stars aren't maybe in many countries.

Of course it will continue to divide people but then lets face it that is deliberate.  Are we any different to the Morris Marina Owners Club or the Caravan Club in holding our opinion about what they do to a lovely Lotus?  

It was lovely as I looked at it and sat in it at MMC and even discussed purchase idly.  The quote of Craig was that is a car to put in a garage and drive on sunny weekends and it will only go up in value.  A keeper Allan. Oh dear.........

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Quote from Al...

" I have also felt for some others affected by their stupidity if really as shown which I'm not so sure are. (I'm thinking the cross channel episode amongst others with a ferry coming into Dover harbour.  You have no idea how that Master will have felt or the pressure he was under!)"

Some years ago I was on the bridge of one of the now defunct Olau line ferries from Sheerness to Vlissingen...leaving harbour at Vlissingen. Totally drama free and all accomplished by small movements of little levers on the wing of the bridge, to get away from the dockside. Then we started to move towards the sea...and some twerp in a 30 foot yacht bimbled about in front of us!! It certainly cured me of any such manoeuvres... I sometimes get complaints from "those who know" that I am not exercising my "right of way". What I am doing is making a distinct alteration of course so that it is obvious that I am going to pass astern of the heavy metal; easier all round. Of course, if it's the Sunseeker at 40 knots one can pass in front with rather more aplomb....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I am not sure if I am looking forward to it or not. Clarkson is bound to completely slag off the Esprit "Plastic car blah blah" despite the fact that Lotus were 20 years ahead of everyone else in use of composites which are now commonplace in cars.

• Like 1

I am also looking forward to this, as long as it doesn't hit the lows of the India "special".

Watched the JC/RH perfect road trip 2 last night, which I have to say I enjoyed (despite a few negative reviews on Amazon).  Just two guys driving nice cars in nice weather, no stats (other then 0-60 times) and although clearly scripted it wasn't too obvious. And the only car crash was a genuine one!

I am not sure if I am looking forward to it or not. Clarkson is bound to completely slag off the Esprit "Plastic car blah blah" despite the fact that Lotus were 20 years ahead of everyone else in use of composites which are now commonplace in cars.

That's the problem..... not long ago Clarkson was saying how much he loved the Esprit.... one of his favourite cars yada yada yada.

If it suits him to rip the piss out of it for comedy value.... and I suspect in this case it will..... he won't bat an eyelid.

I'd be very surprised to see the Esprit come out of this in a positive light........ 

I can't wait either! Always wondered how the Esprit would handle a bit of 'off roading'! :D

It copes surprisingly well actually. :secret:

Some time ago I took the Esprit when going to a meeting and upon exiting the car park found the road to be, err, missing. The only way out was via a building site, cleared and leveled just enough to allow a car through. My offroad experience came in handy to plot a course avoiding the deepest puddles and the Esprit handled it just fine. The traces of mud spray do look better on the Range Rover, no denying that.

Filip   

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.