Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V6 LF1 MIL light - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V6 LF1 MIL light

Hi all,

I had the dreaded MIL light yesterday.

I started my car and immediately noticed the idle was lumpy.  As I drove the car out of my garage the car was spluttering and felt like the engine was being flooded each time I pressed the accelerator pedal.  It would initially die then cough back into life and rev.  I tried switching the car off again but it made no difference.  Nor did allowing the car to idle until it had warmed up.

Amazingly I started it this morning and the light has gone off.  I assume it's the exhaust sensor creating the error.

The car has 340miles on the clock...

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not had any issues with mine yet, done 400 miles.

Get Murrays to collect it and sort it out, probably something easy for them to fix. I wouldn't run it incase it damages the cats.

Got nearly 2800 km on it without trouble. Some of the germans colleagues are telling about such kind of troubles and recommend to disconnect the 12V for a minute and than, after reconnecting, starting again. In more or less all cases the car runs again as usual.

Update: Murrays think it's the Shell V-Power Nitro+ fuel that's the problem.  I'm a little concerned that a car this expensive doesn't run properly on a premium fuel so i'm making a call the Hethel to discuss.

The MIL light is also back on again.

Can't be Vpower, I've done over 9000 miles mainly on Vpower, never seen the mil light once.

Hope you find a fix soon, must be disappointing but most probably something minor. Is your airbox and exhaust standard?

Can't be Vpower, I've done over 9000 miles mainly on Vpower, never seen the mil light once.

Hope you find a fix soon, must be disappointing but most probably something minor. Is your airbox and exhaust standard?

The car is totally standard. I'm waiting on Hethel phoning me back but in the meantime Craig at Murrays in Edinburgh would like the car to read the fault codes.

Agree with above can't be the V power. I've got 4800 miles in 1 year and 1 week's ownership and I've mainly used V power and Tesco momentum. Car still epic to drive. I'd be interested in what code it throws up?

Brian I've just read your post and have to say I really feel for you.  If like me the Exige V6 is the pinnacle of your car buying, then it should be filled with excited and expectation everytime you go to drive it, not a dread of whether the MIL will come one.  I'd be truly gutted in your position.

I would get it back to the dealer ASAP.  You've not bought a Kia, you've bought a Lotus at considerable expense they need to treat the matter with the upmost respect.

Again hope you get it sorted quick so you can some enjoyment from the car before the winter hits.  I'm sat here typing this looking out the window wishing it would stop raining so I can go for a drive.

Hi Brian

Sorry to hear about your problem with the LF1. I am sure Craig will get to the bottom of it.

Welcome to the forum by the way, your LF1 must be the 3rd one in Scotland.

I am not sure if you are aware yet that we have a very active regional group here in Scotland, LEGS http://4lot.us/legs which stands for Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland.

We meet on for breakfast on the first Sunday of the month and our next meet is at The Carfraemill Hotel, Carfraemill if you are interested in joining us and meeting up with our other LEGends!  Click on the link for details

I will also add you to the group PM list and you will receive a message when we organise an event.

Hope to see you soon.

Regards

Brian

The car had fault code 'P1302 MISFIRE Catalyst Damage Levels'. 

Gary from Murrays came through to check the car and gave the car a once over and cleared the fault code.   I'm still being advised not to use V-Power Nitro+ but I'm about to phone Hethel and request it in writing.

More to come no doubt...

Murrays seem to have a very good reputation amongst the members in here and it surprises me that they are insisting on you not using V-Power, it's doesn't make any sence

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

That P1302 is a pretty generic one.  Often due to loose coil pack connectors, moist coil pack connectors, etc.  Could also be the spark plugs, but doubtful regarding how new your car is.

If it doesn't come back after the reset, then it was your typical electrical gremlin.  If it does, your dealer should probably check all ignition related connectors and grounds.

IMHO not fuel related at all... (but who am I)

No-way no-how I can see it's fuel related to the brand of petrol being used, especially since others on here are not having the same problem and it's unique to your car. If there was an issue with the fuel, it wouldn't be on sale, I'm sure they have a lot of regs to adhere to. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Bibs is right about the fuel. The testing done on fuel at production is quite extensive. (I work there) However, water in the ground tanks of the servo you may use regularly or contamination in their tanks is not something the supplier can control.

Do you always use the same garage to fill up?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

193 kms. Awesome Bibs. :rofl:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Contamination in the fuel isn't out of the question.... if you remember a little while back how much Tesco had to pay out because their fuel was contaminated with Silicon and it poisoned lamda sensors and cats up and down the country.

Cost millions in damages.

I was under the impression from some peoples complaints on other forums that connectors and leads in MAF sensors can be a bit on the weak side.  This would cause the lamda to throw a fault code on most cars.

• Gold FFM

If the cats got poisoned from the petrol, what about all the dogs? :getmecoat: