Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
chevrolet v8 in Esprit - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

chevrolet v8 in Esprit

I have a gold 79 s2 esprit and a parted out 84 body and chassis that I am using to install 283 chevy. I finaly got around to making an adaptor plate to mount chevy v8 or 90 degree v6 to the citroen transaxle. I used a racercar engine plate to set the engine side holes. Next made an alignment tool to center a bell housing I bought off ebay.I used 3/4 mdf board for the rough fitment I have the two mated now so I can make rough measurements to fit engine and accessories to chassis.

Ill make a 1/8 inch steel plate with exact measurements that the machine shop will use as the master pattern. I wont know the thickness of final plate to be made of aluminum until I take the trans out of the gold car. 

Ill use the smaller 153 tooth automatic flexplate from chevy to start motor. An aluminum adaptor hub will then bolt thru the flexplate to the crankshaft with staggered holes to mount the lotus flywheel and clutch

I plan to make 2 of everything including the engine mounts.ill just drop a few pics for now.

post-17021-0-76324900-1415056021.jpg

post-17021-0-09533300-1415056055.jpg

post-17021-0-35394300-1415056082.jpg

post-17021-0-05735800-1415056108.jpg

post-17021-0-70422300-1415056121.jpg

post-17021-0-21391100-1415056173.jpg

So far looks like it will fit with a little modification. The 4.3 v6 would deffinately fit with ease and work with the same adaptor. I may have to cut a little box into the interior if water pump doesnt fit,but that would just eliminate the little storage box behind your elbow. Ill know in a couple days and fit with more pics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Been a while and these pics are older but ended up making the adaptor in my own shop,just had the steel yard rough cut a piece of 1 inch thick aluminum for me. First try it bolted right up aligned beautifuly. The engine and trans is now mounted and bolted to the frame. I gotta take more pics of engine in frame with the accessories on.

post-17021-0-92232200-1427060183.jpg

post-17021-0-53757900-1427060220.jpg

post-17021-0-27499300-1427060245.jpg

• Gold FFM

What is the hp output of the v8? Can the box handle it?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Won't the transmission input shaft an inch too short because of the adaptor plate?

Cheers,

John W

I machined a spacer hub that extends the lotus flywheel to the proper distance, this hub also holds the pilot bearing for input shaft. The spacer is less than the thickness as the engine adaptor since the chevy and lotus flywheel to crank measure differently.. Alot of measuring and time to get this right. I have alot of experience with chevrolet and experienced employees with fabrication,welding and machining in my own shop.

The citroen box should be ok as long as I dont beat on it. The reason I ended up using the citroen was that I already had it, It made alignment for the engine easy,  I didnt have to mess with the brakes and was the cheap way to go for now. I dont expect it not to hold up, im pretty confident it will be fine. If for some reason it doesnt, ill try another one with the LSD and cryogenic treatment. And if it still doesnt,then ill try a porsche box and move the brakes.

The engine will have the torque chocked down by the cam I will be using, It will probably dyno at 230lbs torque and 300 horsepower, with the ability to rev 7500 easily.

• Gold FFM

Look forward to seeing it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

This is before I modified frame for strength and a little more room for a/c up front. Also before I welded up the engine mounts.

The engine and heads in pic are just for the mock up. Also Im using 283 chevy internals to keep the cubic inches down.

post-17021-0-51013200-1427064698.jpg

• Gold FFM

I always find it amazing as to how much time we will take making something look great and the only people that know it is there are the builders. The photos will be the history of it all.

The engine in pics is just for mock up. An aluminum block and heads weighing 325 pounds will be used. Ive seen other v8s and v6s using the citroen box that seem to be doing fine. And if it ever becomes an issue, then maybe Ill try a different trans. For now this is the cheap way to see how user friendly the car will be with the v8. But im sure it will be great! 

• Gold FFM

Cant imagine the gearbox lasting myself

I'm iffy on the box as well, but if Eddie has seen others with the Citroen box still on them, well you never know.

• Gold FFM

Very nice, the best of luck to you! I wouldn't want to replace the belts in a hurry though.

Can I ask a favour? Clean the vaseline off the camera lens please? The pictures are too interesting to be taken with a potato.

Signature not working...

Isn't there a version of the engine that has  smooth front? I believe it was used in a transverse application so all the usual protrusions (w/p, alternator etc) were relocated behind the cam chain.

DanR

Ive been using my phone for pics( and its an old phone, I dont do i phone), Im going to take good ones with a camera. The belts are actually easily changed from underneath or on top. There is alot of room and no clutter the way I have it set up.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ive been using my phone for pics( and its an old phone, I dont do i phone), Im going to take good ones with a camera. The belts are actually easily changed from underneath or on top. There is alot of room and no clutter the way I have it set up.

Cheers Eddie, looking forward too them :)

Signature not working...

• 2 months later...

Got around to getting everything fit, engine mounts, shift linkage, axles, A/C, altenator,etc. Going to fit the exhaust then I can take it apart again and start powdercoating, painting and plating parts for final assembly.

A few pics of it together with the burnt body on just to make sure body will fit with the frame mods that were made.

I have a bunch of other pics of frame mods and fitment with body off,but forum wouldnt let me post them due to size.

post-17021-0-83325200-1434074728.jpg

post-17021-0-12939600-1434074761.jpg

post-17021-0-02442800-1434074781.jpg

post-17021-0-71945900-1434074795.jpg

post-17021-0-77791200-1434074812.jpg

post-17021-0-20511300-1434074831.jpg

post-17021-0-50453400-1434074852.jpg

post-17021-0-34757100-1434074870.jpg

post-17021-0-10863500-1434074892.jpg

post-17021-0-32574600-1434074915.jpg

• Gold FFM

I reckon this is going to be pretty cool.  :clap: 

It will sound awesome, and last forever with low/easy maintenance, too. Considering the Lotus 4-pot is only, well, a 4-pot, it's a huge engine by comparison with the rather more compact Chevy and I must confess to being slightly envious. I would be nervous about the gearbox however, but time will tell.

Margate Exotics.