Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS Elite Project [Double Trouble] - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS Elite Project [Double Trouble]

Im not sure if the shoulder is the problem. The shoulder in my Eclat (which was made of plastic) broke. The gear lever then just 'flopped' about and it was very difficult to find a gear, and then you didn't know which gear you were in. Replacing the shoulder (which was a Ford part) cured the problem. Your video seems to show the gear lever at least getting the gears. Its possible that the broken bits of the shoulder are still inside and fouling the gear operation.

Isn't it funny how looking at somthing can spark a long distant memory.  Looking at the first picture the needle on the radio is at 1500m Longwave.  That't the frequency that BBC radio 2 transmitted on in the.....70s!!

Think your car is trying to tell you something Al. :)

Roland

One saddle on order but I'm planning on putting the original box back in next week. As it's a known quantity. Unless of course I get a dream result. I'll be out later trying the reversing switch to see if that's the problem. 

The car was originally registered in Hull and the top selling single of 1976 was Brotherhood of Man - 'Save all your kisses for me'. If I ever get this thing sorted I'll be doing a video heading South over the humber bridge.

No offence to anyone from Hull ... I'm not from that far away myself 😉

Al.

21 hours ago, williamtherebel said:

Im not sure if the shoulder is the problem. The shoulder in my Eclat (which was made of plastic) broke. The gear lever then just 'flopped' about and it was very difficult to find a gear, and then you didn't know which gear you were in. Replacing the shoulder (which was a Ford part) cured the problem. Your video seems to show the gear lever at least getting the gears. Its possible that the broken bits of the shoulder are still inside and fouling the gear operation.

Thx William. Broken bits. Another good reason to get the original box back in. I'll try fix this issue though. If nothing else I'd like to be able to move the car closer to the garage. Al

• Like 1

Hi Rob, 

No joy with finding reverse gear with the reverse switch wound out. So it looks like the original box can go back in. The good news is that I've managed to get under the car and adjust the handbrake cable (!!?) one 1/4 turn at a time though! It was an advisory on the last MOT but now comes on at the 4th click and won't go past the 5th. Does that sound OK? What does everyone else have?

I'm on with the electrics and so far so good. Just the following now working / properly. 

Indicators.

Weren't flashing. So I've put the relay next to the radiator overnight and one side now works. Do you think the other side will come back to life? There's no number on the relay though ... if I have to get a new one does anyone know the part number?

Horn, cooling fan & under bonnet light (probably all inter related)

There are three loose bullet type connector blocks in the engine bay. So I have one two many. Or I'm missing one!

By process of elimination and taking the easiest first. Could anyone confirm that the Brown / Purple under the bonnet connects to the  Black / Blue that comes from the cluster of wire under the two relays on the drivers side inner wing?

In the photo it's the two connector blocks on the right.

It looks possible from the wiring diagram but looking at the wires ... who knows what's purple or blue?

NP - Brown / Purple 

BU - Black / Blue 

Any help much appreciated. 

Best, Al

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

I'll have a check with my handbrake when I'm in the car in the next couple of days. When it's at four clicks are the wheels locking so you can't rotate them?

That handbrake tensioner system is a massive pain!

EDIT: Just checked and at 4 clicks my handbrake is just starting to tighten. If I really crank it I can get to 7 clicks. Saying that, mine does need tightening. It's just I'm not looking forward to doing it. Maybe this weekend's job :(

Edited by soldave

Ace. Thanks. That's one job to tick off the list (I hope). It was up on axle stands but thinking about it I only checked one wheel was locking ... so maybe it's not time to celebrate quite yet. The adjuster was a pig to get to but someone else has been up in there as there are new break fittings / pipes. So it could have been much worse. Next job for me is a new timing belt and I think I'm going to g for the 'cut half the old one off' option. It seams fool proof??

Alistair,

Remember to slacken off the tensioner, makes the job very easy and you keep the existing timing.  I used fairy liquid to lube the inside of the new belt just helps to slide it on to the toothed cogs.

Let us know how it goes,

Best regards to all

John

Thanks John, 

No joy today ... I need to get myself a puller tool. As the pulley decided to stay put. If I have the automatic adjuster is it possible just to lever it across to get the belt on? My plan is to put the crank pulley bolt back in so I can rotate the engine and only cut the existing belt through in stages ... where it's most accessible. Oil now changed and a new filter on though and tomorrow I'm re-glueing the sound proofing (?) around the air box before getting the carb trumpets back on. 

Still waiting for the new gearbox saddle. Maybe it will arrive tomorrow too. 

Al.

On 05/01/2020 at 17:04, Trunnion 74 said:

Isn't it funny how looking at somthing can spark a long distant memory.  Looking at the first picture the needle on the radio is at 1500m Longwave.  That't the frequency that BBC radio 2 transmitted on in the.....70s!!

Think your car is trying to tell you something Al. :)

Roland

Wasn't that The Light Programme? Long wave used to be good for listening to the cricket at home and overseas before all this digital stuff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjwooll said:

Wasn't that The Light Programme?

Yep - marked on the front tuning panel of my grandfather's old valve radio as "BBC Light" - just on the 1500m mark!  The radio still works!

Pete

• Like 1

Next up in our hits from 76? Down the rest or your pint, spritz that wet look perm, light another fag ... and head back over the Humber. It's 'Thin Lizzy and The Boys Are Back in Town'! Probably more on brand for the Elite than the Brotherhood of Man ... unless you take the interior into account. Just pottering today but glued the sound deadening back on the air box and got that back on with the trumpets. I've got the original duct but it's fried. Is there a new alternative (I've got the trumpet and the lining)? Looks a bit, well a little bit, more respectable.

IMG_1597.JPG

Edited by alastair_james_cox

Cool to see the Dell ortos still with the anti tamper fitted

Your light relay on the right hand side can be slipped back on to its mount.

The pre-heating of the manifolds re fitted.

one of the jubilee clips removed from the thermostat.

re-route choke cable.

Is the engine running, looks like alternator is spinning ?

N.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

Choke cable sorted. Both relays are fried but I'll post a pic later. They looked fine from above. The thermostat housing needs a new gasket so that's on the list and I'll look into the pre-heating later too. The engine's running really well. It had a compression test before going in so should be fine. Still .. good to have it running and now I've got the air box on it's less offensive to the neighbours to keep it running. Could anyone let me know what temperature on the dial the cooling fan should come on at?

Best, Al.  

• Like 1

Thanks Clive, William, 

I'm going to drop the cooling fan down the list of jobs until the the gearbox is sorted. The new saddle is in but it's still not selecting and the clutch release bearing is complaining too. So that's that. I had a good clean out around the selector too ... it's just a guess but maybe the saddle was damaged as the car would't go into gear (repeatedly / not by me). Either way the original box and clutch is a safer option. 

The list of sundries is growing but the front windscreen washers are now working again. They look like two pieces of squashed brake pipe poking out of the front grill. As they are original I presume they are 😉

Best, Al 

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Thx Pete. There's no sign of a rear washer though, although there is a switch on the dash. It's a very dumb question I know ... but have I missed something? Please could someone confirm the cable that runs through the drivers side roofline is the arial too? Does this exit or screw into an antenna somewhere (it's been cut short)?

On the good news front ... both the boot light and glove box lights are working (the inside ones are seized). Incredible really. 

Best, Al. 

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

Please could someone confirm which wiring diagram I should be following for an Elite 503 with air conditioning?

In my workshop manual there are the following:

A. Late series 1 - M50 RHD Air Conditioning 

Or..

B. RHD Non Federal (Air Conditioning) 

I've also found the blanked off hole for the rear washer / squirter but no sign of a pump. Does anyone have a photo of where that lives?

New exhaust rubber hangers went on today and some faffing with the rear wiper motor. That needs to come out to have the parking reversed. Kind of non essential but now I know ... it's going to bug me.

I'm assuming B for the wiring diagram?

Best, Al

IMG_1637 (1).JPG

IMG_1638 (1).JPG

3 hours ago, alastair_james_cox said:

no sign of a pump. Does anyone have a photo of where that lives?

On my 502 lives above the fuel pump, slides on to a support screwed into the body. Don't think I have a photo unfortunately.

Thanks Clive, 

While in the boot I've had a crack at switching the parking position of the wiper motor back to the correct position. At the moment it parks to the left and sits between the screen and the bodywork. It all functions OK but you have to lift the wiper arm up every time you need to get in the boot. The following photos show the inside of the wiper box, the main gear showing 170 DEG and the underside showing the cam and switch (a small plastic nipple at the base of the main gear housing). Reading up ... the way to reverse the parking position is to lift the metal plate from the top of the main gear and rotate this 180 DEG. But as you'll see on mine the two are fixed with brass rivets. Does anyone have any ideas what to do? Could my motor be running in reverse? 

Best, Al

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

I've also been trying to do some weeding on the wires and now have everything inside the centre console accounted for. Except one rogue green wire. This exits the right hand side of the loom as you look at the front of the car and is in the same set of wires as the heater for the rear screen and the hazards. From what I can see there are no free tabs available. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it belong behind the dash instead?

Best, Al 

IMG_1653.JPG