Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Front Splitter - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Front Splitter

Some of you may know the front splitter design originally presented by a chap on Lotustalk. Well, it wasn't particularly suitable for high speeds baut is did finally inspire me to make my own design.

Instead of the single large piece I chose a two-part design that fits on both sides of the license plates. Made of 8 mm lexan and thoroughly mounted with additional rivnuts at the leading edge. I've meanwhile done about 100 Km of high speed testing (>270 Kph) without issue, in fact the car does feel even more planted on the road.

The splitter should also better protect the front license plate (it does look rather beat up in the photo).

For those interested I made 5 sets and still have a few left over vor sale (€ 260 incl. shipping within Europe).

post-12365-0-71035000-1417188028.jpg

post-12365-0-94029500-1417188039.jpg

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

As I said, about 100 Km above 270 Kph, so high speed  is OK. I have about 1000 Km with the splitter in all, definitely no aero problems of any kind. UV is no issue with the chosen material, it was recommended for automotive parts. 

And it really looks the part,  aggressive but subtle.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

• 8 months later...

By popular request I'm starting a Group Buy for this splitter.

• Minimum Order for group buy: 5 sets
  •  
  • Price per set: € 260 incl. shipping within Europe
  •  
  • Payment by Paypal after confirmation of group buy.
  •  
  • Delivery Time: approx. 3 weeks from order

Just add your names to the list. I'll confirm via PM once we have the minimum number together.

post-12365-0-71035000-1417188028.jpg

post-12365-0-94029500-1417188039.jpg

Note: these pictures are from my former Evora S. Obviously it won't fit my new Evora GTE.

Thomas - I am correct to assume we could paint these / wrap in carbon effect vinyl before fitting with no issues?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yes, they are made of polycarbonate. Wrapping shouldn't be an issue

Thomas - I am correct to assume we could paint these / wrap in carbon effect vinyl before fitting with no issues?

Andy,

I have mine sitting in the garage unfitted as yet if you wish to feel/see the quality as such.  Will be on the car at the start of Sept.  Circumstance & laziness (& maybe a touch of your DIY skills) only reason for having taken 9 months to get round to fitting!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Nice, just sent you a PM Al, maybe we can meet up next week.....

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Very interested to be included for a set of these, are you including all the fixings, how many on each side, is it pre drilled ? and are they finished in gloss or satin black as it's hard to tell.

looking at the first picture they drop lower towards the outer edge, is this just the line the bumper takes?

Thx

Includes fixings and is predrilled.Gloss black. 

Yes, they follow the bumper line.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

I have a concern over this....

It looks to me as this would help generate lift, rather than add downforce?

If you look at the Evora front bumper, it has a slope upwards from rear to front (to aid ground clearance).

The Splitter exagerates this sloped area, thus adding more surface area to create lift?

The splitter should be horizontal or even angled downwards.

Thoughts?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

A splitters job isn't to act like an aerodynamic wing, it's to deflect air which was destined for under the car from the lower part of the front bumper down the sides instead. Less air under the car means lower pressure, means more downforce.

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Could a wedge shaped fillet be used to create the downforce, it's useless if what you say is true and I do see what your saying about the angle under the existing lip

As I have the gte wing on the back I am needing the front down a bit as at high speed the steering seems to lighten off now.

Considering Thomas (TBD) has probably done more high speed miles than the rest of us put together and if you read his first post on the subject don't seem to affect the car, I was happy to go ahead and fit it.  Other U-Tube clips of his cars at 175mph or whatever don't have him wandering about at all. Planted looks to be more like it!

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Although in theory I agree, I don't think this "lip" can make any significant difference in terms of aero

This would be a merely aesthetic mod, as far as I am concerned

My only issue would be with fixing it securely, but I guess Thomas has already tested it thoroughly

Allan, did you say you just installed it? Any picture or thoughts about it?

It has just been installed by Craig Moncrieff for me since I came offshore so I can't say I've driven it.  I'll ask Craig to send me a couple of photos if he can and maybe even on a ramp as he still has the car.  

There is a full set of fitting instructions that come with it and there are additional bolts supplied in addition to the replacement longer ones for the standard holes that hold on the various other bits as tested by Thomas.  I know he made 10 of them and I got the 2nd last one at Xmas time so others are out there, but how many on TLF'ers cars I don't know.  One of the Scandinavian posters has it I know.  I will not be back home until 1st October to be able to post and give impressions.

I am largely fitting for aesthetics for sure but also to protect the underside of the front valance from scrapes and gouges as had a couple of nasty ones as I live in speed hump central and no way to the house to avoid them.  As this is self coloured black all the way through it will not show up gouges as white plastic on a red back ground as present.  Well in fact mainly a black background as I have the SR look, but you get my drift.

I fancy one of Thomas's front splitters but may also get it wrapped ardent red - going for the reverse lf1 look on my red evora with SR look.... :)

If I don't like it easy to revert ;)

The small print.