Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 84 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

• Gold FFM

Ah, at 104/104 you have to reduce your mileage by dividing 1.025 into it.  So 2.4 miles to go.  Do I have to explain everything?

• Haha 2

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
19 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Ah, at 104/104 you have to reduce your mileage by dividing 1.025 into it.  So 2.4 miles to go.  Do I have to explain everything?

No, because I already know everything.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I thought only wives knew everything.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I believe there were comparable test done many years ago , not sure of figures . However I found improvements when setting up with 104/104 over 100/110..   You need to remember 100/110 was done for emission reasons for the USA market . To save on costs Lotus did a one fits all policy , this mean't the Esprit was built to meet the tightest  emission laws it would encounter in the markets sold in.    

We did some back to back on an S4, which after fitting verniers with 104/104  cam timing and Alunox exhaust manifold , managed to achieve 300 bhp using oem ECU set up and 1 bar boost  and not much else . 

As Ian said , any cam timing is only an approximation based on where the closest dot alignment at TDC can be achieved .. The moment an engine no longer has the original factory head gasket format , the cam timing goes out .. only slight but not perfect .. The only other way to keep this spot on is to measure your original gasket , get the crushed dimension of your new gasket , and then skim the head for the different thicknesses ..... Assuming the new gasket is thicker, and the timing was cock on before.     When you consider the allowance on the original head skim and gasket replacement was 0.018'', it does not take much working out to realise , with what is available in gaskets , and how many times a head has been skimmed , chances are cam timing will change .. 

When i do a customers engine, i always do a cam timing check before disassembly , In most cases the cam timing is not to spec.. This gives me some idea on machining history before i start ,    I always recommend 104 /104  and verniers on rebuild , as a result  those all get spot on cam timing . They all seem to run smoother , i expect this is to do with timing accuracy and the 104 set up ..  

On emissions , i have not had any issues with 104 set up  on MOT's in the UK ..   

Great job @Chillidoggy , well thought out and executed with precision .,. :coffee:    :thumbup:

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

Our affiliation qualification criteria are most demanding.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

A monkey should cover it.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Lovely cambelt, shame if it got a nick in it...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Up to 800 miles now. Engine still sounds very nice at idle, and behaves itself at all other times. It’s used no oil whatsoever, and mercifully no leaks from engine, gearbox, or driveshafts. I reckon another 200 miles and I’ll do the oil/filter change.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

Now 1,059 miles, that's all the running-in. Oil and filter change today, and we're away. Thorough inspection and I can't find  any leaks from engine, gearbox or driveshafts. The engine is still very nice, smooth, with an addictive power delivery.

TWAT noise is taking some getting used to, might have to buy a baseball cap, a shell-suit, trainers and some fake gold chains to hang round my neck, innit bro.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Have you managed to sort the annoying whine from the passenger side?

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I'll give that a go, cheers.  I've thrown a fortune at it; still it persists.

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading the entire thread, while trying to wind up my Esprit, that's been sitting unfinished for quite a while after a tank and header replacement. I'm very close, but waiting and trying different parts to get from the fuel pressure regulator back to the pump with braided line. With any luck I'll get it together this week when more parts arrive.

This thread had been a great source of info and inspiration, and your Esprit is beautiful Ian. Fantastic job.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xmission said:

I just finished reading the entire thread, while trying to wind up my Esprit, that's been sitting unfinished for quite a while after a tank and header replacement. I'm very close, but waiting and trying different parts to get from the fuel pressure regulator back to the pump with braided line. With any luck I'll get it together this week when more parts arrive.

This thread had been a great source of info and inspiration, and your Esprit is beautiful Ian. Fantastic job.

Thank you for saying so.

I started out as a complete novice when it came to Esprit's. I had in no way realised what kind of a journey it was going to be and now it would be easier to list what I haven't done, rather than what I have. It's fair to say that I will never recoup the outlay, either. Still, I started this thread so that others may benefit from my experiences, good and bad, and if it's helped, then that's great news. Being a pedantic old sod, the work is never finished, but now it's regular maintenance than major projects.

So far, I am very pleased with the engine and gearbox rebuilds. It's now covered 1,300 miles since then. No oil leaks (hallelujah), zero oil consumption, and the engine pulls very well as @slaywill no doubt agree after our little jaunt the other day. If there's any other work of interest I will be posting on here.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this car in the flesh today and it's absolutely lovely, nice to meet you Ian. I took your advice too, went home, got the elise out the garage and went for a good drive!

I'll be working my way through this thread, although I should really be getting on with changing my wishbone bushes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tobyg said:

I saw this car in the flesh today and it's absolutely lovely, nice to meet you Ian. I took your advice too, went home, got the elise out the garage and went for a good drive!

I'll be working my way through this thread, although I should really be getting on with changing my wishbone bushes!

Good to meet you too Toby, and thanks for the kind comments about my Esprit.

Not often I get to meet other Lotus owners around here, hopefully we can meet up again at some point in the future. Glad you had a good drive!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 5 months later...