Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 15 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

On 31 January 2016 at 23:05, top-plumber said:

I did my oil cooler unions with an adjustable spanner. Did it with the wrench vertical and a tommy bar through the end hole. 

If the thread you cut off is stuck in the union nut I heard someone put the union in sprits of salts and dissolve the aluminium. Doesn't touch the steel.

Thanks Wayne.

Just by looking at mine, I have a feeling that there's not likely to be any movement using an adjustable, or a spanner, apart from a graunching noise that heralds the breakage of aluminium oil cooler! I will be posting some photos later if I get time off from decorating.

The trick with a caustic soda solution works well, I had cause to use that on the air-con pipes at the compressor. It was only afterwards I realised I should have worn eye protection and been in a well-ventilated space. 

Margate Exotics.

I did some over strong solution, and went to hospital, so BE CAREFUL! It WILL eat any living tissue for up to 72 hours.

Better use lower solution and change it a few times. Wearing a mask with two active filters surely is a good idea. I do that from now on.

My oil coolers broke, no way I could get the steel fittings off. Other than that, a real easy job.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Sorry chaps...posted some completely irrelevant stuff here; one should read what's going on and not just post from the last few replies...(!)

Edited by molemot
Being a tw*t. No change there, then...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a hiatus, I've been quite unwell for a while, and have only now managed to get out in the garage.

Anyway, some progress, as the oil coolers are now removed.

I gave up on the spanner method in favour of the air hacksaw, which, as well as doing the job, was quite satisfying. The pipe ends will have to be given the caustic soda treatment to remove the old alloy from the coolers, and the rad-pack bolts are now exposed to further attack by angle grinder. I'm not fannying around any longer.

I did unbolt the Powermaster brake pump, but it didn't need to be moved for the removal, however it will need moving to access the oil cooler pipes when I replace them.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

As expected all bar about 2 bolts were rusted solid, so the angle grinder came in handy. I'd been fretting about how I was going to lift the pack out, but came up with a solution involving lowering the car down on the scissor lift until the GRP 'shoe' of the rad pack touched the workmate. Ground the bolts off, and raised the car up on the lift. I then just had to undo the condenser hoses, and slid the whole lot out.

2016-02-21%2011.08.14_zpssrjtgjqd.jpg

The mounting bolts for the various coolers were also rusted solid, most simply sheared off, one or two came free however.

2016-02-21%2011.58.36_zpslpfkljgw.jpg

And having removed the radiator, the reason for the air-con not working became immediately apparent. This is between them -

2016-02-21%2012.21.05_zpsvssu0iq0.jpg

Between the condenser and charge cooler radiator at the front -

2016-02-21%2014.43.12_zpsafpgj7yq.jpg

2016-02-21%2014.43.14_zpszm3v1bmj.jpg

So I now need to source a new charge cooler radiator, and condensers. I'm wondering why Lotus fannied around with all that pipework, more sources of leaks than a government department, and also wondering if a single condenser might not be a better idea. As for the charge cooler rad, that looks like an air-con part, and as they are obsolete, I think I may have to have something bespoke.

As for the coolant radiator, I think I shall see if I can get that rebuilt somewhere.

Margate Exotics.

I went through this a few years back with a previous S4s and opted to go with the single condenser after quite a bit of research. I was quite pleased with the resulting appearance and performance.

There is more info here if interested:

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=22389

IMG_1838.JPG.40fb0d72df0cac58e5ff07c4e76

IMG_1839.JPG.1cb5da5c9736b887287e84b7336

1995 S4s

On 20 February 2016 at 03:57, ian29gte said:

Bit of a hiatus, I've been quite unwell for a while, and have only now managed to get out in the garage.

Would that possibly be a nagging chest infection that, given a few lungfulls of cold winter air, has you retching on all fours like a choking dog?

Sounds familiar, I'm about a month behind schedule because of that. Glad you are back in action, let the entertainment begin!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

How perceptive of you.

Symptoms also include general feeling of listlessness, light-headed to the point of fainting, chest on fire, and loss of appetite. Course of anti-biotics stopped the thick phlegm production, but the rest remains, albeit somewhat diminished. Coughing and chest gradually getting better. Really knocked me back, this one. As for being back in action, that's true, if a little slow at the moment.

I've been in touch with a company about the custom manufacture of a charge air radiator, and some pipework. At this point, looking at the very messy condenser pipe arrangement, I'm still thinking of a single unit to replace the two, if I can get the connecting pipework made. As for how the original rad pack is all held together it's surprising. The charge cooler radiator is held onto the brackets by two 3mm mild steel rivets, that's all. How it's managed to stay there for 20 years is beyond me, but there you go. I know need to drill out all the sheared bolts, clean it up and take it as a pattern.

Margate Exotics.

Having inspected the coolant radiator, the core is actually pretty good. I wish I could say the same for the surrounding frame however, it's badly rusted on the lower frame in particular.

image_zpsohu5ul9v.jpeg

image_zpsf9xz1o8o.jpeg

After searching around the web for replacement U-channel, I gave up, and called Roy at Serck. He's been very helpful, and said when they get anything like the channel in to do, they bend it up out of sheet. As my sheet metal bender isn't long enough to do 1100mm, I shall take it there for a refurb, and get the core done at the same time. For anyone interested, the frame is partially riveted, but brazed in places, too. And there's the usual captive nuts and sheared-off bolts.............

I don't know who designed the rad-pack and it's fixings but I suspect it must have been the catering apprentices again.

Regarding new fans, I'm going with 11" Spal units. Hopefully they'll fit in the original shroud, if not, I'm going to make a frame or some brackets. Not sure which Spal fans to go for though, there appears to be shedloads of the things specified on their website. But they will need to be within the current rating of the fuse, though.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now waiting for the radiator to be rebuilt, condensers to be delivered, and charge-cooler radiator to be manufactured. So I'm cleaning up, and preparing the rusty old bits I removed, although I'm short of time at present.

Meanwhile, I  took the plunge and ordered the 323mm 6-pot front brake conversion from PNM, which should arrive in a few week's time. After a discussion with Pete, I'm going with plain discs and Greenstuff pads, and I'll see how I get on with them for road use.

Pete told me he should soon have a pre-production electric handbrake caliper set to try, and I'm very keen on those. If they prove to be good, then I'm definitely up for a set, along with the PNM 4-pot rear conversion along with it.

Margate Exotics.

Most interesting brake setup, Ian. I am currently on the move for some nice brake parts myself. Will report back as it happens.

The Serck rads sound good. My two front rads are build as one unit, not seperated like yours.

Regarding the "I don't know who designed the rad-pack and it's fixings but I suspect it must have been the catering apprentices again.", it appears to be the same guy was redirected from the design department, to the advertising department of Lotus these days. Certainly nothing or nothing good happens.

Will be interesting how your cooling package comes up, when finished. I am wondering if by using 11" Spals, there's any room left for suspending them in rubbermounts?

Caughing and snorting myself these days. The thing is, that I always think: well, now I finally have a chance to read some books. But in reality I can't as my eyes are running streams, and I seem to be spending most time wandering forth and back between the sofa and the bathroom to blow my nose, ha ha ;)

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Jacques, sounds like you've got what I had! I'm still coughing, but getting gradually better.

I'm not sure, but I think the S4s and GT3 used the separate charge-cooler radiator and condenser arrangement when Lotus changed it with the introduction of the R134a air-con gas. I know R134a runs at a slightly higher pressure, and I think it's not as efficient thus needs a larger condenser than the earlier gas. This to be proved, I' not an expert in such matters.

I think I've ordered 11" Spals, I'll find out when I pick the rad up from Serck. They're going to fit the fans to the frame during the rebuild for me. Whilst I was there, when we offered up the 11" and 10" fans, three 10" fans fitted up to the core three-abreast inside the frame, but three 11" fans were too big to fit in, and will thus be mounted back slightly. There was quite a difference in the blade area, enough to convince me 11" was the way to go, although I suspect 10" fans would also be OK as the original Fiesta fans also do the job. I don't know about rubber mounting them yet, I'll look at that later.

Brakes? I'll report back later, but it'll be a while before I even get them.

Margate Exotics.

Hmmm.

I know very little about Esprit brakes at the moment, so when I spoke to Pete at PNM (who knows far more about brakes than I do), and told him what kind of driving I do, he told me they'll be fine for me with his 6-pot, 323mm front brake conversion kit that I've ordered, and if they're not, then it's easy enough to change them.

Question: Were you guys using them with the PNM 6-pot kit, too? Or with the standard Lotus brakes?

Margate Exotics.

On 2016-03-04 at 01:28, Bibs said:

Instead of the green stuff pads, I can supply you with a couple of blocks of damp oak, they'll be more effective. Worst brake pads ever.

Or, for that matter, iPhones.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

We did discuss all the alternatives at the time, and like I said, they were the pads Pete recommended for an old fart like me. Just consider this as a public service by yours truly on behalf of TLF. I'll be back with a full report on Greenstuff pads in the future, always assuming I don't hit the first tree I come across.

Margate Exotics.

On 7 March 2016 at 21:48, Buddsy said:

I fitted 3x 11" fans on my older Turbo. They fitted perfect in my shroud thing.

I also been using the green stuff pads and despite what Bibs says I quite like them. They seem pretty good to me.

Buddsy

Are the shroud fan apertures larger on earlier Esprit models Buddsy? Or did you remove the Spal outer casings to fit them in? I couldn't see any way the complete 11" versions would fit inside the original shroud when I offered them up.

Margate Exotics.