Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 22 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

I simply opened the drain hole up to a larger size ( its only fibreglass and ply from memory) and re sealed the cut edges.  Less likely to block.

• Gold FFM

Mine was full of 3" of sycamore seeds and dead mice - so I don't think that would have helped me

Only here once

• Gold FFM

You'd think they'd have been able to use the sycamore seeds to build some kind of ladder system to escape.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Fair play re the sycamore  seeds etc but a 30mm hole has to give you a better chance than a 10mm one ( from memory ) and the mouse could have got out of that easily.  Only to be trapped between the grill and radiator!!!   

• Like 1

Further piece of information for anyone changing oil coolers:- After draining the engine sump, fitting a new oil filter, oil coolers, transfer pipe and draining the oil cooler lines, I had to put 8 litres of oil in to bring the level to maximum Mark on the dipstick. Effectively filling a 'dry' system.

The service notes say 6.8 litres with new oil filter, so there's 1.2 litres in the oil cooler system.

Margate Exotics.

I estimated about a litre during previous oil changes, and it didn't feel right leaving that much old crap in there. Did you investigate some kind of drain plug/tap in the system at the front end?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

No, but it's possible to disconnect the bottom hose to each oil cooler to drain the transfer pipe, the lines from the sandwich plate, and the coolers themselves.

Personally, I won't be doing it because of the delicate alloy threads on the coolers and the subsequent wallet-emptying potential if the cooler threads are buggered. Instead, I'll be using Mobil1 10W/60 synthetic, with regular oil and filter changes.

Margate Exotics.

Having just been to MBW and back, a round trip of some 230 miles and with high ambients,  I am pleased to say that despite not having a shroud around the cooling fans, there was no sign of overheating whatsoever, and the air con works a treat.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

At least you still have your self respect.

Ah...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Ummm three kids !!

dignity, money, aspiration and hair all long gone

dont mention the esprit

Only here once

• Gold FFM

He's more of a goat man.

3 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Having just been to MBW and back, a round trip of some 230 miles and with high ambients,  I am pleased to say that despite not having a shroud around the cooling fans, there was no sign of overheating whatsoever, and the air con works a treat.

Great to finally meet you Ian! Thank for showing me around your car, it is very interesting to see a LRG S4s which is effectively my car with a four pot (loved the colour by the way B-) )

I had another play with my air con when I got home, it does everything it should apart from cool (!) so I reckon I will try getting it recharged first and ask them to see if there are any leaks.

So pleased that you made it after all of your hard work sir!

Next year I definitely want to meet up with @Barrykearley and @Alex Carter, we should try and get all the V8s lined up together...

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

13 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Yup, there is definitely a knack with the binnacle. After all of the faffing around I did with upgrading the dash bulbs to LEDs - had the thing off and on about five times before it was right - practice makes perfect. I had mine off and on again in twenty minutes yesterday to replace a failed LED (I thought that they were supposed to last forever, duh). I now consider that the easy bit, hanging upside down in the footwell with zero room to move your arms to get to that bloody bolt is now officially my least favourite Esprit job. Having said that and before Barry kicks off about his wonderful Binnacle Lite, I have found that the contortions required have made me so much more supple and improved my sex life no end...

Yeah well, real men have boost gauges.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

No, REAL men don't feel the need to measure it.