Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My dashcam solution - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

My dashcam solution

Wanted an oem looking dashcam solution without ciglighter plugs etc.

Here's mine:

ordered Peugeot interior light, part 636292.  (alternatively you can get the exact same one from Lotus for 4 times the price)

lrg636292.jpg

dismantle:

cam2.jpg

Got one 1/4 UNC bolt so different camera's can be mounted.

cam3.jpg

Electronics laid out:

cam4.jpg

Soldering, making sure this is 100% reliable and safe:

cam5.jpg

In the car, some crappy pictures:

cam6.jpg

cam1.jpg

I'm using in this particular case a Mobius Action cam because it is so small.  I can also mount up the GoPro.

Switch is there for constant recording, so when I leave the car I can choose to continue recording of the car's battery.  Whenever recording is active and I open the door, there is a acoustic signal from the built-in zoomer to remind me that the camera is still active.  This way I won't forget (hopefully).

I'm reusing all oem connectors, with focus on interchangeability with the OEM interior light and safety in mind.

Will make better pictures and some video footage when the weather clears up, but checked video and it's 200% spot on.

Very satisfied!  :thumbsup:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That looks a great solution well done. I was going to get an interior light for mine and had no idea it was a Peugeot so that's helpful too.

Trevor.

The lady at the old Peugeot garage looked a bit strange when I said I needed an interior light for a Peugeot 205 GTI phase I. (that was before I knew the Peugeot part number)

She says: "oh, you still have a 205 GTI",

"No, a Lotus" :harhar:

12 euro

You're a genius sunshine, that's great. Now have to decide whether to do this or stick with the windscreen mount/wired in to the loom down the A pillar route I've used in other cars.

Edited by Ian Lockwood

• 2 weeks later...

Hi first off, awesome idea and sure beats having the power cord run across the dashboard. Can I ask what's the electronic u have inserted into the original light housing. Been looking at it a while and still can't figure it out. I ordered a mobius dash cam after I read your thread. Plan to do the same install once I get both the camera and the car. Thks.

Looks good, is this good enough to power a gopro and is it easy to swap the light back in?

If so can you give more instruction for us mortals.

Edited by TonyKL
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Too much "in car" for my liking and how does it perform in different light conditions? I'd guess that the darker inside of the car will confuse the light levels and mean outside is bleached?

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

11 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Too much "in car" for my liking and how does it perform in different light conditions? I'd guess that the darker inside of the car will confuse the light levels and mean outside is bleached?

Lee, have been driving with the camera for almost a year now and there is no issue with the outside being bleached etc.  Maybe it has to do with the WBR auto level in the Mobius.

However, whilst driving, the speedometer is visible...