Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bought an S4S after all these years - Page 4 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Bought an S4S after all these years

paulob1

• 3 weeks later...

okay lambda sensor not reading properly and cat blocked.  all going in this week, she should be running sweet riding sweet and ready for action...final options are maybe suspension and better brakes...we will see on this once I have her running right...

• Gold FFM

Paul

Was drooling at your car when I picked mine up...... Can't believe the creases you've had to iron out of the ol girl

Best of luck with that running.

Only here once

she was a cheap car with many faults.  I will restore her to former glory....after much thought she will not be going for more power, she is as good as she needs to be I think.  I will stick with my FRP's for those silly moments..

forgot to mention that the air con pump has been disconnected so am assuming that is having issues too so likely a new aircon pump.

its a really poorly maintained car...botch after botch...sadly it seems to be the way these cars are taken on by some who just don't have the money or inclination to keep them in tip top condition...

but when i am finished this girl will be as good as she can be...she will then go into my museum...and be driven a few times a year...maybe..

• Gold FFM

No belt on my air on pump either.....

I think the garage he uses to do the cambelts must choose not to replace and just leave them off!!!

Bodgery - it's crazy - almost always more cost effective to do it right first time.....

Only here once

I don't suspect it was mark...I think it was more likely the previous owner,,,.costs maybe too high to repair properly so just disconnected it for now until he could afford to have it done properly...rattle can respray etc etc...

it will be done, just I have a long list and slow progress so far...

• Gold FFM

Fair one - I need to get a belt for mine - I'm sure that will lead on to a list of jobs....

I suppose pressure test to see what's a miss, regas, a belt and find out if the compressors shagged

Got priced £310 today to completely strip and repaint my front bumper and one of the light pods which has a bit of a chip on it....

Didn't think that sounded bad at all and that's with proper undercoat and flexi paint etc

Only here once

sounds good, hopefully Dave my mechanic will have mine sorted this week...we have a Porsche boxter to do some major service work to so need the space in the garage....plus we have three engines to rebuild next week and  GTO clutch to do so the car needs to be out this week..too many cars and not enough time to fix them all...trying to fit it in between doing customer cars is not easy..

mind you we will be pretty hot on esprits by the time we are finished,,full rear end rebuild front end rebuild exhaust and air con rebuild, full service, new interior (not done by us) brakes and finally suspension...

okay last thing will be engine and box rebuild hopefully not yet...

• Gold FFM

And then you can change your car from Mercedes CLS to Esprit S4s. :P

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

sold the CLS....got a subaru boxer diesel forrester for long haul journeys but hate it with a passion, most awful drive of any car i have ever owned...i have a lot of subaru's two imprezzas and four SVX's lovely driving cars..but god I hate the Forrester so thinking of getting it swapped..I need a pickup and a log range car so likely a merc estate and a nissan pickup..

• Gold FFM

So why is CLS in your profile? Just stick the S4s in there and be done with it. :)

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

cant remember what is in my profile I never look at it...I know all I need to know about me...and if I changed every forum profile i am on each time I changed a vehicle I would have no time to anything else..

now its correct...thanks Barry

okay new lambda lotus one fitted, new cat, removed and cleaned all the coils and connectors and now have one very happy lotus, we adjusted the boost a tad on the ecu...dave has made it come in a tad quicker, had me slipping sideways twive now, first time I caught the kerb...so seems she is running very nicely now.

so front rebuild next week...think the front offside has an issue.   with the front rebuilt we will strip and clean the brakes and see if they are okay...if not may have to do a full rebuild....more bits...

so really am thinking the only issues left are front rebuild interior re leather and just maybe the brakes oh and the aircon that the previous person disconnected...that needs sorting...so a bit more to do yet...but at least she is running sweet...and quick...had her up to 140 this week on private road and she was going strong...

Question, my brakes work but I seem to have to press really hard for servo'd brakes anyone experienced this...is it normal...

• 2 weeks later...

okay front end is coming off, found my wobble, most of the bushes knackered, just deciding if i can restore the suspension and steering parts or if they need to be purchased...will cost a lot to buy all the components but some are getting very tired...will shot blast them first and check...then decide on keeping the best parts and change out the worst if needs be for new..

anyone know where to get a front spolier...

Don't have the lower suspension arms shot blasted, they're galvanised :thumbdown:

Cheers,

John W

• 3 weeks later...

bugger just read this, too late they will have been done, and treated so hopefully all okay...if they are galvanised then they should show this yes...cannot see any of my parts looking like they have been galvanised they all look very untidy...all going back together this week...then its onto improvements rather than repairs...

That's an early 80s car, I don't think the spoiler will fit your S4s.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

okay new lambda lotus one fitted, new cat, removed and cleaned all the coils and connectors and now have one very happy lotus, we adjusted the boost a tad on the ecu...dave has made it come in a tad quicker, had me slipping sideways twive now, first time I caught the kerb...

Huh? Can you explain how he did this? AFAIK the only way to adjust when the boost comes on is by programming the ECU. Would like to know more.