Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tailgate drains? - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tailgate drains?

I can't help with the top hats unfortunately as mine are ok, but the offside pipe was split where the bumper got a whack in the accident.

Found this on eBay, the 38mm ID will do the job, £7ish for 2m

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171142284167

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Thanks Alan, I shall check it out.

By way of an update, I have ordered some poly-acetyl material to machine new fittings, but I have a different design in mind. I haven't yet decided whether to incorporate the Marley solvent-weld 45 degree fitting, although it does perform the function of both supporting and diverting the waste pipe nicely out of the way.

The problem I had with the original Marley fitting is that it was glued over the black top-hat's spigot, and I had to destroy the top-hat to remove them from the car, because I had to pull it through the hole in the tailgate.

If Colin Chapman had such a significant hand in the tailgate drain hole sizes as has been suggested, it's a shame he neglected to address the headlamp recesses while he was at it.

Margate Exotics.

I made a prototype fitting to replace the plastic top-hat last night, and I'm reasonably pleased with the result, but it needs a tweak on a couple of dimensions. It's difficult to get the spigot the right height to go up through the hole, because the GRP thickness varies slightly, and it will therefore be a compromise.

I took the decision not to use the Marley 45 degree fittings, as I reckon the only reason they were originally fitted was because there was no way to ensure a good fit with the convoluted pipe on the very thin plastic top-hat.

I'm assured the drain pipe is tight around the battery cover, but as I don't possess such an item, it won't yet be a problem.

Anyone got a spare battery cover lying around?

Margate Exotics.

You changed them from top to bottom. No lip to stop the water draining away, that's good! Unfortunately, I had to destroy mine to get them out of their hole, because the convoluted pipe was glued to them. The pipes were also split, so they were leaking water into the boot.

I hope to have my new ones finished later today, though.

Margate Exotics.

Finished the job this morning. Not bad to do, apart from the usual problem of Sikaflex being magnetically attracted to everything in sight. As expected the GRP thickness was inconsistent, which meant The spigot heights are not perfectly flush, but to be honest a blind man would be pleased to see them. I didn't use the Marley fittings, just ran the new PVC reinforced pipe from the spigot, through the P-clip, and out through the boot floor.

image.jpg1_zpsc7dlayp8.jpg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Having experienced significant leakage at the back, I though I'd avail myself of the pre-production kit (with limited edition Esprit plushie, very nice) from Margate Exotics (a Watford Exotics subsidiary), and placed my order a few days ago.  Unfortunately the courier called while I was out, and put a card through the door advising me that the kit had been left in a rusty Mondeo by the fire station near junction 6, M25.  So, off I trolled this morning.  Had to wrestle the box from a couple of opportunistic vagrants, but safe at home now.

Very nicely packaged, excellent quality kit, and amazingly detailed instructions!  Have had to send the missus down the shops though, as I'm only 25 minutes into the job and we've run out of tea bags.

On the downside, the warranty's a bit crap and the helpline number is nowhere to be found.  For £200 I'd have expected more...

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

To be fair, the extra £160 you got charged was for the 'extra-curricular activities' round the back of the fire station you asked for, and the wife charges by the hour.

How was I to know you were going to take that long?

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I was working through the 'extras' menu.  Still, all's well that ends well, eh?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Just one more cup of tea, then I'll get started.