Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit YKO 48S, probably red, previously YVG 789S. - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit YKO 48S, probably red, previously YVG 789S.

John Lakey

Corgi models are attempting to find the owner of a specific Lotus Esprit S2.

Chassis number: 400G 
Number plate: 
YVG789S
It was originally painted gold. 

However, it is now believed to be painted red and registered YKO 48S.

If you have any information about this car's whereabouts please contact:

Corgi's policy is include the history of the real car on which the model is based on a card in the model's box. 
This car was used by CAR magazine for a feature, and now by Corgi as the basis for a model, so Corgi are keen to find out about its later history and hopefully make contact with the current owner. They have already done some historical research so if it is your car, or you know the person who owns it, please get in touch as the owner will probably be able to learn more about their car's history.

Thanks.

John

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Who ever owns the car now is sitting on a gold mine it being the first S2 and the famous Chapman promotional photo car and probably part of the Chapman garage of 1st car of the production line.

Cheers Mike

Hi John

What makes you think the car has changed colour and wears a different reg. number? I take it you have the HPI report on the car?

Cheers Mike

Hi John,

Since I posted on here about the identity of the first S2 being the Chapman press photo car your not the only person trying to track it down I think you will find Scott Walker is hot on the trail he was going to HPI it months ago. I have a feeling this particular car is long gone or exported as my car S2 (S2 detailed below) ended up going to Germany so does not feature on the DVLA website after I sold it in 1992.

My S2 MPW81V back in the late 80s early 90s had pin hole rust holes in the chassis beam that ran past the exhaust manifold which lead to a full body off rebuild while other S2s and S1s were being broken for spares because of this same problem and costs of repair. 

If this car had had a colour change by then that does not bode well for the condition of the car.

Back in the early 90s I viewed quite a few rough examples before buying my Gold S2 and mine was tidy but it still needed a lot of work.

Good look with the hunt.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mark 

Not highly likely Mark! YVG789S Is the car used in the photos with Colin Chapman, this has to be the car it has a unique interior trim which can be seen when you have high quality copies of the photos of the photo shoot and the same unique interior can be seen on high quality photos of YVG789S of the same very early period. As the boss was known to like to have the first off the production line in his garage for a while this also makes sense why the trim is so different from a production car. I have to now say 400G was YVG789S Sorry Andy but I think people had already worked this out!

Regards Mike

John

If you genuinely are working on the behalf of Corgi send Hazel Chapman a letter she might have some info about the cars early history. Just Maybe?  She is a lovely lady by all accounts.

Cheers Mike

• Gold FFM

MJK via Kimbers?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yes I genuinely work for Corgi - if you google my name you will see it come up against things for various car TV programmes, Racing Legends, The Classic Car Show, For The Love of Cars, Top Gear etc but through working on those programmes I started working with Corgi 10 or more years ago.

I don't have a Lotus sadly - I'm 6ft 4', but my everyday car is an MGB with a Fiat 2.0-litre twincam in it, an SD1 back axle and a Watts-link so I guess I qualify as an enthusiast in my non working life...

Please explain the post above - MJK via Kimbers?. I'm guessing this is Mike Kimberley in some way?

John 

• Like 1

Yes he means Mike Kimberley. Kimbers is I think Mikes son who is a member of this forum.

Cheers Mike

I don't have a Lotus sadly - I'm 6ft 4', but my everyday car is an MGB with a Fiat 2.0-litre twincam in it, an SD1 back axle and a Watts-link so I guess I qualify as an enthusiast in my non working life...

Please explain the post above - MJK via Kimbers?. I'm guessing this is Mike Kimberley in some way?

John

I'm 6 2.

You'd fit in a V8...

;)

I have driven a V8 actually, on road and track - the press car Lotus had at the time, loved it but could not contemplate owning one. I had to be 'inserted', which took some time, and had to drive it in my racing boots because normal shoes were just too wide to delineate the pedals. Seeing as I can hardly walk in my race boots because they squash my toes so much it would not make a pleasant form of actual transport. Wonderful car though, both in looks handling and sheer performance. One of those cars that made me wish I was smaller and thinner! 

I had the chance to drive a Countach LP400 once and physically could not actually even get in it, I was gutted as you can imagine.  

this are the first S2 ever build or not? (this list)

2mxequw.jpg

The 0201J is ronnie peterson his car,

this one i think:

2rzfays.jpg

Hi 

Not sure about the above list however 400G Reg YVG789S is the first S2 according to Lotus and is the car in the photos with Colin Chapman. 

Cheers Mike

this are the first S2 ever build or not? (this list)

2mxequw.jpg

The 0201J is ronnie peterson his car,

this one i think:

2rzfays.jpg

There's a Ronnie Peterson brown S2 stored where I keep my Esprit in Cambridgeshire - was admiring it only last week!

The Ronnie Peterson car is no doubt an early car but not the first S2. Off the top of my head I think the 200 series denotes non domestic specification?

Regards Mike

my car is 0202J and its have his first reg. on: 09-08-1978

so its a very early model, its a LHD belguim car,

I've been trying to decipher that list. May I ask is it an official Lotus document or a member's notes? I presume the list is by no means exhaustive?

Being totally new to identifying Giugiaro Esprits I'm guessing that the 200 #'s are chassis and the designations starting 907 are engine.

But the numbers starting 14- (with Delivered or Collected interspersed in places), and the last numbers: BL _ _ _ FT _ _ _ are a mystery to me. If anyone could explain to a greenhorn I'd appreciate it, I get the feeling I haven't mastered the search engine yet.