Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Flood Clear Mode - Use to Prime Oil? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Flood Clear Mode - Use to Prime Oil?

cammmy

I think the point is, is that if this were necessary then cars would already do it. OK after sitting for months it's a good idea but modern oils will be coating everything for weeks after the last time you turned the engine off, on a daily basis it won't make any if all difference.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

If maintained correctly these engines are good for 200k+ miles without major issues and the designers did have some understanding of the starting procedures they would be subjected to.

Yes, the operator does have an influential input into its longevity, but just starting the thing up using the prescribed method of the manufacturer won't be the defining factor in the length of serviceable life. 

I tend to agree. The oil pump wont be building much pressure at ca 300rpm while cranking. But everything will be turning, and might even lose the oil coating it had. When installing a new cam (Rover V8, but should apply to any engine) it is clearly stated that prolonged starting without actually firing will be detrimental because the cam will lose it's coating before it gets oil at operating pressureL.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

If maintained correctly these engines are good for 200k+ miles without major issues and the designers did have some understanding of the starting procedures they would be subjected to.

Yes, the operator does have an influential input into its longevity, but just starting the thing up using the prescribed method of the manufacturer won't be the defining factor in the length of serviceable life.

I'm loving that 200k ...... Hoping that's true....... Mines just hit 71500!!!

Only here once

I think Bibs touched on the point, daily use will not create a problem, However the nature of the 

car usage as a weekend or occasional user will cause more ware.. 30% of all bearing ware takes

place on cold start up.. On the 900 series we have a large pick up pipe which will allow drain back.

Most of the pressure delay is this refilling, what is left in the system just acts as the seal to create the

suction pull needed..

The most common thing I see during rebuilds is a worn out top # 1 main.. even when the rest are in

reasonable condition.  This is caused by the cam belt pulling the crank tight to that bearing shell when

engine is stationary ..  As a result on start up it is more susceptible to ware.

There is no reason for great concern, as said these engines in std form do many miles without issue

if serviced well and driven with consideration..

cammmy, on 09 Jun 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

Dave, have you got an accusump?

No I have installed an electric pump plumbed into the main oil gallery on the block.. It is activated on

ignition , primes to 2.5 bar within 5 sec then automatically starts the engine..  No pressure No start...

The advantage over accusump is, it does not need recharging when running.. and will continue priming

from the sump until designated pressure is detected..

The reason for this is the extra protection for the main bearings in my engine. This is because they are

considerably tighter than standard which will make them more vulnerable on start up ..

( more details are within the 412 thread )

Yeah, that's why I was asking; my car doesn't get used every day, on weekends at most. I can hear the difference between starting it on the Fri or sat after a week idle and then again on the Sunday. I realise that cranking won't build pressure but I was just hoping it would prime things and reduce the time it would take for the pressure to build. I hadn't thought about the potential for it to wipe of any oil that has remained.

Electric oil pump would be ideal. Accusump is always good in case of oil surge but the Lotus engine seems to have a good baffle setup. The Pug/Cit XU9J4 which I've dealt with a lot has issues in long, high G corners.

Edited by cammmy