Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Larini vs 2bular - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Larini vs 2bular

Just wondered what people's views are on terms of quality. Both seem very well made. They produce a slightly different not but both sound great. The larini is 200 ish cheaper than 2bular. 

Stu

Interestingly an enquiry about the larini system was met with a response saying to get a 2bular as it is better quality. 

I am am struggling to find clips with just the valved back box on a s. If anyone has one that would be great. 

Stu

• Gold FFM

I've got a 2bular back box and decat pipe fitted to the standard manifolds on mine, albeit it's an NA rather than an S but here are a couple of in-car clips I made which will give you some idea of the sound levels. The box on mine was a 'development' prototype which has virtually no sound wadding in it so it is a bit louder than the current production version, which is probably why the poor old microphone on my camera gets a bit overloaded at times even with the windows closed.

I had the Larini club sport on my elise s. Had to remove it as it was too loud and i felt my ears were bleeding everytime i drove it. due to the Elise's small size, you are parctically sitting very close to the exhaust. Add to the lack of proper sound insulation doesnt make things any better.

i was told that Larini did not modify the exhaust when Lotus switched from 2zz engine to 2zr-fe and since the 2zr-fe has different charactiristics/rev levels than the 2zz, the exhaust sound is not at its best and might get annoying on the long run.

2bular apparently make customised exhausts and could be  the best solution, i have contacted them but Jim Valentine seems very busy and is not returning my emails....

That's interesting where you've stuck your video recorder. I've been trying to capture my exhaust which I think sounds great but want others to hear it. I could try and use my phone on a dash mount. I'll try tomorrow and put a post on here.

Well having followed David's (AlfatoEvora) Evora for much of yesterday's cross country blast I can vouch for the sound being a) rich and just right in tone etc.  :thumbsup: and b) loud.  :love icecream:  When following and a fair distance back and with my windows up I could hear his every gear change over my own engine noises.  Pulling away from a couple of T junctions it sounded awesome.  Depending on use I'd think it would be a bit loud for some tastes and may get wearing on longer non pushing on drives.  That is down to you and your use.  Having said that I don't know what my own S with Exhaust Valve open sounds like following it on those roads so perhaps not a fair comment.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Just wondered what people's views are on terms of quality. Both seem very well made. They produce a slightly different not but both sound great. The larini is 200 ish cheaper than 2bular. 

Stu

No way is the 2bular £200 more expensive than Larini.

If you're going to compare - then compare apples with apples please.

Prices:  Larini Evora N/A  ........... 63.5mm system with twin tips -  £900 :00 incl Vat. 

2bular Evora N/A  ........... 63.5mm system with twin tips -  £698 :40 incl Vat.  De-Cat/Link pipe supplied with exhaust.

The Larini is £201 :60 more expensive than the 2bular.

2bular Evora N/A ............ 63.5mm system with valve AND electronic valve controller - £988 :80 incl Vat.

Larini Evora S  63.5mm system with twin tips + valve - £1302 :46 incl Vat.  (Add £119 :94 for electronic valve controller on the N/A cars)!

2bular Evora S 70mm system with twin tips + valve - £1346 :40 incl Vat. De-Cat/Link pipe supplied with exhaust.

Larini don't make a 70mm system for the supercharged V6 motors.

Summary: if you buy the 63.mm Larini Evora system with twin tips + valve + electronic controller the price is £1422 :40 incl Vat.

For the same spec 2bular - 63.mm Evora system with twin tips + valve + electronic controller the price is £988 :80 incl Vat. (incl De-Cat pipe)!

The Larini is £433 :60 more expensive than the 2bular.

I am in the market for a new exhaust for my S, I heard both at the Lotus Festival (the youtube videos really don't do the 2bular justice), the 2bular sounds a lot nicer IMHO and as Jim says its 70mm vs 63.5mm.

A few people I spoke to said the quality on the Larini exhausts can be a bit hit and miss.

I will be going with the 2bular at some point! :)

Edited by j141

No way is the 2bular £200 more expensive than Larini.

If you're going to compare - then compare apples with apples please.

Prices:  Larini Evora N/A  ........... 63.5mm system with twin tips -  £900 :00 incl Vat. 

2bular Evora N/A  ........... 63.5mm system with twin tips -  £698 :40 incl Vat.  De-Cat/Link pipe supplied with exhaust.

The Larini is £201 :60 more expensive than the 2bular.

2bular Evora N/A ............ 63.5mm system with valve AND electronic valve controller - £988 :80 incl Vat.

Larini Evora S  63.5mm system with twin tips + valve - £1302 :46 incl Vat.  (Add £119 :94 for electronic valve controller on the N/A cars)!

2bular Evora S 70mm system with twin tips + valve - £1346 :40 incl Vat. De-Cat/Link pipe supplied with exhaust.

Larini don't make a 70mm system for the supercharged V6 motors.

Summary: if you buy the 63.mm Larini Evora system with twin tips + valve + electronic controller the price is £1422 :40 incl Vat.

For the same spec 2bular - 63.mm Evora system with twin tips + valve + electronic controller the price is £988 :80 incl Vat. (incl De-Cat pipe)!

The Larini is £433 :60 more expensive than the 2bular.

hi, I am not trying to cause offence here! I am just going on the prices stated on the various sites. The 2bular site has the evora s valved back box at £1346.40 including vat with ss dual tip (cheapest option). This does not include the de cat pipe which is £170.40.

The larini evora s valved back box is £1157.26 from the Elise shop with the oval tip (cheapest option) not including de cat pipe which is £149.00.

As you can see almost £200 difference in the back box price with valve.

I am just stating what I can see and happy to be corrected.

stu

Edited by Stuno1

Stu,

In Jim's reply he stated this:

"2bular Evora S 70mm system with twin tips + valve - £1346 :40 incl Vat. De-Cat/Link pipe supplied with exhaust."

The decat pipe IS provided with the exhaust so no need to pay another £170.40 as you quoted.

So based on your figures for Larini above - £1157.26 plus £149 (£178.80 inc VAT) for decat = £1336.06

So £10 in it (unless my maths has gone wonky as usual!  :)  ). Also, please note that Jim's "S" is an optimised 70mm system whereas the Larini is the 63.5mm diameter similar to the NA.

Either way, I am sure both will be fine systems, but the price difference is a pizza. So really not a lot in it to be honest. 

When I jump, I'll be going for the 2bular, two reasons really - the first is that Jim is local in the UK - so supporting a UK engineering business as this fits with my views. The second, is that Jim's products have an excellent reputation and they are constantly being developed and updated for the Evora (and other cars) and I believe that that investment in R&D and commitment to the marque and model should be rewarded.

Just to be clear - I am not linked to 2bular or Jim in any way, nor am I "dissing" Larini nor it's products in any way - I am sure they are perfectly good and more than fit for purpose. They would have gone out of business long ago if they were not.

Edited by C8RKH

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I appreciate that chap but looking at the sites that isn't how it looks. so people who are price sensitive may chose a system they actually don't want. Ultimately £200 won't sway most people who spend ££££ in these cars anyway it will be the sound of the system. 

Both look to be good options and this is a useful thread :)

I'm really confused now Stu - the price difference is £10 not £200. You DO NOT need the decat pipe as an optional extra with the 2bular - just checked the website and this is clear. So, the price difference is £10 as above. You need to pay for the decat pipe with the Larini. What am I missing?

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Even for £200, i'd definitely get a Jim Special. To put it in comparison Stuno, I had Jim's 'Mark 1' valved exhaust for the Evora NA. AlfaToEvora had his prototype which proved a hit, which then led him to make a publically available version - mine was his first iteration and since then I know of atleast 5 folks who've heard mine and gone to Jim. Thats almost every Evora NA owner i've met :D

If it's any consolation aswell - when I first started looking, I was in the market for a Larini. I'm definitely glad I went for Jim's.

I missed the last bit on the 2bular site! So as you say price is no difference really and it is now down to sound only. Which as I said previously would be the main reason for most choosing a system.

Apologies for the confusion. 

Stuart

Not had my MOT yet :) But no - there are two cats in the downpipes which are all you need for UK regulations. The third cat is for EU regulations :)

• Like 1

Any issues with noise on the MOT?

I am leaning to the non-valved "track" option from 2bular - manifolds and box - the whole thing - so instead of 3 cats I will have just one, Jim's new 200cel sport one. I suspect it will sound like a Spitfire, and not the sort made by Triumph :)

The small print.