Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Le Mans Classic 2016 - Page 2 - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Le Mans Classic 2016

theelanman

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done 'done' the Classic Le mans as I have been invited to go with the Lotus this year. I have never been to anything like this before so has anyone any experience of this or any advice on the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

I'm going......with a load of other Lotus and owners.......

We're camping....overnight ferries.....great fun

Been going since it started back in 2002.....it's got a lot busier.......

What do you want to know?......

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Hi Gareth,

Having not been before I was wondering:

1. Which is the best way to get there? Eurotunnel or Ferry and which port but having found this thread I assume that Portsmouth may be the best bet.

2. Which is the best way to do it, through a group, club or organised group or just get in the car and go to get the best out the weekend?

3. Camping or Hotel, B&B etc..?

Having been shown some photos and video of one persons trip I am a little concerned on the camping front as the footage showed drunken idiots driving around the campsite in a camper which involved driving over peoples tents etc.. If I go I would like to enjoy the experience rather than spend the weekend nursing an extreme hangover and suffering from lack of sleep for all the wrong reasons (really not my thing).

4. Also has anyone any experience of the VIP options - is it worth it?

5. Is there an area Lotus owners pitch camp?

Any advice gratefully received.

Marc

we drive.....and do the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo (out) and overnight Caen to Portsmouth (return)

I go with CLOG (Cheshire lotus owners group)...we source our own tickets for camping and the event through the ACO and Peter Auto

we camp because its fun and all part of the experience........(our ages range from 30's to 70's......and yes the 70's do camp)

you don't get the same numbers and types at the classic so quite sedate........when we camped at maison blanc it used to get quite popular as people would drive round the cart track but this is now the Porsche visitors centre so closed to the public and most of the camping has been moved...

there are VIP options........Id always had it until last year.....pit access, drivers club...etc etc.....but didn't in 2014 and didn't miss it really so Id probably say its your call.......do it once at least just for the pit access during the race.........but you can get up close and personal with the general access/paddock pass....all the cars are out undercover and protected from the public by the use of a line of the best string available :P

there are track laps available too..........about £150 for about 4~5 laps IIRC

there isn't a lotus 'camp' as such....just who you book/or go with....there is, if you register with Classic Le Mans, a parking area on the Bugatti circuit (the infield circuit that the moto GP use) which is marque specific so we usually end up parking with CLFrance, Historic Lotus Register, and any other Lotus Club which has registered......

cheers

G

Marc

We've been a few times now (last 15 years or so) and definitely prefer the Classic. Camping on track seems to be the best way to get the full experience, although some friends of mine stay in the grounds of a chateau nearby which looks gorgeous and ever more tempting as we get older: http://en.chateau-de-chanteloup.com/

However, you can't beat the buzz of being there at night and therefore camping near the track is a must - at least for your first taste. We've gradually got more 'sophisticated'! 

By that, I mean we starting in the ACO camp sites with huge numbers of rowdy, drunken campers (Dutch and Brits leading the charge here), huge queues for the toilets then huge queues for the showers and flirting with botulism by BBQing food picked up on the way down from the hypermarche.

Now, we stay in a trackside campsite with good facilities (hot showers, decent loos, short queues) and onsite catering. It's more expensive, but worth it and allows you to focus on the racing/general ambience. We tried out Lycian events last year at the normal Le Mans and have rebooked it again for this year's Classic - http://www.lycianevents.com/classic-le-mans.php

Other similar camp sites are available....

The best tip however, is to turn the trip into a journey. We always have 2 extra nights - one on the way down on the banks of the Seine (a secret!) and on the way back we stop in Honfleur for a last hurrah (and well deserved comfy bed/shower/bath).

Finding deserted French D roads and driving in a little convoy of British classics is beyond words. Especially if the sun's out.

Finally, you'd have thought that July in mid-France would provide glorious warm weather. Think again! For the last 3 Classics (I think) the weather has been atrocious - thundery, wet and 'orrible for tenting and a quagmire underfoot. The year before that was unbearably hot and that in some ways, that was even worse.

So looking forward to taking the Esprit for its first Classic, I can barely contain myself.

Good luck.

John

I reckon its alternated.........the weather that is........

boiling hot or cold and wet...........

I do remember one year going to bed fully clothed (by choice....not the usual drinking saga) as it was absolutely Baltic.....

what ever you do I sure you will enjoy it........

make sure you've got your walking shoes on and don't forget that Caerfour or any other shop or supermarket are NOT open on the Sunday......

Thanks for the replies - all useful stuff and sounds really good. I am hoping we can make it a 4 day event as well as convince my mates brother that he wants to come along in the 'support vehicle' (he owns a van :w00t:) so we are able to run the Esprit empty. I will pass all this onto Chris and see what he thinks but I do like the idea of the Lycean Events option.

• Gold FFM

I hope I'm wrong Mark but the ferry crossings will be getting very full. We booked last October and couldn't get what we originally wanted.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm going.

Looking at overnight crossings Portsmouth to St Malo/Le Havre/Caen or Newhaven to Dieppe. They are a bit more expensive than the Dover Calais route, but it gives you a nights sleep and save fueling a V8 for 5 Hours.

Anyone done the Dieppe route?

Camping on circuit looks like the plan.

booking up soon.

Dunc

We are going Portsmouth to Caen on Wednesday night. 6th July with the LDC group. No cabins left so its reclining seats reserved for us .We are booked on Plymouth to Roscoff for the Historic Monaco, never been on that route so its a first. For those in Kent I don't think you can beat the tunnel with a nights stay in Ashford for an early morning start. Have a good trip.

• Like 2

Booked Newhaven-Dieppe as a cabin was available and the times worked better for me. Its also easier to get to than Dover or Portsmouth from where I live.

• 2 months later...

Bit of a long shot, but one of our party has dropped out, and so I have a spare ticket for the Classic with Paddock pass which is extra.  If anyone is interested PM me.  This is just for the General entrance ticket and paddock pass, no accomodation or ferry.

Ade

I'm really getting quite excited about this.

how many are going from TLF, and are there plans to meet up when we are there? We are camping at the chateux thing with club lotus.

• Gold FFM

My car is back - with the bonus of working brakes! - Heading out middle of next week and looking forward to it. Hope the weather is better than the 24 hour.

• Like 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Long range weather looks good sunny, partly cloudy, 25 degrees.

Weather for the 24hrs wasnt too bad for the main race, but the drive back was a nightmare, as the guy in the 911 found out north of Rouen when he lost control and bounced off the central reservation

I will be there. A friend has organised the trip so not sure where we are camping. Not taking a lotus sadly. Never been but very much looking forward to it 

• Like 1

All ready for the off, if you get flashed or waved at by an idiot in a 25year old blue 911 cab it's me! Have fun everyone ? 

Gav