Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Life in the old v8 yet - Page 34 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Life in the old v8 yet

16 hours ago, Vanya said:

didn't you need new pistons and conrods for a safe 500 hp? I don't think it was just the 'box limiting the production engine. 

I don't think so Vanya, I've read many threads about the merits or otherwise of forged pistons etc. and generally it's a belt and braces for road use. Now if you're gong racing or silly boost or inter/chargecooler then I suppose it would be sensible!

Happy to be corrected by @mike_sekinger of course :)

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

I'd just like some RWhp - seems to be something missing in my engine Bay Area :cry:

dropped the gearbox off for rebuild today - seemed to think it was the backlash not set correctly on the box - rather than the goon in the drivers seat and his associated right foot. New Crown Wheel and pinion set ordered from Lotus. 

Now it's just wait for a few weeks and pay the bill. Then I can slam that box back in it's rightful place and go hooning again

• Like 1

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

I'd just like some RWhp - seems to be something missing in my engine Bay Area :cry:

One of these perhaps?
attachment.php?attachmentid=2980&stc=1&d

• Like 2

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Then I can slam that box back in it's rightful place

I thought this was a PG 13 thread, Barry. :lol:

Best of luck on the rebuild.

21 minutes ago, Vanya said:

One of these perhaps?
attachment.php?attachmentid=2980&stc=1&d

At one horsepower I think even the Renault unit can handle it. <_<

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

23 minutes ago, Iconic Ride said:

I thought this was a PG 13 thread, Barry. :lol:

Best of luck on the rebuild.

At one horsepower I think even the Renault unit can handle it. <_<

Not including the inbuilt safety margin.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

I had a face just like that chicken when I was given a price for a CWP set from some places......

lotus price from Paul Matty and I felt all egg like again

Only here once

i love barry's post it starts off all above board and technical then ends with chicken nuts goats in trees and that van hahahahahahahaha omg .

i think you should hold fire baz you've spent so much getting it right why sell and let someone else have the joy . you may find a 4 banger with more problems ? stay v8 you know it makes sense . 

soon we can have a lotus meet at my new unit all will be ok trust me 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

V8 is destined for someone else I'm afraid @Alex Carter. I've now got my sights firmly on an s3 NA which will be for my boy when he's older (although I'll get him on a track with it) and either an se or an s4 for me.

the wife's got other ideas....... but she's wrong as thats what's happening :devil:.

gearbox should be back with me mid December and I will post up some pictures and a link to the guy who's done the work on the box. 

I can't believe my respectable thread ends up in the gutter yet again :rofl: it's always the same folks that do it.....but I'm always quick to do the same. We owned goats once - and yes they do have a habit of climbing trees!  

The egg rogering the chicken was somewhat how I felt at points after that box went bang. It seems to be  very common banging two teeth off the crownwheel. I've read a bit about shaft breaking but frankly that's overhyped if treated correctly - mine had a recon box in it about 5000 miles ago according to the PO as he bust the 5th gear. Gearbox man seemed to think it was backlash issues that cause this - and 4-5000 miles is typical until you need to pick up pieces.

my thanks go out to the chaps on here who have PM'd me contacts and assistance.... you know who you guys are - :thumbsup:

Only here once

Roll on 10 years and there's a bushy beard Barry at the movie premiere about a homeless guy who befriended an abandoned pet Guinea Pig called Sheila and how both their lives were transformed

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

See - look what's started now @Alex Carter

ive never been able to grow a beard - and I like guinea pigs.......

the car fund remains as what it is..... a car fund for me and my boy to enjoy

Only here once

An S3 N/A is about the safest bet you can buy.  And SEs are awesome and look the dogs dangles.  But are you able to buy a car that's already sorted and needs no work?  My guess is I think you like the challenge of a project.

• Like 2

Barry I know of a car that's needs work but had its Cambelt donee about 18 months ago. He didn't want to sell it then but now. It's a blue s3 na. I will try and find out if you are interested ? 

• Like 1

You mentioned getting an Elise @Barrykearley. I reckon that you should go for this instead, put some mudguards on it, make it road legal. I think it would be more fun...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Honda-Indy-car-Indycar-F1-race-racing-used-Dallara-IR4/132009854571

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

:rofl: I don't think so.

parts are now at the gearbox rebuilders. Just gotta wait now.

have some very distinct plans for next years motoring - just gotta make it all happen now. If that fkin box hadn't blown I would be smashing into them plans right now

Only here once