Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Life in the old v8 yet - Page 27 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Life in the old v8 yet

8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I'm thinking new cats and centre exit - but I'm just not 100% sure.

At the risk of starting WWIII might I add my humble (and if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you in NYC) opinion that the center exhaust setup just doesn't look right without the later model "cheese grater" installed. 

• Like 1

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

I have a cad drawing for the cheese grater and was going to get one knocked up

7 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Did it sort it Barry?

:detective:

I think so - I've also bolted the boot floor down. 99% of the time everything is peachy - but I do get the occasional strange feel. Now that could well be paranoia to be honest. 

• Like 1

Only here once

Are you sure all the Pokemons have been released from the boot? 

Will be quite interested in seeing the "made to order" cheese grater, Barry. Go for it!:)

• Like 1

Is that OEM?:lol:

• Gold FFM

Well, I've just spent the entire evening reading this thread on your advice @swindon_alan and credit to you Barry for bringing your Lovely V8 back from the brink, for you or (if you should ever pass it on) whoever should be lucky enough to own it for another 20 years.

As I'm about to embark on a similar mission this winter due to a wobbly intermediate shaft, this has been a great insight into some of the problems that I hopefully won't have to address. 

I shall now also be fully prepared should I ever have the need to wire up the fans and lighting in a chicken shed,  or have to save up for a tonne of caged bird food. And it's good to know the power to weight ratio of donkeys, (turbocharged or naturally aspirated) 

Thanks for this thread, 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Well, I've just spent the entire evening reading this thread on your advice @swindon_alan and credit to you Barry for bringing your Lovely V8 back from the brink, for you or (if you should ever pass it on) whoever should be lucky enough to own it for another 20 years.

As I'm about to embark on a similar mission this winter due to a wobbly intermediate shaft, this has been a great insight into some of the problems that I hopefully won't have to address. 

I shall now also be fully prepared should I ever have the need to wire up the fans and lighting in a chicken shed,  or have to save up for a tonne of caged bird food. And it's good to know the power to weight ratio of donkeys, (turbocharged or naturally aspirated) 

Thanks for this thread, 

Is the wobble side to side or in and out ??

like everything - I'm not planning on parting with her - but I'd never say never. Thing with most of the cars for sale is they normally haven't had these jobs done - a nice chap on Facebook had bought a lovely well cared for example with lots of reciepts etc ....... It's now at esprit engineering for rotten studs and busted turbos....doh

If any of those studs need drilling - just be aware there's only a small amount of metal at the ends of the studs and you are straight through the block into bad places and the heads are scrap

good luck - be prepared and do what's needed

Only here once

Then spread it out in front of the fire and invite her in! Perfect and loads of brownie points too if you've already lit the scented candles :ermm:

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
On 6 June 2016 at 16:53, swindon_alan said:

V8 air pump.jpg

Pin Sheet Ref Colour Connection Input/Output
64 5C 80 BG Air pump relay pin 86 + air control solenoid Switched ground

A low value pull down to earth resistor should do it Barry.

Why can't I find this air pump relay in any of the parts lists ??? And where's it meant to be ?

Mine hasn't got an air pump for sure - but the Ecu is expecting it to have one. Would just be easier to fit a relay if there is a slot where it's supposed to go

Only here once

56 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Mine hasn't got an air pump for sure - but the Ecu is expecting it to have one

Did you have your ECU upgraded? If so you may find the ECU may require one but the loom cannot cater for it - Does that make sense?

• Gold FFM

yup sure does make sense.....lots of swearing emanating from the garage tonight.

pin 64 has a little black and green wire - traced that through to a plug which i eventually found snugged neatly out of the way by the power steering reservoir on the left hand fuel tank. Thats got along with it a nice solid green wire which buzzes to ground/chassis. Now off on the hunt for my box of resistors.......now what safe place did i see them in last.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

So I measure the resistance across one of the relay coils - 85ish ohms - so take a carefully selected 82ohm resistor from the packet - stuff it in the connector I'd found.

reconnect Ecu, reconnect battery, hook up PC - reset error p0413. All looks good.

go to start the car. Pumps run - no starter motor engaging.......oh frick - panic sets in.

no no calm down - Ecu has comms, pumps running - must be some thing daft. Must be.........must be....:wallbash:. All fuses ok - take out starter relay - inputs look ok on the meter - coil buzzes out - right link that out then - nope not that........

a minute of feverish navvy swearing and shouting occurred. Once I'd fixed that issue ( pint for the first person to laugh correctly guess ) key in - crank, start - run up - oooh lovely - no engine manage to light on :animier::animier: - PC reports all is well.

retire for the night - in the full knowledge that the bloody indicator tell tale, coolant and oil tell tales all don't appear to be lighting up ........ Another job for the bstard list. Noticed they had packed up last week. Bulbs all good. Tips please @swindon_alan - I know you've played in this area

and my special thanks go to @Alex Carter now he's pointed out the panel gap on my bonnet is not great - it's now really offending my eyesight parked in the garage..... Yet another job for another day.

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

like everything - I'm not planning on parting with her - but I'd never say never. Thing with most of the cars for sale is they normally haven't had these jobs done - a nice chap on Facebook had bought a lovely well cared for example with lots of reciepts etc ....... It's now at esprit engineering for rotten studs and busted turbos....doh

If any of those studs need drilling - just be aware there's only a small amount of metal at the ends of the studs and you are straight through the block into bad places and the heads are scrap

The worst one side to side, it's not bad but needs to be done before disaster strikes. Of course, now that I've read the entire epic 

15 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

It's the horrible one side to side, it's only got a little wobble at the moment, but needs sorting before disaster strikes. Of course, now that I've read the entire Barry Kearly autobiography volume 1, I have become somewhat of an expert on the pitfalls of Lotus V8 ownership, and had already read somewhere in there about the manifold studs. So I'm already looking for an induction heater and have started to make a list of the parts required before I start, (including new fuel tanks)

What a shame that you didn't read it before you started. It would have saved you lots of trouble I'm sure! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, march said:

Did you have your ECU upgraded? If so you may find the ECU may require one but the loom cannot cater for it - Does that make sense?

Yep, Marc is spot on, as you agreed Barry. Your ECM chips were probably from a US or '02 on RoW mapping set where all of the emissions gubbins was present (as you got the Sport 350 on high torque/low gear version). In the diagram above I was suggesting that you pull ECM pin 64 down to earth with a resistor to simulate the relay, which is where you got to in the end :thumbup:

I claim my pint as you hadn't disarmed the immobiliser..?

The tell tales are "interesting" in that the low coolant and oil pressure share a common positive feed from the RH binnacle splice:

'98 on tell tales 1.jpg

Which would seems to suggest that perhaps all of your farting around with that tiny low space binnacle of yours has pulled the feed wire off?

The turn signal tell tale is on completely different wiring, but again, perhaps you have inadvertently disconnected the feed or return (assuming that the indicators are still working ok)?

'98 tell tales 2.jpg

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM

Indicators themselves do work - bit puzzled about it - need to look properly.

no pint I'm afraid - it wasn't immobiliser - that's a two cut system and the fuel pumps were running - that was the first thing I jumped to look at. The answer is uttery laughable and I'm surprised more folks haven't had exactly the same issue in the past.

management light is now off - comes on at ignition - then off when started - all as it should be with no errors flagged :animier:. The Ecu images are indeed out of a sport 350 car.

i will try grounding the one side of the oil warning lamp and see if it comes on later tonight.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Good try - but no

it was......drum roll

theres a thick fatish White / red wire goes from the rear relay box up and over the wheel arch bit - and yes - mid way up there is a spade interconnector - my fettling had separated these

Only here once

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:28, Barrykearley said:

Good try - but no

it was......drum roll

theres a thick fatish White / red wire goes from the rear relay box up and over the wheel arch bit - and yes - mid way up there is a spade interconnector - my fettling had separated these

I knew it was that. You owe me a pint.

Margate Exotics.