Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Delco ABS leak problem - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Delco ABS leak problem

Hello,

Looking for some help. I got the P38 accumulator and tried using a copper washer to get it to seal. However it will not seal and leaks brake fluid. Can anyone give me some guidance as how to seal the accumulator to the pump body?

• Gold FFM

Tony, you might find an o-ring a better option.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

+ 1 for the o-ring...

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

The P38 accumulator is face sealing with a washer unlike the OE accumulator that seals with an O ring in the bore of the pump housing's accumulator port. Face sealing with an O ring on a screwed in connection isn't a good idea as it twists the O ring rather than simply compressing it.

The AC Delco 25528382 accumulator is closer to the OE accumulator but doesn't have the shoulder to locate the O ring deeper in the port but it works.

• Gold FFM

I might have it wrong as to which accumulator I got when my old one died. I know it came with nothing when I got it from Steve Taylor. I put an o-ring on it and have had no problem. The copper washer I tried first, leaked. Badly.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

For those of you that have used the P38 accumulator. One thing that I have noticed is that when you install it with a copper washer that there are only two threads of the accumulator that thread into the body of the pump. This worries me. If you apply brakes normally the two threads may hold. however in a panic stop the two threads may not be enough to keep it in. Just a thought

• Like 1

The accumulator connection is always exposed to the pressure of the fluid in the accumulator / pump housing assembly and the pressure does not increase with brake pedal usage. The pressure actually drops when the brakes are applied until the pump re-charges the accumulator.

I agree that only two threads of engagement doesn't sound particularly good.

• Like 1

I looked into this. they do not make a m14x1.5 to m14x1.5 extension fitting. If they do, I have not been able to find it. I did find a m14x1.5 to m16x1.5 adapter. Then i would have to go m16x1.5 to m14x1.5 adapter.

I'd be unhappy having two threads between me and possible brake failure.

I see that SJ Sportscars lists the accumulator at £225 + VAT, although I haven't asked what the stock level is. I suspect mine is the original, and as I'm soon going to be getting into brakes, this is an interesting subject. It is of course possible to machine an M14 male/female extension nipple should it be needed, however reading Darren's thread about getting Delco brakes working, it seems he didn't have that same problem.

Darren, if you're reading this, maybe you could confirm?

Margate Exotics.