Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2bular "Track" system - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2bular "Track" system

• Gold FFM

Well done Jim - onwards and upwards !!!

hard work is always rewarded - keep it up chap ?

20 hours ago, quantum2000 said:

Titanium Add-on, will sound test on Monday (forgot to bring the sound meter home :blush:)

DSC_0533.JPGDSC_0536.JPGDSC_0537.JPG

I'm interested in this result - mainly cos I've swapped my setup on the v8 to straight out and I'm now concerned it might scupper any track use - so would love to see the before and after results

20 hours ago, quantum2000 said:

Titanium Add-on, will sound test on Monday (forgot to bring the sound meter home :blush:)

DSC_0533.JPGDSC_0536.JPGDSC_0537.JPG

I'm interested in this result - mainly cos I've swapped my setup on the v8 to straight out and I'm now concerned it might scupper any track use - so would love to see the before and after results

Only here once

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 09:21, redspeed said:

For the record, my car was measured at 92db at c4800 rpm on the static test at Goodwood with the stainless "slip-ons" fitted and I had no issues with the drive-by. 

The stainless slip-ons are slightly larger diameter, and slightly longer than Jeff's, but don't stick out as much as it looks in the photo. 

This was a 98db/96db day.

Later in the day I took the extra pipes off and went for a static retest, which then gave almost exactly the same reading as Jeff. We got to 101db at just above 4500rpm before they shook their heads?

That carpet cracks me up! What was it - a St Bernard?

Glad the bigger diameter stainless add-ons did the job for you John - I know they're a bit fiddly to fit but a good spring-puller helps. Will find a supplier for those methinks. Snipe-nosed pliers are too awkward. Shorter/lighter stainless add-ons would probably be enough for a "noisy" day elsewhere - the downward tips are important though. Not sure if they'd be acceptable as a permanent fixture on a Road system? In the Evo-world, they're practically a necessity now - 500bhp is LOUD.

• Like 1

I've done approx 80 miles today with the titanium add-ons, mixture of B roads and dual carriage way.

Its noticeably quieter both inside and out. For the size of them they really do dull the sound down.

Exactly how do they do this Jim ???

As said previously I will sound test tomorrow........as long as I remember to bring the meter home :thumbup:

2 hours ago, 2bular Exhausts said:

2bular's a profitable business. No debt, pays its suppliers and its taxes but I've taken it as far as one man can go. I'm INSANELY competitive and need to spread my wings. Be in no doubt - there will ALWAYS be a range of 2bular exhausts for the Lotus market. Demand worldwide is through the roof and this move will reduce the long lead times which is the only complaint I hear again and again. It can only be good for all concerned.

I think the "no more Lotus exhausts" came about because I mentioned the new guy didn't like Lotus - but you don't turn your back on your current revenue stream!

PS: Aston Martin is not in our thoughts. 

That's great news:). I did get impression from our emails that you weren't going to continue with Lotus.

Will be interesting to see where you go next then. Hopefully one day I will switch the Exige for a GT3 and would be great if the first mod on that was a 2bular :)

1 hour ago, quantum2000 said:

I've done approx 80 miles today with the titanium add-ons, mixture of B roads and dual carriage way.

Its noticeably quieter both inside and out. For the size of them they really do dull the sound down.

Exactly how do they do this Jim ???

As said previously I will sound test tomorrow........as long as I remember to bring the meter home :thumbup:

Interesting - thank you Jeff. The Ti add-ons have a 60mm bore - larger than the Y-collector pipe. So a bit of expansion and the gas-speed is slowed down - that helps with noise control. If you combine both add-on dimensions together, it's a reasonably large silencer - it all helps.

John's stainless add-ons have a 57mm bore - same diameter as the Y-collector pipe. Faster gas-speed but I used a bigger silencer - and those downward tips help too.

It's ok static-testing but it's the drive-by which is important to staying out on track.

• 2 months later...

hi guys
I wanted to ask someone to you or to @Jim (if you read me) if you know or if there are store in Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland, which 2bular where you can buy this exhaust ? or should I go directly to @Jim ?

Cheers and Thanks

Generally speaking most people go and buy direct. However there is typically a long build time. Sometimes soo long that people look for alternative options ie Komotec etc

www.alias23.com

Well, I sent an inquiry months ago but I never even got a reply. Although I have heard the business is in the middle of an acquisition so that may be the reason.

I contacted my independent Lotus service guy 4 weeks to get some 2bular headers. He ordered them 3 weeks ago and they were fitted Wednesday when in for a service.

Try an email from the website contact page. It has generally worked for me in the past.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Spoke to Jim yesterday, he's very busy but called me back after I'd left a message. Said a valved exhaust with stainless tips was doable within a week or two. Got the impression the track version and anything with carbon tips might be a little longer. Fingers crossed - if not then I'll go to Komotec. 

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Ordered mine 4 months ago have spoken and received emails from Jim I know he's snowed under and he said that know body likes making the exhaust for mine as it sounds like the H1 option is tricky to do so will take longer as Jims doing it himself hopefully good things come to he who waits :sofa: 

For the moment, thank you guys for your answers and experiences ... ...

I'll try to contact Jim directly and try to understand to what extent is the production and timing thinks that in order to receive ...

Anyway, what do you say, let's keep up to date ... if anyone has NEWS ...:welcome:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No drone. Valve closed its a nice muted rumble, certainly better sounding than the standard exhaust as you can hear it but in that pleasant background murmour that a performance car exhaust should make.. With the valve open its pretty loud but not what I'd call a drone, just sounds like a brass band falling down a lift shaft. I've 2500miles round europe coming up I'll let you know :)

• Like 1

Black n gold

"just sounds like a brass band falling down a lift shaft"

That's the best description I've ever heard!... hahaha!

Great news, I remember using the "plack" exhaust on the Evora and it just destroyed the sound of the car as it sounded broken and waaaaaaaaay too loud, just wanted to check I wouldn't have bleeding ear drums! Thanks!

2015 Orange Exige V6

I've pretty much given up on a 2bular. First asked to be put in the queue for a valved system back in May before I even had an Evora/Exige because I'd read about the long lead times. Was told it would definately be ready for mid-June. Have twice since spoken to Jim and been promised "a week or two" but heard nothing.

Don't have a problem waiting for a quality product but it feels a little like I'm being strung along with no real prospect of getting one anytime soon.

Will look into Kome Tec and Larini systems instead. Shame.

Edited by swanny71

After several months waiting, and various broken promises (also along the lines of 'it will be ready next week' etc etc), I gave up on Jim and ordered a Komotec exhaust. 

It arrived less than 7 days later!

Jim is his own worst enemy. The product is excellent, but he needs to be more realistic on the delivery times, I do believe he doesn't like letting people down hence the numerous false dawns on delivery. But it'd be so much better if he was more honest , I'm sure people are happy to wait 2-3 months as long as it does arrive. Once you do get hold of him then you realise hes very passionate and knowledgeable about exhausts ......just over promises to much.

I paid in Sept, got one in Feb ( tho he had flooded workshop and blown welder in that time), gave that one to another customer as he needed it fitted asap, and finally got mine in July. 

Maybe JPE and BTB are as good but they're dearer and often have equally long lead times. 

As someone mentions the new Larini is meant to be good and the komotec sounded ok but not the rumble the 2bular makes.

Black n gold