Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1990 SE front tyres - here we go again! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1990 SE front tyres - here we go again!

So I need to replace my front tyres I am currently running 215/50/15 dunlops which is the correct size. However none to be found anymore and no other options in that size unless a track tyre.

so can I fit 225/50/15 or 205/50/15 tyres instead and what size would be best?

Sorry if there are answers to this question elsewhere but I couldn't find a suitable one.

thanks

Paul

Marcus of PUK Esprit Racing was very helpful to me last year locating some correct sized front tyres (Dunlops SP) from Germany for my SE. And the postage to Australia was much cheaper than I imagined (Last time I ordered some from TireRack, it more than doubled the price of the tyres.)

http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/

If you start changing tyre size, then you have to worry about suspension settings, nose clearance, under/oversteer, etc

Edited by Qavion
addit info

+-10mm makes so little difference as not to matter in real terms. Given the choice I'd go up in size as you've more rubber on the road and a little bit more rim protection.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

205/50R15 kicks ass, got some Kumho's on my SE. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

I'd second the kumho ecsta ku31 as well

you may have to look for weeks and weeks - but they do pop up every few months it seems 

Only here once

I have Firestone Firehawks - fronts 195/55/15 and rear 245/50/16 if you want matching tires.  However, they might not be as sticky as the Kumhos.  They were pretty inexpensive for the whole set $580 installed US.  Of course, these might be harder to find in across the pond.

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

• Gold FFM

Was that a deliberate pun?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Guys I want to share this because I think it's important!

A little back ground - my car has always been shall we say a little upridictable or even twitchy when it's come down to handling, and as the car and tyres began to warm so the handling became a little better. I have always ran the Dunlop sp9000 on the front as they were really the only choice  if you wanted to keep to spec and always assumed the the poor handling was down to bushes as all the suspension is new.

last week I started this post because my front tyres had cracks appearing on the tyre walls, the tread was well over 6mm on each but being cautious thought the best course of action was to get them changed. I eventually went for Toyo 225/50/15 Proxes!

This is the bit that I think is very important....... Having fitted these on Friday last I cannot believe the difference!

No longer does the car behave badly it's absolutely a joy to drive very predictable no twitching really really bloody fantastic its clearly something that's been building up for some time and I never considered the tyres would have such a massive impact just having side wall cracks but let me assure you it does.

Anyway I hope you find this interesting and informative.

Paul

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

If the side walls are cracked it's a sign the compound is drying out. Old tyres on any car is bad - and on an esprit it's terrible

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I can tesify to old tires being near lethal. I just replaced all 4 which 3 off were the originals on a 30 year old car. Two new Kumo's and two Toyo's and the difference is unbelieveable, I can now throw her into some corners knowing that she will come round and follow where I intended her to go.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

With old rears mine would just try and point you the other way. Fronts just felt like stone - you could count the ants on the road !!

old tyres = bad

new tyres = fun 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

The fronts Ihad would just please themselves where they went, especially with the slightest hint of damp. Scary moments at times. But fun.