Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 133 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Last time I put mine back together I accidentally swapped the seat-belt warning lamp with the alternator lamp. 

This caused a lot of head-scratching!

• Like 1

great job, if you want some inspiration this http://www.dino246.com/index.html

is a great restoration of a dino. every nut and bolt.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

One of the highlights of my year is the annual Barkaways open day in Tonbridge which all Ferrari owners get invited to. Their work is amazing.

They have done many Dinos:  http://www.barkaways.com/cars/view/ferrari-dino-246-gt-1972-05214

• Like 1

Impressive open cheque book resto! Looks like they have painted the engine and carbs? 

Well if it's good enough for a Ferrari is good enough for my Turbo! 

Detailed engine coming this way soon!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly edging forward! IMG_5171.thumb.PNG.7f93928af10ca0768d1004219ac77120.PNGIMG_5166.thumb.JPG.d0bff24caaf9966513221ac0013951d0.JPGLeather edging as per the original, not easy to achieve these days as it's all vinyl. I took a colour swatch and matched the carpet to the original. It's not brown as some would have us believe, its terracotta. I believe those guys that made the autoart models have also been to the museum. They got the interior of the model spot on. I know they went there for two reasons. I was told by the curator someone else had inspected the car and the skis on the model are identical to the skis that were on the museum car. A little more  research and they would have realised the skis had been replaced. That's why the model has got the wrong colour ski bindings!

I was also told a well known company, that will remain nameless, were in possession of the original ski carrier fiberglass moulds. A little more research and it transpires they had these moulds made and were trying to sell the carriers. Unfortunately the carriers were a poor attempt to copy the originals. 

I have been researching ski carrier designs and now believe I have all the knowledge to make a pretty accurate copy of the originals that will look almost the same, but will be fully functional ski racks rather than film props. It may take me a while though! Sadly because of possible liabilities I will only make one set for personal use.

Havnt made much progress recently due to other responsibilities, but Inhope to progress this again soon!  

The Autoart model also has the HC bonnet which the museum car now has but not when it appeared in the movie. So they unknowingly introduced an inaccuracy from the movie car by faithfully following the museum car. 

• Like 1

Finally wired all,of the binnacle! This time I won't be so stupid as to think it will all work, so have left it accessible until I have checked all of the circuits. Last time I did this it took hours to figure out where all the wires went and I had to remake and upgrade circuits. That has been done for me in this far more advanced Turbo and so it was an easy matter to plug it all in - specially when you have photographs. Only a couple of wires required looking up on the circuit diagram. One spade repair and it's done! I'm having the headlining made by the Maestro Steve Fulcher. All of the cockpit wiring is in and the stereo fully operational. I'm having great trouble sourcing the bulkhead speakers. Till I find them I will use underseat ones. 

• Like 2

As I'm copying the Bond car I have already removed the door speakers. The lower half of the door cards were vinyl and leather on the top. So I am having the door cards retrimmed with no speakers by Steve Fulcher. He's also doing my seats and centre consol which have to be full leather and the headlining.  He's the only person I trust to get the seats correct.

I have been searching for the bulkhead speakers for two years now within no luck. But here you go everyone here is a picture of the Bond car speakers. If anyone reading this has some I'm your man! I think the problem is they don't look very  expensive and would probably been thrown away. I have tried to find out what cars used them with no luck. The symbol in the middle is an upside down M which stands for Maystar. It took me several weeks to work that out!IMG_5254.thumb.PNG.ff92e352fb124081d3902fc88932e535.PNG

Don't be fooled by the lighting the carpet colour is Teracotta not brown! 

I know because I took a colour swatch and checked it!

Maystar speakers like this seem very allusive....

• Like 2

Incidentally I have purchased a service manual for the cockpit stereo. It has all the info need to repair and service the stereo. I also am now the proud owner of a Panasonic Carcompo system. What's that I hear you say - that was my reaction too! It's one of the only separate HI FI systems ever designed for the car. I look forward to getting it working. Here the advert from the 80s. At the time I didn't think much of this stuff, now looking back it all seems very very cool!IMG_5182.thumb.PNG.82ac6590655ad87d9f77cf193f008ee0.PNG

On 29/08/2018 at 09:37, Lotusfab said:

That Dino is pretty immaculate! 

Yep some of it is very over the top, even stickers on the relays etc...

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

I bought a set of these speakers along with a Maystar head unit in 1985, they were stocked and sold by small independent motor factors. I still remember the display in my local parts shop, and many a night out with those speakers blasting out AC/DC and Black Sabbath in my Mk3 Cortina.

Unfortunately the Cortina and the speakers went to the scrap yard many years ago.

• Like 1

Wow, were they any good? Can you remember the power Output? I was hoping they may have been a factory fit on an eighties car. Depspite lots of research no luck after two years! 

You would think there would be lots of them out there?

I would think these were aftermarket only, not a factory fit on a volume car. 

That was the same as other items on these cars such as the mirrors, aerial etc. They seem to be simply retail kits which they used. 

I would bet these speakers appeared all over the place at the time such as on boats, maybe even light aircraft etc but likely virtually none left now.

• Like 1