Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 143 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Ok Early wing mirrors

These suckers are proving difficult to source. Integral to my resto I really need to find some.IMG_5610.thumb.PNG.8aebf0f5bb8ae35430471d7e178c7237.PNGso I have the ones on the left and need the ones on the right. Arguably the mechanism in the later ones is superior. Is there anyone out there who would like to swap and I will also pay some cash? Christmas is near, could be a nice little earner for the discerning Lotus fan? They were also used on the Eclat Mk2. 

Also I still need the Bulgin knobs. The top two in the picture, if anyone would like to upgrade to the new PNM style I would be prepared to fund the upgrade? IMG_5383.thumb.PNG.9fff43fb9e601ddea9c58156e862156e.PNG

IMG_5650.thumb.PNG.f6c7e9df2a461fa7397f186d6b12df72.PNGIMG_5651.thumb.PNG.9eb59332cc0079f0c9bc6a8635f22562.PNG

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:28, Lotusfab said:

The reason Stefans has the LED is because the S and J is a reproduction. I have found one in poor confition the same as Stefans. S and J do a lot of these, so they must have contracted a company to make them. I may have to contact S and J and see if they wish to make the Other version. Does anyone else want one? 

Yep they are backlit.

I bought a panel from lotus and it had the LED hole. I actually cut the panel down as it was a high one. I have checked and it is the newer style graphics. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Look for "chicken beak" knobs for amplifiers etc on eBay you might find something in among the listings on there that might be suitable. Obviously the chicken beak ones are not what you want but the people that have those on offer usually have loads of different styles available on their eBay stores

• Like 1

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

1 hour ago, RichardJGC said:

Probably like this on ebay

FDA0CAEB-E148-4D5C-BEEC-041B9A0C52D3.png

Hi Richard, are we sure that wheel was used on the Essex and early cars? I have this picture of the Bond car boot. You can only see the back but it looks like Steel. My Turbo has the triangular pattern  steel ones with five studs. Maybe. Four stud version for the Early cars?IMG_5656.thumb.PNG.3836e59eb53e8b725e189db8fa2b4d5d.PNGIMG_5656.thumb.PNG.3836e59eb53e8b725e189db8fa2b4d5d.PNG

Edited by Lotusfab

Little bit of figuring out and it's up and running, excellent sound! If only I could go back to 1980 with it! IMG_5670.thumb.JPG.02a786bf61e110d4c46024d7f520fb4e.JPG

Very coool! 

May have to be my new garage stereo, I have 80s tapes! 

I have a recollection (maybe false memory...) that my S2 spare was the same as that and was a 'Weller' wheel. 

I probably wouldn't use any grease on the wastegate, maybe just lightly lube with synthetic engine oil.  If the stem runs directly in cast iron, that runs happily with no lubrication.  if it has some kind of bronze bush I would imagine it would be sintered.   

NB - My Turbo has the original 'early' type wing mirrors and its an 84 car - so they are not specific to very early cars.   Possibly changed at the changeover to the modified front suspension and glass roof option?  

• Like 1

I can't find any reliable Wastegate librication info. One thread suggests Moly grease another Nickle anti seize compound.  Thanks for the info on the mirrors. If anyone swaps beware the wiring has to change, a minor point but one worth making. 

Thanks about the Weller tip. Jeremy in here has also mentioned that. The Essex wheels look bespoke and home made with a thick weld line. 

Wastegate

still doing this after weeks. I am fitting a new diaphragm and seals. Trouble is I have lost the two nuts! Not wanting to pay exhorbatant amounts for two nuts I am trying to identify the thread. It's about 5.8 mm. It's not metric 6 mm or 1/4 UNF. I believe the Wastegate is originally an American part. Could it be American Navy thread of some kind? 

Dear Santa,

I've been very good this year. Please can you bring me two early type Wing mirrors for my Lotus Esprit Turbo. I promise only to ask for a front wheel lip next year! Good luck with the deliveries.Happy Xmas.

Fabian.

ps  let me know if you need my address we wouldn't  want you to loose the mirrors! 

• Haha 1

On 20/12/2018 at 14:09, Lotusfab said:

Wastegate

still doing this after weeks. I am fitting a new diaphragm and seals. Trouble is I have lost the two nuts! Not wanting to pay exhorbatant amounts for two nuts I am trying to identify the thread. It's about 5.8 mm. It's not metric 6 mm or 1/4 UNF. I believe the Wastegate is originally an American part. Could it be American Navy thread of some kind? 

Any chance you could measure the OD and make an assessment of how many TPI? Could be metric fine, perhaps BA.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

The wastegate was made by an Australian arm of Garrett so could be just about any thread, as the parent company would have used American thread but maybe Oz used metric or imperial!

I have a box of American screws and nuts here from the days when I used to work for a US company. It could be #12 size.

• Like 1

Well santa hasn't brought any mirrors😩😩😩

IMG_5816.thumb.PNG.b33409b7f22d2e3fd94443d698172244.PNGI'm not getting any younger and can't hang around. If anyone has the top or bottom mirror halfs in any condition I will buy them from you, Parts have been the biggest problem with this project. If I could have found a dry sump car I would have saved thousands of pounds. I find it very frustrating you can't get parts printed or made at a reasonable cost. I may have no choice but to get some bits remade. Very very expensive! This has got to be one of the most expensive Turbo restos ever done. 

Just need a little more help and it will be done!