Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 253 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I'm no expert on setting suspension geometry, as I said, I just used the parallel method to obtain a basic alignment and for me assess what shims I was likely to require when done professionally.

However you don't just weight to obtain it's road (driving) weight, but to level the car. Looking at your rear suspension I suspect it needs to sit lower, but as I stated during your colour reference process, photos can be misleading.

I would seriously recommend you ask the rolling road place if they can recommend a place the sets up geometry. I may not be able to tell the difference between our S1s (though I suspect I could), but I certainly could tell the difference in mine.

Very annoying if marks made due to external work. After all the hours spent restoring these cars, as you mentioned earlier.

2 hours ago, Fridge said:

I'm no expert on setting suspension geometry, as I said, I just used the parallel method to obtain a basic alignment and for me assess what shims I was likely to require when done professionally.

However you don't just weight to obtain it's road (driving) weight, but to level the car. Looking at your rear suspension I suspect it needs to sit lower, but as I stated during your colour reference process, photos can be misleading.

I would seriously recommend you ask the rolling road place if they can recommend a place the sets up geometry. I may not be able to tell the difference between our S1s (though I suspect I could), but I certainly could tell the difference in mine.

Very annoying if marks made due to external work. After all the hours spent restoring these cars, as you mentioned earlier.

Ahh I thought you said weigh the car in the previous post! Yes I understand levelling. Thats why the landrover discovery I rebuilt the front suspension on must be put into tight tolerance mode using a computer before suspension align is attempted, although not many companies seem to know this, because they never read the Landrover alignment guide! I can’t see why you would weight the whole car on the Lotus? I want it set up for just me in it. I suspect this is all a bit irrelevant when you are just popping out for a coffee every now and then and not screaming around the track on a track day.

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

I do intend to let Northampton motor sport tune it on a rolling road. I have reached the limit of what I can do with my equipment. Its so much better than before, but still not good enough.

Hopefully they won't cause any damage when strapping it down for the dyno testing.

Margate Exotics.

Fabian, I think you need to read up on what is involved in setting up suspension geometry. It is not just weighting a car and alignment.

I did say weigh the car. Track Torque  Racing weighed each corner, under the wheels to make sure it is level, after weighting it accordingly. Something I suspect your Turbo is not currently judging by your photos, as it appears tail high. Without that basis your alignment will be in doubt I suspect. A good, reliable tuning place will be able to assess and adjust your thorough preparation as a basis, as they did with my S1 work.

What shock absorbers have you fitted to your Turbo?

42 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Northampton Motorsport also do geometry set-ups. Two birds with one stone!

There's your solution Fabian!

20 hours ago, Fridge said:

Some of the pictures of my car were done after the car had been jacked up. Heres one where it has been driven, look at the back wheel height and compare it to the arch. My entire suspension is new. The springs are also new as per the originals and I have factory rear shocks - no adjustment. I believe the rear height is correct and where it should be, Some of the well known pictures you see the car was weighted down to give it a lower stance. Heres a picture of the Bond ca4 and mine for comparison. Notice how high the front is sitting! FE19B441-D919-41D0-A231-7432A7F360BE.thumb.png.e60e9e095ec5923d0883aaa39cdba626.png

96436EA8-05DC-4FBB-851F-845EF5812CD4.thumb.png.a2aa626428c9d420284a739c78931fa0.png

I would say in these pics the rears are about the same height. If you look at the Bond film scene where he pulls up at the ice rink you will see the rear wheel is about where mine is. 

• Like 2

Yes that especially happens on the rear owing to the suspension design it goes ito massive camber when jacked up owing to the huge difference in upper vs lower link lengths.

Then when dropped down it cant reset owing to tyre friction on the ground.

• Like 2

Heres a picture of a pristine dr6 sump you might know. Look at the suspension height.69CACDE2-A192-40A4-957B-4DF9C904CA9D.thumb.png.7b7db1ef96f70704fe9f639dc3121f78.pngThink this proves conclusively that some of the stock photos have the car weighted down for the pictures.

• Like 1

No doubt at all that some of the press shots either had weights or the rubber spring platforms removed. Anyway the figure is very clear in the manual, 170mm from bottom of cross member to ground for all Esprits. 

Unfortunately the lowest point on the Turbo is the bottom of the rad tray so lowering the car is a bit of a risk anyway.

@Lotusfabif you catch the most recent episode of Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars it shows a late 50's car being aligned using the parallel string method, but also weighing the car at each corner. Though it only very briefly explains the more fundamental principles of why it's done. Worth watching.

9 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I have finally reached the end of the journey with these cars. Its now only a matter of maintenance and tuning. I am now doing major building work on my house! When covid is over and we can travel I will be traveling to Cortina to finally draw a line under my Lotus journey. 
My issues started when I was 10 years old and the Spy Who Loved Me came out at the cinema! I can finally put this to rest having built two Bond cars, when I only really aspired to the S1. I shall enjoy driving them when we are allowed. The good news for you all is my wife assures me as soon as I cop it she will be selling both of them! 

Well done Fab, been a great trip so far but the journey's not over until you remove the key for the final time. Would be great to see them some day when the world reopens. Be well and have a nice smug smile on your face for a job well done. 

• Like 1