Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Drones... - Page 18 - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Drones...

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't realise you were a drone videographer/pilot @Bibs - is that a full time job or a hobby ?

As regards drones and cars, I quite like this video. You have probably already seen it. It's amazing how they fly around and through some expensive machinery !

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

On 03/06/2021 at 18:14, Bling said:

a drone pilot

**cough, cough** a drone operator… 😜😉

37 minutes ago, Bibs said:

It's 249g so exempt from most laws and can fly pretty much anywhere that's not an FRZ (close to an airport)

Please, please, please tell me that you’ve still got to keep it under 400ft AGL? 😳

The CAA call us 'Remote Pilots'. I prefer Maverick :D

Yup, drone code still applied so 400ft and 500m (or VLOS, whichever is closest) but you can overfly and there are no minimum distances from PVVS, just to 'fly safe'. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

The CAA call us 'Remote Pilots'. I prefer Maverick :D

Hmmm, looks like they call you 'flyers':

Flyer ID

The flyer is the person who flies the drone or model aircraft.

🤣

6 hours ago, dave excell said:

That looks like Alesford. Uused to cycle through it on theway to my first job in Chatham Royal Dockyard

Used to spend many a happy drunken hour in the Little Gem 🍺

I tried to buy it! As it turns out, a friend did buy it and it's now been sold again to the local brewery, Goachers in Maidstone which is great news! It's been closed a while, and someone applied for planning to turn it into a house, but it looks like it's going back to a pub again! 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 09:05, Bibs said:

Had a DJI Mavic Mini 2 delivered last week. It's 249g so exempt from most laws and can fly pretty much anywhere that's not an FRZ (close to an airport), anytime without needing to complete RAMS etc for each flight. 

From parking to flying, taking pics and getting back in the car was under 3 minutes for this pic. It's not amazing but for what it is, very impressive!

I have lost touch with Drones as lost interest. I was into them a few years ago and built a couple of DIY drones using Arduino flight controller initially and then a DJI A1 as well as a racing drone. I then got a DJI Phantom and that was a game changer. It just worked without the need for lots of parameter tweaking and matching components. The batteries on the DJI controller died and I never got round to replacing them. That was the last time I flew as soon after, lots of regs and registration came in to play and I lost interest.

I didn't know about the Mini 2. Thanks for posting about it. It looks really interesting. The fact it is under 250g, exempt from some of the regs and so portable is making me think about getting back into drones 👍

I still have lots of parts left over from those days although tech has probably moved on

2020-12-30 15.00.34.JPG

2020-12-30 14.37.57.JPG

• Like 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• Gold FFM

The Yuneec Breeze drone I have is a bit crap, actually it's quite crap when compared to what you can get now; it's just a toy really. The battery lasts no more than 9 minutes, has poor wifi so loses connection when through trees, no fine adjustment for camera etc. The lack of battery capacity means just as you're getting used to it and having fun it's time to land. Really tempted to get the DJI Mini 2 Fly More kit or something bigger, however...

@Bibs, looking at the No Fly Drones website it looks like I'm restricted on where I can fly. I live in the orange area north of Inverness in the image below which is designated as "Restricted Area". Where can I find out more about these "specific conditions" and will the DJI software just stop it from flying at all? Obviously stay well away from the red area. There's been a few military exercises there lately, could hear them bombing the crap out of the area a month or so ago!

image.png.a5992b35cf29876957992d31a3c1fbec.png

image.png.b79e646850b329f42c0dab437ca175e6.png

image.png.9a86a8b8e27773eca25f8a1348cc3b84.png

A huge amount of the Highlands is marked as Restricted Area, why? I can only think of low level military aircraft flying.

Signature not working...

Have a check of this before you go out Alan and just ensure you fly outside of their operational hours. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operational-low-flying-training-timetable

As you've more than likely seen, military aircraft can fly extremely low and at quite some pace so you'd want to just let them get on with it and pop the drone up during the available times. 👍

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bibs said:

As you've more than likely seen, military aircraft can fly extremely low

They often fly very very low over our area, both combat planes and helicopters, we live on one side of a valley and 1 day 4 chinooks flew down the valley, one was below a level line across the valley. I think the combat planes are on a training run to somewhere on Dartmoor. Occasionally you can feel them as well as hear them. 

• Like 1