Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 5 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

On 27/01/2017 at 21:18, Steve4012 said:

I've also just got some decals off Alan for my '81 turbo. Doesn't your '84 have the larger 160mm decals as standard with the thicker stripes on the sides Wayne? The '85 model has the smaller 116mm and the thin pinstripes on the sides.

It's a bit unclear if you ask me. The manual states. Prior to 85 small sides and large nose under the round black and gold nose badge. But it has the federal repeaters. The one you suggest is after 85 with no nose decal and the small pinstripes with the green oval shaped nose badge. This is drawn as a U.K. Car with the side repeaters where they should be. ?

2 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Wayne, have you changed the forward trailing arm bushes? Much easier when the engine is out.

Why did you have to say that out load Ian...... sigh.... we all know what happens now... don't we... lol 

On 28/01/2017 at 02:41, silverfrost said:

Great news Wayne on the decals, will have a look at that chaps site,  good work on the tanks also. :thumbup:   Building airfix model planes as a kid, it was always sticking on the tranfers i used to most look forward to, well second to glueing the pilot in and glass canopy on. :blush: But turbo esprit decals are going to look the bomb, I would be proper excited fitting those decals  :thumbup:

My paint guy Steve is going to give the car a re-mop when I'm finished and running so it's a way off yet but getting closer. Totally with you about the airfix models... 

Wayne

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, top-plumber said:

Why did you have to say that out load Ian...... sigh.... we all know what happens now... don't we... lol 

Yeah -you ignore it along with the chassis coolant pipes and the oil seal :sofa:

• Like 2

Only here once

You're right Wayne it's not very clear in the manual on the changeover in decal size. The manual says both "turbo- 1985 model year on' and gives measurements for smaller decals but on the previous page states they were reduced in size during '83. I really think this is supposed to say '85. My early 85 turbo has small decals and no nose decal which I believe to be original and after various google images searches they do seem to go from large to small side decals around during the same time as the colour coded bumpers in '85. There do not seem to be many examples of larger side stripes with smaller side decals. Alan's  prices are very reasonable though so it's no big deal really as long as you like it :)

9 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Yeah -you ignore it along with the chassis coolant pipes and the oil seal :sofa:

Cynics...?. chassis pipes are ok as I have replaced the rubber hoses with silicone all the way up to that point. Changed the bolts behind the flywheel and the seal also looked intact. I know looks aren't everything. ? However if they let me down it will just come out again. ??✌️️

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

6 minutes ago, Steve4012 said:

You're right Wayne it's not very clear in the manual on the changeover in decal size. The manual says both "turbo- 1985 model year on' and gives measurements for smaller decals but on the previous page states they were reduced in size during '83. I really think this is supposed to say '85. My early 85 turbo has small decals and no nose decal which I believe to be original and after various google images searches they do seem to go from large to small side decals around during the same time as the colour coded bumpers in '85. There do not seem to be many examples of larger side stripes with smaller side decals. Alan's  prices are very reasonable though so it's no big deal really as long as you like it :)

Hey Steve. Mine has the round nose badge and decal beneath so I have gone with that and followed the manual. Going to see how it looks, like you said not expensive and won't be hard to change.

wayne

10 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

Hey Steve. Mine has the round nose badge and decal beneath so I have gone with that and followed the manual. Going to see how it looks, like you said not expensive and won't be hard to change.

wayne

IMG_1588.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

• Like 2

On 29/01/2017 at 12:52, Steve4012 said:

wayne

Looking good.:thumbsup:

At this rate, I guess you will be coming in the car on Sunday:sofa:

• Like 1

Hey lads, the car is coming along a treat and I'm pleased that having put a battery on her all of the electrics seem to work so far. 

I had to machine the studs out of the manifold as they were so stubborn to remove, even after oxy acetylene torching.

I can now look at getting the engine back in the hole and trying to get her running. I'm very confident that the car will run . 

The black S4 has some interest so fingers crossed there also. 

Bolted up the manifold and wastegate and placed the turbo in situ. Had to machine out all the studs in the 2 piece manifold as they were all totally knackered. Replaced with 10mm st/steel and copper plated lock nuts at the turbo end and 8mm high tensile with washers and cad plated nuts the other end. Hope the 8mm hold up as 10mm bolts are impossible the get in with locking nuts, just no clearance for the nut. Suppose that's why studs are standard. 

Wayne

• Like 1

Bolted up the manifold and wastegate and placed the turbo in situ. Had to machine out all the studs in the 2 piece manifold as they were all totally knackered. Replaced with 10mm st/steel and copper plated lock nuts at the turbo end and 8mm high tensile with washers and cad plated nuts the other end. Hope the 8mm hold up as 10mm bolts are impossible the get in with locking nuts, just no clearance for the nut. Suppose that's why studs are standard. 

Wayne

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

Awesome job Wayne,   One thing on the trailing arm mounts though,  And i could be wrong,  but i am sure when i last removed mine, the large washer on the inside was a larger diameter than the hole in the chassis,  I thought it was made this way so that if the rubber part fails the arm is still kept sort of in situ as the larger washer and nut cant be pulled out in the event of total failure ?  

But like i say its years since i stripped mine out and could well be wrong, :)

• Like 1

A

Dunno about this engine, but I found that if I put the LH engine mount bolt through the engine leg, I had to unbolt the leg again, because I couldn't put the bolt in from the top as it wouldn't clear the exhaust manifold. Hope you got it sorted, Wayne. Good move with the radius arm bushes, too!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

3 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Awesome job Wayne,   One thing on the trailing arm mounts though,  And i could be wrong,  but i am sure when i last removed mine, the large washer on the inside was a larger diameter than the hole in the chassis,  I thought it was made this way so that if the rubber part fails the arm is still kept sort of in situ as the larger washer and nut cant be pulled out in the event of total failure ?  

But like i say its years since i stripped mine out and could well be wrong, 

I did take a look after you mentioned it and I think the original washers are the same.. looking at the previous pictures.

2 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Dunno about this engine, but I found that if I put the LH engine mount bolt through the engine leg, I had to unbolt the leg again, because I couldn't put the bolt in from the top as it wouldn't clear the exhaust manifold. Hope you got it sorted, Wayne. Good move with the radius arm bushes, too!

That's right Ian. Have to pass the bolt through the leg and then bolt to the leg to the engine. 

Wasted 3 hours last night dicking around with the manifold trying to bolt it to the head. After 3 attempts I got it all bolted up just to have a stud spin. .......?

I have a heavy cold so the engine will have to wait a few days. 

On a brighter note I verbally shook hands on the sale of the Black S4. I have hated having the car parked on the road so will be sad to see it go but relieved at the same time. ?✌️️

• Like 1