Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Radio / Head unit questions - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Radio / Head unit questions

Very nice installation. I am surprised given the shockingly bad level of entertainment/ head unit fitted to cars worth a lot of money there aren’t more aftermarket options.

I am afraid I don’t have the skill level to create something this good!! 

I'm tempted to get this

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay/pioneer-avh-z7100dab-7-multimedia-apple-carplay-android-auto-dab-bluetooth-usb-flip-out-system

As I need something with carplay to show maps. 

Has anyone installed a single din flip screen and ever had any problems with the mech screen fouling the lip above where the single din slot is?

The other thing you need to be aware of, is the fouling of indicator stalks. Some flip outs clear them and some do not.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

On 16/10/2018 at 14:38, Lo2zz said:

I'm tempted to get this

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/apple-carplay/pioneer-avh-z7100dab-7-multimedia-apple-carplay-android-auto-dab-bluetooth-usb-flip-out-system

As I need something with carplay to show maps. 

Has anyone installed a single din flip screen and ever had any problems with the mech screen fouling the lip above where the single din slot is?

You need a 10mm spacer. Also if you intend to keep flipping it you need to shorten the indicator, I posted a guide on here a while back. Will find it if needed. 

Might swap to the Alipine Halo to see how it fits, but want to see the screen in the flesh which isn’t easy these days as nobody seems to stock single din so might have to take a punt 

Alpine Halo9 looks interesting. Wonder if the screen resolution is any better than the Pioneer. It’s certainly bigger!

You would lose the use of the central vents permanently (not that I’ve used mine since I installed the Pioneer) and securing it properly might be a problem as it appears very front heavy and might need additional fixings behind the dash.

And a heads up, Waze and Google maps have appeared as apps in Apple CarPlay with the latest iOS. You might not notice unless you swipe to the second screen.

43 minutes ago, KJD said:

Alpine Halo9 looks interesting. Wonder if the screen resolution is any better than the Pioneer. It’s certainly bigger!

You would lose the use of the central vents permanently (not that I’ve used mine since I installed the Pioneer) and securing it properly might be a problem as it appears very front heavy and might need additional fixings behind the dash.

And a heads up, Waze and Google maps have appeared as apps in Apple CarPlay with the latest iOS. You might not notice unless you swipe to the second screen.

Screen resolution is listed as the same. It’s fine in all the apps, it’s only the icons on the side shortcuts that annoy me, oh and background pics. But day to day and in CarPlay the pioneer seems fine.

These days apple maps seem better than Waze for traffic, but that might just be the area I’m in. 

I like Waze for the camera warnings.

Not sure if that feature works with the CarPlay integration. Looks like some things have been “compromised” to keep Apple happy.

I”ll have to go for a drive...

Google maps looks quite flash though, with the satellite images and traffic info.

41 minutes ago, KJD said:

I like Waze for the camera warnings.

Not sure if that feature works with the CarPlay integration. Looks like some things have been “compromised” to keep Apple happy.

I”ll have to go for a drive...

Google maps looks quite flash though, with the satellite images and traffic info.

With the new iOS, Waze now works on car play :D 

47 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Apple bang the drum to their own beat. 

Apple - rotten to the core.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Waze works fine, it just seems to struggle with traffic updates and closed roads outside of big towns or motorways. But it’s like that CarPlay or not.

Camera integration still work really well. 

There are plenty of places on the internet to argue about weather or not Apple are shit. Do we need to bring it here?

Just sharing my experience in the hope it helps someone.

I spent years persevering with Nokia. Now that was proper shit.

4 minutes ago, mark248am said:

Here are pictures of the Alpine Halo 9 installed in the Lotus. Doesn't block the AC vents which is great!

33757641_1791324474222485_1805059636500365312_n.jpg

33811077_1791324387555827_7371342401782153216_n.jpg

33841583_1791324374222495_1798361695131795456_n.jpg

Lotus_iLX-F309E_1-2.jpg

Lotus_iLX-F309E_2-2.jpg

Yes, vents are exposed but no use if you can’t see the controls to make them work!

4 minutes ago, mark248am said:

Here are pictures of the Alpine Halo 9 installed in the Lotus. Doesn't block the AC vents which is great!

33757641_1791324474222485_1805059636500365312_n.jpg

33811077_1791324387555827_7371342401782153216_n.jpg

33841583_1791324374222495_1798361695131795456_n.jpg

Lotus_iLX-F309E_1-2.jpg

Lotus_iLX-F309E_2-2.jpg

Very nice. Presume this isn’t your car by the colours? Heater control looks to be blocked from view, but still reachable.

Good to finally see in the car

Not mine, just found these pics online. I don't have an issue with the radio, my issue is with the speakers. in my previous Exige I upgraded the 4 speakers, head unit and installed a mini amp and the sound was still crap, loud but crap. unless a sub is going to be involved in the upgrade its not really worth it.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2018 at 20:38, mark248am said:

Not mine, just found these pics online. I don't have an issue with the radio, my issue is with the speakers. in my previous Exige I upgraded the 4 speakers, head unit and installed a mini amp and the sound was still crap, loud but crap. unless a sub is going to be involved in the upgrade its not really worth it.

Yep, a sub is about the only thing that sorts the sound out. Rear speakers help, but with most sound coming from the 10cm fronts, a sub is needed