Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The birth of LotusRescue - Page 17 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The birth of LotusRescue

Good to hear an update from you these last few weeks. You had gone worryingly quiet…. 😆

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see another one 'rescued'.

• Gold FFM

Ah well, she tried. 47 miles and she died on me. Checked all the usual items and no joy. Lots of chat with AA and PC plod who were all good by the way, and an hour later she started again. Decision made to head for home and AA happy chappie suggested he would follow us the full distance home as if we broke down again, AA policy is no second call out for the same fault, so AA chappie put into his system, pole tow home :). Anyway, same distance and she did exactly the same, just died. It was noted that both times it happened (52 miles the 2nd time) was when we slowed down for a roundabout on the dual carriageway ( an indication of lack of fuel on demand !!) regardless happy AA guy offered to run me home so I could collect my own truck and come back and fetch her, he explained it could be 3 to 4 hrs before a suitable low bed would be available to recover her. No sweat, offer accepted. Home get the truck, go back, pick her up and back to safety. On returning for her about 1.5 hrs later, obviously she bloody started and drove onto the truck. At this point I was thinking fuel evaporation as it was a bloody hot day, then speaking to a mate of mine this I mentioned that the fuel pump that I fitted, didn't drop out when the system was up to pressure, just kept running. Kerching, lightbulb moment, ( I hope) could it be the fuel pump is over fueling and pressurising the system to where when she is on low revs i.e at a roundabout for example she is flooding as she backfires immediately to cutting out. Replacement SU pump sourced this morning (Monday) and will be fitted tomorrow and do another run just to see. I also have a fuel pressure regulator that I can fit into the system if required.

Anyone have any other thoughts. Coil was checked to make sure it wasn't breaking down and spark was good at the time she stopped so guessing the coils fine.

Sounds like impaired fuel flow to me. Had an Alpine long ago in which the tanks had been painted internally, and when that flaked off it largely but not entirely clogged the outlets, starving the engine. After sitting for a time enough fuel would seep through to permit starting and running for a short distance until again fuel flow came up short of demand.

Good luck

It sounds similar to issues I have encountered with fuel pump failure (Excel and Sunbeam, though a non-standard pump on the Excel that got very hot when it was failing). Was it an original SU pump?

• Gold FFM

None original pump on her. That will change tomorrow as I now have a spare SU which I will fit and see if there is any changes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Couple of better pics of Sundays show.

457138115_8207611635970901_7685489401871175969_n.jpg

457259120_8207611165970948_6475972275483731082_n.jpg

457202414_8207610885970976_9018091260918099300_n.jpg

457150741_8207611395970925_6334935954193024948_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks stunning @johnpwalsh. Can they also sort out the paint bubbling issues caused by moisture in the shells that we can get on the Lotus cars?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Thanks @Bibs, you got where I was coming from straight away. My VX is showing a few bubbles on the passenger door that will need looking at...! 👍

I might have a word with them re a colour change :)

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I'm sure they are excellent, but, a bit of trek from Perthshire. :) 👍

The small print.