Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Probably unfeasible due to lack of financial partner but IMO it would help to boost sales in the short term if they extended the 50:50 UK offers to other countries in Europe. Just like they did with the 333 recent offer or the SR itself which is only available in UK & Europe....

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 months later...

Of course its not good to see sales fall, but this is only the UK. The global picture for Lotus is much better - this figure represents only about 12% of total sales if the global figure is over 2000, which is much better than the previous year. And they don't even mention the Exige S!

And come on, Geneva 2010 is now almost 5 years ago - change the record please!

Once again the question which data source was used. Its so early inn2015 that I can't imagine they are official figures for calender year 2014. Much mor likely based on the fiscal year of the manufacturers -which in case of Lotus would mean April 2013-March 2014.

We had the same discussion last year around this time, when Lotus figures for 2012/2013 were published officially. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Actually, we can read the truth here : http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/lotus-records-its-best-half-year-car-sales-since-200809/ 

and definitively here: http://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/lotus-sales-continue-to-grow-65-increase-for-july/

Group Lotus plc had its best month for sports car sales since March 2011, selling 226 cars in July – an increase of 65% compared to July 2013. The UK, up by 110%, and Germany, up by 83%, saw the strongest growth. In addition, as part of these results Lotus Motorsport grew its global sales by 100%.

If I remember correctly, it was the Telegraph with the same incorrect reporting last year.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

When people in the UK want to buy a sports car, they buy a Porsche.  That's what people aspire too, they're a bunch of sheep / morons if you aske me.  The Evora has provide it's one of the best handling sports car and the quality it better than an other Lotus from the past.  Those figures are very depressing if you ask me :(.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ I really liked reading this piece... It sounds both upbeat and grounded, no doom and gloom here, and it comes from Forbes. 

Reading that dealers are purchasing cars and funding their Lotus dealerships upfront is great to read and confidence inspiring for both investors and prospective car buyers, not to mention commercial partners and suppliers.

I really can't wait to see what they have in store for Geneva.

"very soon Evora will howl with the best sports cars." Gales, 2015.

Edited by NedaSay

• 4 weeks later...

sorry im really struggling with this guy, hes starting to sound like a sound bite  sales man....

first he says the Evora400 will be the fastest sub £100k car on track and now to top that he says the following about a car that's 2 years away:-   

Gales also says there has been demand for a successor to the 2-Eleven, and so one is under way for a launch less than two years from now. It has much more power than before and a new design. It will be by far the most expensive Lotus, but, with 400bhp to propel 900kg, "it will be the fastest road car around the Nürburgring," he bravely promises.

in addition, not sure if any of you have sat in a 4c but hes comparing apples and pears. the 4c is massive compared to the elise inside and out (which is the chassis he keeps comparing it to  as apposed to the evoras)....so that should be 52kgs vs 116 kg ...

v odd... 

sorry im really struggling with this guy, hes starting to sound like a sound bite  sales man....

first he says the Evora400 will be the fastest sub £100k car on track and now to top that he says the following about a car that's 2 years away:-   

Gales also says there has been demand for a successor to the 2-Eleven, and so one is under way for a launch less than two years from now. It has much more power than before and a new design. It will be by far the most expensive Lotus, but, with 400bhp to propel 900kg, "it will be the fastest road car around the Nürburgring," he bravely promises.

in addition, not sure if any of you have sat in a 4c but hes comparing apples and pears. the 4c is massive compared to the elise inside and out (which is the chassis he keeps comparing it to  as apposed to the evoras)....so that should be 52kgs vs 116 kg ...

v odd... 

Aside form the fact he's already delivered on his promises made so far?

Dealers are getting cars on time, cars are arriving on time and exceeding expectations.   So far i'd say all the tangible things he's promised have materialised so why do we think that won't happen going forward ? 

• Like 1

By the sound of it the New Eleven is going to be quite some beast, a pure track monster just below 99k  probably GT4 compliant. I Hope the design will be a departure from Elige.  

Both Elise and Exige are going to get VVA underpinnings it seems, Exige already has the rear section while  Elise still uses it's own rear subframe. Both cars will benefit hugely from the change of platform imo. 

I hope JMG will be less shy in the future when it comes to tuning the Toyota internals, right now they barely touched the ECU and air intake...  Some special versions would warrant more in depth of an engine rework.

However if the cars are delivered on time and on budget  and the dealers are satisfied with what they get... This guy is what just Lotus needed a no bullshit can do attitude with enough savvy to stir the ship in the right direction.

JMG told me you need $1bn to properly develop and build your own engine at this level. 

I would question that figure, but agree with JMG that the development is too expensive for Lotus. If you look at the Ricardo deal with McLaren you get a more reasonable idea of the development costs (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/10531573/Ricardo-signs-engine-deal-of-the-century-with-McLaren.html). These have to be recovered somehow, so $100-200 M sound more realistic. 

Now,  for the Toyota engine development that $1bn might be correct, if you include tooling and manufacturing systems. 

I always figured the way to go for Lotus as it pertains to engines is to use one that they already did consulting work on.  It was smart to use the GM Ecotec in the Europa S, though it didn't seem that Lotus promoted he fact that they did the engine.  Don't know if the current Toyota V6 is a product of their consulting work, but it would make perfect sense if it was, and promoting as such would go some way to improving Lotus' image (if it was true).

Kyle Kaulback

all they needed to do was get the toyota engine and put lotus developed/modified cylinder heads on them ..alfa did that with the GM v6 engines. it would have diffrentiated the engines from the camry association

Alfa could do it cause they get the engines before they are finished and they get to play with the insides cause they'll sell these v6 by the 10s of thousands which is a lot easier to sell to the accountants and shareholders. Lotus needs to make it work by selling less than 3000 cars of which about a thousands are 4 cyl. The scale at which they operate means that they have to ask nicely or have the Toyota warranty void before a car leaves the factory.